Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Towing 5th wheel with side bed boxes on the pickup... does anyone do it?

we are wanting to trade our motorhome in on a 5th wheel trailer, but my Ram 350 has side bed boxes mounted on the side of the bed. the boxes stick up 6"higher than the bed rails, and end about 6" behind the axle (I think the length of the boxes are 60")...

can the trailer be raised high enough to clear the boxes? or is a longer pin box a better option?.... both? is it even possible?

the front of the trailer we are looking at, with the current pin box, would stop about an inch short of contacting the side boxes on the pickup. as the trailer is set up now, it would clear the bed rails about 6", so the bottom edge of the front of the trailer is at the same height as the top of the side boxes....

all experienced input is welcome... Thank you
tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #2

It can be done. You will have to make sure that the camper clears the boxes as you turn. The rule of thumb is 6" vertical height above the highest part of the bed. The pin box turns with the camper inside the bed so clearance is going to be an issue with that in a tighter turn. Reese makes a pin box that is called a Sidewinder that may be able to work in your case. [URL]https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-King-Pin/Reese/RP61420.html[URL]
jtobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:08 AM   #3

Post a picture or two of your truck. I think it might be tough to make it work if I understand your bed situation.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #4

Lots of people have clearance problems with modern truck bed heights. And you want to add height too with bed boxes?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #5

Yes, need a pic of the side boxes--I think you are going to hit them at some point in an off-angle sharp turn no matter how you set it up.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

My fifth wheel rides 6" above my bed rails but I have a tri-fold tonneau that I fold up when towing and it sits 2 to 3 inches above the bed rails up front. When backing on flat level pavement the front of the fiver will come within 1" or less from the tonneau. Haven't hit yet and if it gets real close I can air up my hitch for additional clearance. It sounds like you will need at least 10" of bed rail clearance to maybe do it. That is if you like the smooth stuff, off road forget it. If your truck sits high like some of the newer ones lifting your trailer that high may not be practical and expensive. It would probably be less expensive to change out the side boxes and get a bed box than to lift the trailer that much. Good luck.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #7

No way could I do it with my F350. I only have 5-5 1/2" inches as it is. I do have raised rails for a roll up cover that uses up ~1" though.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #8

here is a photo...
the truck is a standard height ram 3500 (no lift kits) with an 8ft bed. its 63" from the ground to the top of the boxes.
and when talking modifications of pin boxes or suspension, expensive is relative...
I have a full service welding/fab and heavy duty repair shop at my disposal.

I am familiar with the interference issues involved, but as this will be my first 5th wheel RV trailer(as opposed to a gooseneck type equipment trailers) pulled for recreational purposes, I dont know what is available to buy, or how far I can modify what I have to get want I want without removing the storage boxes...

I have seen trailers setting way up off the axles to create ground clearance, or bed clearance on taller trucks, but what are the limitations other than the 14' maximum legal height limit?

I know when turning sharp, even if the front of the trailer were high enough to clear the sideboxes, the pin box could still hit them.... I think this situation could be improved by the use of a pullrite automatic sliding hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_102033.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	179927  
tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

The box height is approx where the 5th wheel should be. You probably should lose the boxes.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #10

There may be a way to make it work, but anytime you start altering the height of the trailer you introduce possible issues elsewhere dynamically. I agree with the idea of coming up with an alternative to your side boxes. JMO.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #11

Scrap the boxes if you want to tow a fiver. You need 6 " clearance min between the truck bed and underside if the fiver. And you need this clearance over most of the bed area as most pin boxes sweep a large area from about 6" in front of the axle and full width of the truck bed. A longer pin box will just sweep an even larger arc and put too much stress on the trailer frame.

I have a utility type bed that has just 50" open bed area but it is also lower than a stock bed so my pin box swings over the storage area.

Under the rail tool boxes that sit forward of the hitch are ok, but otherwise nothing should sit higher than the top of the hitch head.

The Sidewinder is a better alternative than an auto slide hitch because it permanently moves the pivot point which would mean a shorter length pin box is possible with less sweep area. It works for owners that have the RamBox option. But you still need 6" vertical clearance. And finally you won't be able to open the boxes unless the fiver is disconnected.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

You can carry stuff in the bed of your truck as long as it stays lower than the bed rails. I can carry a 8' step ladder and still tow the 5th wheel for example.

Or I can carry totes that stay below the bed rails. The key, they have to be below the bed rails.

If I have something that is above the bed rails it goes right in the middle right behind the cab, like a higher tote.

Along the bed rails like you have are the worse possible place.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #13

The maximum height is not 14', it is 13' 6".
I think your best bet is to get rid of the tool boxes. Raising everything will raise the COG for the trailer, increase the aero drag of the trailer, make it harder to get up into the trailer, etc. Even if you can keep ti below 13' 6".
Old 10-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #14

this will end up the same way , it just depends when you want to do it . If you want to do it at your convenience , take off the boxes at home . OR , let the 5er take it off for you at a more than likely inconvenient time . Either way , the boxes should go IMVHO .
goingtoenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, towing, tow