Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
For those mechanically inclined - how does this work? Is it a turbo?
The fuel injected V-6 3.5L EcoBoost engine in our F-150s is not just a turbo - it is a very sophisticated twin turbo. Little powerhouse.

When loafing along, it gets better MPG than a larger V8 engine with the same power. But when you pour the coal to her, she swigs the go juice just as fast - or faster - than the bigger V8s. Those twin turbos produce a lot more power, but it's not "free" power. It costs gasoline to make that power.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Everything from 1980s Porsche Turbos to the previous generation "35" series BMW 3.0L inline 6 cylinders (the 335, 535, etc.) to the Ford V6 Ecoboost engines have used 2 small instead of 1 big turbo. Among the advantages of the 2 small turbos is the lower rotating inertia of the turbos that allows them to spool faster for quicker (and cleaner) throttle response and the shorter distance from the cylinder head to the catalysts with a turbo for each cylinder bank which results in quicker light-offs of the catalysts.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #31

Doesn't matter how you get the horsepower, if the truck isn't made to haul it then all that HP is meaningless. I have 350hp and 800lbs of tq so I should be able to tow anything. Not.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The previous few posts are just discussing the Ecoboost V6 and how it makes its power, not the towing capabilities of the overall truck in which it's packaged.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #33

also remember that the two small turbos have fast spool up which helps with nice flat torque curve. This flat torque curve really shines when towing or working.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #34

We talk a lot about one neighbors rig similar to the OP. He drives like a maniac and seam to get by. I would not do it after towing with a 1/2 ton and seeing some stranded in the past with broken axles. I need a floating rear axle to tow a heavy 5th wheel.
These considered light trailers are a ploy to get owners to tow with lite trucks. The axles are overloaded and the frames flex to much for my liking.
A friend told me once the the Toyota salesmen tryed to to sell him a truck claiming it could out tow his 3500 diesel Ram duelly. He once loaded his horse trailer with over 10 horses.
Ford has had turbos before in mustangs and Thunderbirds. And they were specialy designed motors. They had power but they were junk. And the extra cost sure do not make me a believer.
No thanks I'll keep my considered bad 6.0l diesel, that only Ford has made a mess of it because they were to stubborn. And we have to fix properly on our own.
Ford is also not selling here in North America, the better build new Ranger that can match the F150 due to the available 2 diesels. Their reason is they would cut in the F150 sales. Now this company only thinks of themself and the customer suffers. I sure would not believe anything this and other companies say when shopping for a truck. Just look at the Ram claims to fame with their mpg. Its 50% higher then EPA standard on pure gasoline.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I too thought I was good until I went to the scales ....

yes, was fine on gcwr, not so fine on truck rawr, even less finer on the truck gvwr... which prompted me to change to a newer heavier duty truck while I could...

Not to jump on the weight police bandwagon, but there is a method to their madness and most are just trying to help before a VERY bad situation bites someone in the butt !
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #36

FWIW, we bought a so called '1/2 ton' 5th wheel. Door sticker shipping weights are as follows
Pin 1385
UVW 7185
GVW 11200
Yes it has 4100+ CCC

We tow with a 12 2500 Ram CTD. My scaled weights are pin, 2000lbs and the 5'er is around 8500lbs loaded. Add 450lbs for water and we're pushing 9,000lbs easily.

Only one 1/2 ton on the market can tow that and that's the F150 with the HD package. I wanted a crew cab and 8' bed and you can't get that in an HD F150. Theses guys towing light '1/2 ton' 5'ers are just kidding themselves as 99% of them are over one of their trucks ratings.

The numbers on those '1/2 ton' 5er's look doable but in the real world it just doesn't add up. The other thing is, and we were there with our 10 F150 and last TT, is that once you get maxed out, you limit yourself to things you can take. What fun is that? Always having to pick and choose because if you take everything you think you might need on a camping trip you'll be over RAWR, GVWR, etc.

It's just more relaxing and enjoyable to have a nice cushion. knowing your not maxing your truck and RV out.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #37
CD

IMHO power is the LAST thing that should be considered when towing. When you have a TV that has enough weight, suspension, rubber on the road (tires) then think about how much power you want. It is probably possible to put enough power in a riding lawn mower to tow a TT but I think everyone can imagine how that would work. It is sad that the manufactures are pushing power as the answer to our towing problems. If you haven't towed with a bigger TV I don't think most understand what a difference it makes with handling. I didn't.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing