Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Towing A 23 ft. TT with a Toyota Tacoma

My brother in-law wants to tow a 23 ft. travel trailer with a Toyota Tacoma/ V6 engine. My thoughts are that the Tacoma may be to lite of a truck and also under powered.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as he has not purchased the truck yet and I don't want to give him bad advise since I'm a motorhome guy and have never towed a Travel Trailer before.

Thanks, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

23' could be very light, or very heavy, depending on the trailer.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Tell him to look up the ratings on the plate in the door jam. The trailer should be actually weighed on a scale, the 'dry weight' ratings the manufacturer lists are almost always wrong, it will actually weigh quite a bit more. Also must account for the fuel, people and gear in the truck, again the truck rating is usually based on one small driver. I don't know the year and equipment of the truck or the make of the trailer, but it does sound like it's not a good combo.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm thinking 5000 to 6000 lbs loaded. That in my mind is kinda pushing the limits of a Tacoma.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Even most half-ton Tundras would be overloaded with most 23-foot TTs. The compact Tacoma will be severely overloaded. 2014 Tacoma double-cab V6 max towing capacity is only 3,500 pounds. If he wants a Toy that will drag a decent-sized TT without being overloaded, then go for the Tundra with the 5.7L engine and options that will result in 10,000 pounds towing capacity.
2014 Toyota Tundra specs

That 10,000 pounds max is misleading because it assumes absolutely nothing in the truck but a skinny driver. With the Tundra options that will give 10,000 towing capacity, he can probably choose any TT with GVWR less than about 8,000 pounds without overloading the tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I'm thinking 5000 to 6000 lbs loaded. That in my mind is kinda pushing the limits of a Tacoma.

Sammie
You need actual weights, from the scale, for any trailer you consider. With the advertised tow ratings that SmokeyWren, has listed, anything over 3,000 lbs , would PUSH a Tacoma all over the road.
JMHO. If your B-I-L goes this route , don't let your sister; or anyone you care about; ride with him.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #7

Interesting I just read the 2014 towing capacity for a v6 Toyota tacoma is 6400 with Toyota towing package. And 3500 without Toyota tow package. And that is the double cab.

I also thought toyota was also using the new tow rating SAE J2807.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Interesting I just read the 2014 towing capacity for a v6 Toyota tacoma is 6400 with Toyota towing package.
I looked at the specs on the Tacoma website for a 2014 model and couldn't find any optional towing specs. Do you have a link?

With 6,400 tow rating and hauling almost nothing in the pickup other than hitch weight, then you could probably tow a TT that grosses up to 5,000 pounds before you ran out of payload capacity. However, my F-150 with 8,400 tow rating is overloaded with my TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds. So GCWR and tow rating are not your limiters. GVWR and unused payload capacity for hitch weight are your limiters on Tacomas as well as on half-ton pickups such as my F-150.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

Im sure the little truck will do it...but that is a big trailer for a Tacoma. I dont think id want to regularly tow anything over maybe 20' with that tacoma. My neighbor has a 06 4runner (same drivetrain) and tows a 20' travel trailer and has 0 issues at all and actually get about 16mpg doing it but that is a very light trailer in comparison to a loaded toyhauler.

Now that i think about my other friends family regularly towed a 23' superlite with a V6 GMC Envoy without to much issue...about 45mph up the big hills.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #10

If it was me and I did tow lots of heavy trailers with a Ford Ranger 1/4 ton.
I would make sure their is weight in the rear of the truck and lots of pin weight.
Its more important then the overweight problem.
These trucks can easily carry as much as a 1/2 ton but no weight on the rear axle to start with.
The SUVs have heavier rear ends and possibly shorter distance overhang at the rear.
If not enough weight on the rear axles the trailer will drive the truck.
I toed 10k lbs trailer with 1/2 a cord of hard wood in the box with a 4 cylinder Ranger no problems but the same empty trailer drove the truck in the ditch when one wheel fell of the pavement.
So be careful how a lightweight truck gets loaded.
My neighbor tows all kinds of heavy family RV trailers with his Ranger but he has 55 years of experience driving heavy equipment.
It can be done but load the truck up and forget the truck weight as long as the axles can carry it. And they can as long as the tires can. They are well build trucks.
I got rid of my ranger when I had an emergency stop and the tires on the rear turned on the rims. At the time I only had 35 lbs of air in the tires. The rims could not take more. So I was told.
But it was what was practical to me until I discovered the 1/2 ton GM diesel. What a difference but much less power and speed with no turbo. It did not carry the pin load any better but 50 lbs in the tires.
The Dodge diesel 1500 will be a great tow unit, now if only the Dakota was still available it would be a perfect world.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #11

and invest in a very nice weight distribution hitch and use it properly.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Found the link. http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/ebrochure/
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Towing with the Toyota Tacoma Davis Enterprise
Beatcop49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #14

The only thing i would recommend he tow is a Scamp 19 foot 5th wheel. Or try to stay around 16ft for a travel trailer. Even, then most people eventually upgrade to a half ton.

There's really no reason to get a tacoma unless you just happen to like a smaller vehicle. The fuel mileage isn't any better than a half ton, and they aren't meant for towing large loads. If buying new, you can get a RAM 1500 for the same price, or even possibly a GM truck right now because they are discounting the crap out of them at the moment due to losing market share. If buying used, you can find many other half ton trucks for pretty much the same amount of money.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing