Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Muncie_6spd
nice name first of all! and i didn't know that there actually was a city of Muncie.
I have had all shortbeds because i liked the shorter profile for all the offroading i did. Most of my trucks have been 4WD and I have used it. The shorter profile was not only a good idea in theory, but it saved my behind once or twice as well. Now a days??? -well I'm vearing towards the longbed. Next truck i buy in fact will be a LB.

and Skip298,
i didn't want you to think i had discounted your ideas on towing a 5'r with a slider hitch in the back position. They are good and interesting points that you raise. Yes, you have moved the pivot point from 3' in front of the axle to about 10" behind. Obviously this is not optimum. Not at all.
BUT, in my experience with a couple 5'rs this does not lead to blown tires, grinding brakes, damage to springs, steering as light as a feather, and not all tires on the road. It leans in that direction i suppose, ... but you are still quite a long ways away!.
Skip, your words are wise ones though. Wise indeed. It is important pulling these loads that we do to remain safe. Especially for the unexperienced new guys. It has just been my experience however that pulling a 5'r slowly thru city streets in and out of tight driveways is a good use for a slider in the rear position. On the freeway like that though??? well i would think someone should have their head examined for doing that.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #16

Fatdog,
Thanks for replying with your personal experience towing for short distances when in situation that might require sharper turns.

Mike,
Thanks for your comment and question. This is pretty much a personal issue in most cases I would suspect, however, a long bed might be required in situations with a heavy trailer that does not allow an extended pin.
My reasons were that I don't like the looks of the long bed with a crew cab, they take more room to park, stick out in the street farther, are heavier and won't fit in most garages.

Everyone, I have no intentions on towing down the HWY with the slider extended. I was just looking for some experience on in town slow driving with a straight pin box, no extension.

The question is not something that fits a "One Size Fits All" answer. The road conditions, length of the shortbed between Ford, Chevy and Dodge. 1 ton verses 3/4 ton, weight on the trailer pin and GVWR of the truck and single verses dually.
Thanks for all your help. LIKENIT
1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #17

No Problem...I learned something too...I live in the back country and usually have lots of room to manouvre,(although relatively inexpeirenced) I would probably find your method very helpful when I do get into some towns or localls that have lots of sharper turns and narrow intersections...I now know that I can drop it back and use it to tow at lower city speeds and not worry about taking the back seat drivers head off on a sharp right turn.....its not the worry part. its the whinning part after.

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #18

Fatdog,
Thanks, I modified the Muncie 4spd name to suit my truck. The Muncie 4spd transmission was built here in Muncie, thus the name. We had two manual transmission plants here, Borg Warner and Chevrolet/GM. Borg sold there transmission line to Tremec in Mexico, they still make transfer cases here and GM is shutting down their plant now.
I had not considered the advantages of a short bed for 4WD uses, it's pretty much flat around here so I haven't needed a 4WD. I have always had a longbed 2WD with LS rear end, sort of a poor man's 4WD.
LIKENIT,
You're right about the garage problem, my Supercab longbed will not fit in my garage, but my garage is so short I'm not sure a shortbed would fit either. I have considered building a barn to keep the truck, camper and boat in, just haven't convinced the wife it's better to have a barn than the view out back she likes so well.
Good luck!

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... just haven't convinced the wife it's better to have a barn than the view out back she likes so well. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Muncie,
If we are given the option of a having a barn to hold toys (that i would plumb for a sink, refridge, and stereo, etc....) or having a wife happy with the view ..... well right now i would be shopping for roses, perfume, a small diamond, and practicing some soft prose in front of a mirror waiting for her to walk in the door. These situations can often call for underhandedness by our half of the species.
And thanks for the interesting heads-up on the trannies. I had two turbo 400's back in my Chevelle days. Nice for rodding, albeit still autos.

See you Sliders later, LB or SB,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #20

Fatdog,

Those are good ideas you have, I may try some of them. I tried buying a house with a 40'X 60' barn with a 14' ceiling, she said the house was too big for two of us,,, and too expensive. It definitely was but that barn was NICE!!
Have a great Thanksgiving!

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have a sb chevy excab with a 16k Reese slider. I hardly ever use the slider. You really have to turn sharp for it to hit. I have used it a few times when backing, it seems to trailer is easier to back with it slid back.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #22

diandtom,

You must have an extended pin for your pinbox. I was referring to towing with a stright pin box with a shortbox truck in the initial post.
I presently have a trailer with the longest extended pin and I have never used my slider with that either.
1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:13 AM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
It does extend out some but it is what comes with the Arctic Fox. I have not changed anything.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote