Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
ctd

Hi, I have a truck camper and am considering changing over to a trailer. In deciding which to get I considered campgrounds and noticed that in yosemite for example they allow a 24 ft travel trailer in a 40 ft long space which can accomidate a 40 ft RV. I am thinking that a 27 ft 5th wheel would back like a 23ft tt because of the relationship of the hitch positions, am I right in this. I drive a longbed 07 duramax extracab.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
ctd

Hi, I have a truck camper and am considering changing over to a trailer. In deciding which to get I considered campgrounds and noticed that in yosemite for example they allow a 24 ft travel trailer in a 40 ft long space which can accomidate a 40 ft RV. I am thinking that a 27 ft 5th wheel would back like a 23ft tt because of the relationship of the hitch positions, am I right in this. I drive a longbed 07 duramax extracab.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy.... Glad to see you on iRV2.

A 5er dose not back anything like a travel trailer (TT). It takes some getting use to backing a 5er, but once you get the hang of it, you can back a 5er into places you would not think of putting a TT.

They also do not pull the same and will cut inside more on a corner than does a TT.

The 5er hitch (pivot point)is almost over or slight forward of the truck axle. The TT is about 4' Plus behind the truck axle.

Ken
Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #4

CTD,

welcome to the forum.....you know as a Duramax owner, having CTD as a handle would get you picked on in some diesel circles, but here..... we are just happy you are here.

I went from an 8 1/2 foot Frontier slide in pulling a 21 foot utility trailer on most expeditions (pre - kids being older enough to know better), to a 25 foot Komfort fifth wheel bunk model.

The backwards manouvering with a fifth is impressive, as well as tight turning circles when nothing is on the inside of the corner. You will need to keep in mind that the trailer will track more inside the corner than a travel trailer. Now whether you can state that a 27ft fifth equals a 23ft TT - I would have to say that it depends on the skill of the driver. They back differently, and different imaginative skills are required.

Off highway gets a little trickier if you are doing some really off kilter angles - I have done some damage to truck and trailer, but I brought the biggest trailer to the location and put it into the tightest spot - in short, I deserved what I got for going through ditches and fields and such.

overall to give my 2 cents - I have put my trailer 33ft overall length in places that others haven't been able to put 24 ft TT. Thier trailer did fit, but I coached him in for sake of thier marriage.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Welcome to iRV2!

I have owned both, switching from a TT to a 5er two years ago. I still miss towing a TT. In my opinion it was much easier to back a TT into place than the 5er is. I have not noticed much difference in towing except that the 5er does make the ride a little rough if the highway is not very smooth. Hitching a 5er is certainly much easier.

Having the ability to turn tighter does not make much difference as my truck won't turn a tight circle anywhere.

The inside amenities offered by the 5er are certainly nicer than what is available in most TTs.

I guess it just boils down to personal preference. Good luck with your decision process.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #6

Well I too have had both. I will never go back to a TT. Travel trailers I think are easier to back into a spot because the trailer will take off in a direction without the truck being at 45 degrees to the trailer. The down side of TT is their terrible road manners. They are unstable in every way compared to a 5er. They porpois, and sway even with a sway controller and you have the weight distributing hitches etc, etc. If a large truck passes you at 75, watch out. That tt will be in the next lane.

5ers, by comparison, are so nice to tow. They have very good road manners and are just heavy.As others have said they track to the inside of a turn so be mindful of this after being used to towing a tt.TFor a 5er to turn when backing up you almost have to get the truck at right angles to the 5er to turn it so I find that they need more space to back in especially the ones over 37 feet long.

Its your decision but I would lean to a 5er because they tow so well and they are so comfortable.You just have to get used to backing them.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
ctd

looks like my name got changed, I miss my cummins but wanted the 6 sp auto and no cat so ended up with the Chev. Bought it to carry a camper so got the long bed, now if I get a trailer I wont be able to turn so good. for those of you that have 4WD do you have a hard time finding a 5th wheel that you can get under. My bed rails are about 60 inches off the ground and I understand that you should have 5-6 inches clearance from the bed rails to the trailer. That makes for a high 5er
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #8

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
CTD , Welcome to iRv2.com
Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #9

CTD, welcome to this site and the people here are great! I like my CTD and in fact liked it so much I bought a second CTD truck. This one a 3500 quad cab, long bed 08 4 wheel drive is a monster with that new 6.9 Cummins. Yes, it's very high and I have to get the axles flipped on my fiver so there is enough clearance.

On my truck, however, there is an axle spacer that if removed will lower the truck almost 2 inches. Perhaps the Duramax are similar. Check with your dealer or, like with the Dodge crowd, there is the TDR where there is way more info then most dealers can even absorb. Perhaps there is a like group dedicated to your truck. Check there. Good luck on finding more info.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #10

CTD,

I went out and checked mine and the truck is 57 inches high.

I had the same problem when looking for this trailer, but if you look around you can find some extra height here and there.

I upgraded to slightly bigger trailer tires for the last little bit of hieght. Axles are not flipped, and no spacers or anything.

I am sure like Paul says, there is ways of lowering the truck slightly - I guaratee there is for the Dodge as I was about to do it before I came across the trailer I bought.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #11

2006, 3500 dually Duramax/Allison, longbed, Crewcab, 4x4, with airbags. 39.5 inches bed to ground. No problem getting hitched to my fiver. What's going on?? Is your truck on steroids??
Bed walls add another 19.5 inches. is that what you are measuring??
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glen41:
Bed walls add another 19.5 inches. is that what you are measuring?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that's one of the critical measurements when pulling a 5th wheel. The purpose is to get a minimum 6" between the bottom of the 5th wheel's front overhang and the tops of the bed rails.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote