Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Towing 5th wheel with a RV5.

I'm seriously considering getting a 5th wheel. I have a short bed truck. I know several people that have sliders and claim to have never used them, and I have one friend that don't have a slider at all with his short bed. I don't really feel comfortable going without a slider. But I feel that if I got a manual slider I'd just forget to use it, and I think that the auto-sliders cost too much and are too heavy to remove when not in use. Through researching, I found this Popup RV5 extender...my question is does anybody have any feedback on them?
kamperhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #2

I conducted a search of past posts and I guess I'll beat everybody to the punch and retract my question.
kamperhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Before you retract your question, i'll answer the one that you didn't want to ask anyway ...... if you have a manual slider you really never will forget to set it. And it is a good, viable option.

You get so used to watching out your rear window when you are driving around, watching to see how close th 5'r comes to the rear pillars, that it becomes second nature to know in advance just which turns will benefit from setting the slider back.

They are a good option. Certainly not as handy as an automatic, but significantly cheaper. That option made good sense to me.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Some of the new 5er models have "notched" front corners. Theory is this reduces the need for a slider hitch. Sounds reasonable from the ones I saw.

I had a F-250 SB with a 5er. While I had a Reese manual slider hitch, I didn't use it much unless I was in a tight turn situation. Well, one time I didn't slide the hitch and got into a 90 degree turn. I popped out the rear window and dented the C post next to the window. While it never leaked, the glass place would not give me a no-leak guaranty due to the dent.

IMOHO if you have a SB with a 5er that does not have notched corners, I would go with a slider hitch.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #5

I have the slider on my SB dodge. I was curious, so I tried it (with my wife watching), and we were able to go 90 degrees with no contact with the slider in forward. We were on level ground. Maybe 2 inches of clearance at best. I would not try it in a campground without the slider in the back position.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #6

the only thing that i have noticed with the RV5 is how close the rear of the pinbox gets to the sides of the bed(inside the bed) when turning. it all depends on what truck, hitch, and pinbox u have but still worth telling u about.
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote