Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #1

First of all PLEASE dont tell me that I don't have enough truck.........
Now.... When towing I have heard Not to use the overdrive and cruise I recently read that towing was a dream just put on the cruise and go.. I have a 2003 6.0 and it runs Great (Ithink some people just got a monday or fri 6.0)
I dont ned to be preached at just would like some info....

Thanks

Tom Grogan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #2

First of all PLEASE dont tell me that I don't have enough truck.........
Now.... When towing I have heard Not to use the overdrive and cruise I recently read that towing was a dream just put on the cruise and go.. I have a 2003 6.0 and it runs Great (Ithink some people just got a monday or fri 6.0)
I dont ned to be preached at just would like some info....

Thanks

Tom Grogan

Old 10-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
My rule of thumb has been to just do whatever it takes to not let the tranny keep "hunting" for the right gear, or the engine to run lugged.
If you can tow that beautiful combination of yours, without the tranny jumping back and forth, and with the engine R's in the 'good range', then run it in your tall gear (OD).
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks If the tranny starts"Hunting" take it out or OD Correct???

Thanks Again

Tom
Old 10-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
yea Tom, thats what I was saying.
I've towed many miles with my trailer while in OD. If I can get away with it you can sure bet I'm going to do it.
But once the tranny starts hunting, in my case that is dropping back and forth from 4 to 3 to 4 again, .... then i lock it out of OD and if necessary take my foot just a smidgeon off the gas and we drive that way very comforatably. It is usually just in hilly terrain that I lock out of OD into the next lower gear and it drives very smoothly there.
But it has NO problem pulling my trailer in OD if the terrain and traffic allow me to keep the R's and speed at that level.

I have never used my cruise much,
and probably never while towing,
but likewise I see no problem with doing it from a mechanical point of view.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:52 AM   #6

When the roads are flat, I use both cruise and overdrive. On hills, especially small to medium up/down hills I take it out of cruise and let it gain momentum (speed) as I go down and slow a little as I go up. The cruise cant "see" that next hill coming at you. I drop out of OD in hills. I like to run with RPM's in the 2000 to 2250 range for the torque curve. I dont tow over 65MPH. My rear gears are 4.10 so the above strategy works for me. I think your 6.0 might need to run slightly higher RPM's than my 7.3 to find it's sweet spot.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:38 AM   #7

With the 6.0 and automatic you cannot "turn off" the overdrive. The switch in the shifter end is for Tow/Haul which changes line pressures, shift points etc and keeps the revs higher (which the 6.0 really likes) . It also will close the vanes on the turbo on deceleration and downshift to produce engine braking on long downhill runs. It appears to be almost "foolproof" and will not allow over-reving...longevity however remains to be proven....I have my fingers crossed on that and am sevicing mine (fluid/external filter every 25,000 miles. Do be sure to use Mercon SP fluid as that is the ONLY approved fluid so far.
Ian
Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #8

Thanks again,,, My 1st trip inMarch will be from Destin Fl to AZ When I hit the hill country of Texas Iguess I shouldtake it out of od..Doesnt it make the engine work harder out of OD?? As you can see I cn play Golf but anything else I am kinda stupid

Thanks

Tom Grogan
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Like said before, tow/haul and OD are different. If you have the tow/haul option, put it in tow/haul mode and let the tranny do its thing. If you do not have tow/haul mode, go ahead and tow in OD until you hit the hills, then only take it out of OD when you need to. I do most of my towing in OD and use cruise quite a bit towing my 31' 5ver.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #10

Thanks... I do have tow/haul... can I use the cruise when I have the tow?haul on??

Thanks again

Tom
Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #11

Hello THANKS a lot of info there I am bringing mine in for the oil change and filters When you mentioned changing fluid do you mean in th e tranny every 25ooo and is ther a filter there??Do you use cruise when in tow/haul??
Thanks

Tom
Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom

just got back from Indiana. I always use Tow/Haul when the trailer is hooked up. Turned on cruise control as soon as I hit Rte 80/90 and never turned it off unless I was getting off for fuel.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #13

Destin, as a 6.0 PSD with Torqshift I found that using cruise control either in Tow/Haul or not just makes things easy. The computer will make things work to optimum.
This summer we towed 2400 miles one way and the Torqshift worked like a charm. Up and down mountains, either on cruise or not it felt like the computer and tranny were in control. Never had the white knuckle experience going down the Rockies on I70 in Colorado. Just selected a speed on cruise, clicked on tow/haul and "let 'er eat".
I had previously used a gasser with gear shift selection for OD. Believe me, the PSD is better, cause you don't have to decide to use OD or not.
Ken

2006 Mobile Scout 31 BWKS
53 Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #14

Yes the filter is under the hood, and Fd says change it every 30,000 miles as well as drain the trans pan. Internal filter is only to be changed on a major repair according to Fords!
Again ...make absolutely sure that the fluid is Merco SP. Some less than competent folks have suggested that Mercon 5 or some other stuff was OK. According to the manufacturere it is NOT and could damage the trans and negate warranty ...
Ian