Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Mounting the 5er hitch so the center of the kingpin is behind the rear axle is unacceptable. The furtherest back the center of the kingpin should be is centered over the rear axle. And 2" to 4" in front of the center of the rear axle is much, better for handling, especially handling during emergency conditions.

Way back when, 5er hitch installer instructions said the kingpin should be mounted 54" behind the back of the cab. That would allow the 102" wide luxury 5ers to jackknife without cab to trailer contact. But that required cab-to-axle (CA) of 57" or more. IOW, an 8' bed. Minimum was 48" behind the cab, which would allow a typical 96" wide 5er to jackknife. But pickups with shorty beds don't have 48" between the back of he cab and the center of the rear axle, so compromise was required for those city dudes that insisted on a shorty bed. Thus the slider hitch was born.
pretty sure he was talking about when the hitch slides back

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
pretty sure he was talking about when the hitch slides back
I hope so.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #31

"Mounting the 5er hitch so the center of the kingpin is behind the rear axle is unacceptable"

Yup. A couple years ago, I helped a buddy figure out his issue. He got a 2500 long bed Dodge CTD, and then a fairly large toy hauler. After the first pull he said it pulled terrible. Felt like it was bouncing everywhere real bad and just didn't feel like everyone said a 5'er should feel. My thoughts were he's not an experienced trailer puller anyway. When they had thier TT the wife did ALL the driving. Should have lost his man card.

I finally got to drive it and he was right. it was terrible. After some measuring, we figured out his pin was located 2 inches behind the axle center line. His rails were installed by the previous owner. We also found out that they were very poorly installed. Someone had just cobbled a mount in each corner with scrap metal.

I had him order the correct bracket kit to go under the bed and we reinstalled the rails correctly and it pulls fine now.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I had him order the correct bracket kit to go under the bed and we reinstalled the rails correctly and it pulls fine now.
Too bad about the extra holes in the floor of the bed. But large fender washers with bolts through those holes will hide those holes and probably won't be noticeable to most folks.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #33

He didn't care about that. We just left them. Gave him a place to sweep acorns away.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Mounting the 5er hitch so the center of the kingpin is behind the rear axle is unacceptable. The furtherest back the center of the kingpin should be is centered over the rear axle. And 2" to 4" in front of the center of the rear axle is much, better for handling, especially handling during emergency conditions.
I was referring to the pivot point being behind the truck's rear axle when a sliding hitch is in the maneuver position, not the normal towing position.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #35

Why are we so concerned about the turning angle of 5th wheels. The TT's are really limited to 60 degrees while the trailer axles are much further back.
With my past short bed Chevrolet 2500 and a 33 ft 5 th wheel with square front I could do a U turn in a 3 lane road any day.
The shorter wheel base on a truck makes the units much easier to maneuver.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #36

"referring to the pivot point being behind the truck's rear axle when a sliding hitch is in the maneuver position, not the normal towing position"

Right, but with the pin fixed several inches behind the axle, the towing results are the same as if your towing with the pin slid back, which both are a no no
Old 05-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
"referring to the pivot point being behind the truck's rear axle when a sliding hitch is in the maneuver position, not the normal towing position"

Right, but with the pin fixed several inches behind the axle, the towing results are the same as if your towing with the pin slid back, which both are a no no
If you are following my original reference, Smokey was talking about having to do a u turn on a dead end road. Nothing about TOWING!
Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #38

I'm just saying that my buddy has his pin permanently mounted a couple inches behind the axle by the previous truck owner and it towed terrible. Moving it on center of the axle fixed that.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Talking What I have

I have a 2015 F-250 with a short box or 6'9" box and use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch which gives you 9" more room and pull a Montana High Country 2016 and have no problem at all. I have tried to get it in a bind and not to say it couldn't happen but have never gotten even close. I no its a little late to chime in but might help other folks. I have found this is a great site ( the best) to get info without feeling like you shouldn't ask a stupid question. Kudos to the great members on irv2.

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing