Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #15

On the RAM models the Mega cab is only available with a short bed. The crew cab is available in short and long in the 3/4 ton and only long bed on the 1 ton dually version. Parked side by side the MEGA cab has a shorter wheel base than the long bed Crew Cab but not that much.
I think the decision on a short bed or long bed would be made by what you are towing. Most all 96" wide trailers will work very well with a short bed truck. Those wider 102" models could be tricky.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #16

I posted a message in the fifth wheel forum with links to some youtubes about the Andersen Ultimate if you are interested. My TV has a 6.6ft bed and I have used the Andersen for about 12,000 towing miles. I like the product.

Andersen Ultimate Info Link

2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #17

Thank you all! It's a shame the Mega Cab doesn't come with a long bed. At this point it looks like our decision will depend more on the tranny and axle ratio. It appears either type bed will tow fine, depending on the hitch, pin, etc. This has all been very helpful.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #18

Abi2001

Do what I did. I researched all the possibilities for months on what fit my needs. I wanted a long bed to not worry about ever hitting my window or can while turning. But I also needed a crew cab for the family. But my garage I can only fit the short bed and I figured if I'm spending 60k plus on a truck that damn thing is getting garage kept lol. So I researched and researched and spent the extra money on the pin box. I have a 6.5 foot short bed f250 with a standard Reese 16k pro series 5th wheel. I bought the Reese 5th airborne with sidewinder pin box for my camper. Best purchase I ever made. Never even have to think about the turns. Research it and your see what I mean. Also it made the ride so much smoother lever rough roads or bridges because it has a shock and airbag internal in the pinbox. Problem solved and no worries. I love it
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #19

Our Silverado 2500 short bed (6'4") crew cab does just fine with our Cougar 5th wheel. The nose never gets close to the cab and I can turn Very sharp if I want. B&W Patriot hitch. Now if it was a different 5th wheel with the older style squared off nose caps, I might have a different view. Not sure, I just know this setup is working great for us. The stability is great.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2001 View Post
Thank you all! It's a shame the Mega Cab doesn't come with a long bed.
Boy, that would be an aircraft carrier! The Mega Cab is a short bed at 6'4", but it is a long wheelbase rig for sure.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:57 AM   #21

Go figure, the Maxicab has a shorter box due to the total lenght of the trucks causes the train capacity loosing one truck per rail car lenght capacity when shipped from Mexico.
Why don't they ship a shorter truck mixed in, would be to simple.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #22

"It's a shame the Mega Cab doesn't come with a long bed"

Dodge would have had to build a super long frame to do this. Ther eare several places that will do it for you. longbedmytruck dot com is one that came up with a quick search. I would hate to see what the bill for something like that would be.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #23

I've previously posted about only ever having short beds, one with an auto slider and one now with a manual slider, and never having a problem. BUT, an admission here. On my way here to Key West a few days ago, I got into a sharp turn at a fuel station and I didn't notice the pavement angled one way then the other as I was too focused on the turn angle trying to ensure I didn't have to slide. I was very close but knew I would be okay; NOT! As the TV went over the angled pavement one way the rear corner of the TV kissed the front corner of the RV ever so slightly, and the paint on each rubbed. I'm going to invest in an auto slider, or, if I get a new TV I'm thinking of a long bed.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #24

What is your clearance between the truck bed and the 5'er frame? If it's too small of a clearance, no slider or longer bed will fix this issue. You need 7 to 8 inches. Any more and it looks goofy and your likely pulling way out of level. When you have less you can find yourself in this situation.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
What is your clearance between the truck bed and the 5'er frame? If it's too small of a clearance, no slider or longer bed will fix this issue. You need 7 to 8 inches. Any more and it looks goofy and your likely pulling way out of level. When you have less you can find yourself in this situation.
I have 7" of clearance and I should have said "the top left corner of the cab hit the front corner of the FW," to be more specific. In the circumstance I described, the pavement angles is what done me in. I would not have touched had I used the slider.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

My first 5er rig was a shorty pickup. I had nightmares of pulling into a narrow, crooked, bumpy trail then driving a mile or so and hitting a dead end. No way to turn around, and I couldn't back into a 90 jackknife to drop the trailer then drive around to the other side of the trailer, hook up and go. So my only option was to back the trailer up that narrow, crooked, bumpy road. That's very difficult, especially at night. So I traded that shorty pickup in on a longbed. No more nightmares, and no need for a slider hitch.
Smokey, a long bed is actually a disadvantage for the nightmare other than not having to activate a manual sliding hitch. A short bed with the hitch in the maneuver position has an overall rig length equal to or less than a long bed setup and both can turn in excess of 90 degrees. However, with the short bed having the pivot point behind the truck axle, the trailer will react to steering changes faster and therefore has less clearance issues in a tight situation. So, a sliding hitch would have been both cheaper and more effective than buying a new truck.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Many of the new long bed trucks have higher steer cut angles so the problem has been greatly reduced.

We got the new steering in our 2005 450. It will turn almost as tight as our 1999 150.
Not true, while F450s and above can have 54 degree steering cuts (also an option on some F350s), the vast, vast majority of 1 ton and under pickups are still limited to 36-37 degree steering cuts regardless of bed length. Just look at the manufacturer's curb-to-curb numbers, if wheelbase is longer due to cab style or long bed, then the number will be bigger and therefore less maneuverable.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
However, with the short bed having the pivot point behind the truck axle, ...
Mounting the 5er hitch so the center of the kingpin is behind the rear axle is unacceptable. The furtherest back the center of the kingpin should be is centered over the rear axle. And 2" to 4" in front of the center of the rear axle is much, better for handling, especially handling during emergency conditions.

Way back when, 5er hitch installer instructions said the kingpin should be mounted 54" behind the back of the cab. That would allow the 102" wide luxury 5ers to jackknife without cab to trailer contact. But that required cab-to-axle (CA) of 57" or more. IOW, an 8' bed. Minimum was 48" behind the cab, which would allow a typical 96" wide 5er to jackknife. But pickups with shorty beds don't have 48" between the back of he cab and the center of the rear axle, so compromise was required for those city dudes that insisted on a shorty bed. Thus the slider hitch was born.

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing