Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Towing a 5th wheel with a short bed

I get that there's the slide hitch for short-bed trucks to tow 5th wheels. But do you recommend it, or would you forego the short bed/slide hitch combo and stick with the long bed?

We figured on purchasing a long-bed dually, but the longer bed/wheel base is intimidating. So we'd love opinions and feedback based on experience. We do still want a dually.

Also, does using the slide hitch in a short bed compromise safety or stability at all?

abi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We pulled a 31ft 5-r with a short bed Chevy 2500HD for 2 years. Didn't have a slider hitch. We just never got ourselves into a situation where we'd have a problem. Had the truck at a 90-degree angle to the nose once & it still cleared the rear window. The pin box stuck out a bit further than some though, so that might've made the difference.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Or you look to use a revolution pinbox. Also called sidewinder. Two companies, same idea.
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
We towed our 5'er with two different short beds and had no sliders or issues. Depends on the pin box and the driver.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Currently pull our fiver with a short bed and have never had a problem with this rig. Do have a Reese Goose Box and not a 5th wheel hitch which may be a factor.
If I was stressed about this I would go with a long bed truck. Bottom line is go with whatever makes you comfortable.
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
I've only ever towed with a short bed so can't compare WRT stability, but I've never felt unstable (unless you mean mentally).
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
Some folks will only recommend what they own.

Having owned and used both pulling my rv trailers and pulling heavy GN trailers to make a living I found one isn't any better or worse than the other.

I prefer crew cab trucks so the 6' 6" bed length fits my needs better. I have a '98 long bed 4x4 crew cab that simply too long for a garage so it sits in the tractor shed while the short bed quad cab Dodge/Cummins gets the heated garage.
One truck isn't more stable than the other pulling any of my trailers.
I've had one ton DRW long bed 4x4 or 2wd crew cab trucks in commercial service that were a handful when pulling or even empty.

Many new 5th wheel trailers today have notched rounded front corners that eliminates the need for a sliding hitch.

The short bed truck with a sliding hitch in no way shape or form compromises anyone safety on the road nor were any of mine ever more unstable than my long bed trucks.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
I know with Ford, ALL DRW are long beds. Not sure about the others. That might solve the problem. DRW = LB
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie & 3 Chihuahuas
Step 1 Have '13 F350 Super Cab LB Diesel 4X4 Lariat
Still researching which FW to get
grashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
I have a short bed chevy with a slider hitch but never have to use it....my camper clears without sliding it. Not all are like that but more and more are. I would actually like to have a long bed. I would like to have the extra bed room it would give me over the short bed truck for carrying stuff when I have the hitch in there.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
I tow with a 6.6ft bed GMC 2500HD using the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch mounted to a Reese Underbed Gooseball. Tows great, never a turn problem. Pinbox is mor/Ryde standard Lippert 1621 clone. Check out their youtubes if you are not familiar with the Andersen. BTW they posted a new short video last month that shows hitching with their new funnel attachmen.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
I really appreciate all of the feedback. This is very helpful. We love the Ram Mega Cab diesel dually with the AISIN transmission, but we were concerned about the short bed and started considering the long-bed crew cab instead. All of this info is very reassuring for us.
abi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #12
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pops pulls a 39' big some'bitch with a short bed 3500 Ram.. has a dent on the back of each C pillar to prove it..lol
2016 Viking 17FQ
2005 Chevy Trailblazer
2 Chihuahua's - yeah, were those people at the campground
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by grashley View Post
I know with Ford, ALL DRW are long beds.
True today, but for several years after 1999, Ford offered a shorty dually. Demand was low, so dealers didn't stock them. They were available for factory order if you really wanted one. I've seen a few over the years, but they are rare.

My first 5er rig was a shorty pickup. I had nightmares of pulling into a narrow, crooked, bumpy trail then driving a mile or so and hitting a dead end. No way to turn around, and I couldn't back into a 90 jackknife to drop the trailer then drive around to the other side of the trailer, hook up and go. So my only option was to back the trailer up that narrow, crooked, bumpy road. That's very difficult, especially at night. So I traded that shorty pickup in on a longbed. No more nightmares, and no need for a slider hitch.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
Many of the new long bed trucks have higher steer cut angles so the problem has been greatly reduced.

We got the new steering in our 2005 450. It will turn almost as tight as our 1999 150.

IMO long wheel base makes up any inconvenience by being more stable while on the highway.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, tow, towing