Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing a BMW 745 on a dolly backwards

Any advice????? Just bought a used Demco Kar Kaddy dolly to tow my BMW 745 behind a 45' Sig. I have the 525 hp so power wont be an issue, but I have to back the car on the dolly and Im wondering if the front bumper will drag on driveways. I cant tow my X5 due to AWD so this is my only option. Has anybody got any advise on towing backwards? I plan on locking the steering wheel and strapping it to the brake pedal for extra safty. Taking a quick trip to Vegas as a trial before our trip to the Ozarks this June. Would appreciate any input anyone might have...Thanks
YachtSea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally it is not recommended to tow a rear wheel drive vehicle backwards. The front end geometry is set for proper stability (toe, camber and caster) are all designed and set for going forward. You may experience excessive tire wear towing backwards. Additionally, the vehicle can display some instability.

You will also need to lock the front wheels in a straight ahead position. Using the steering wheel lock could damage the steering wheel lock due to the added stresses.

Rather than take a chance on damaging an expensive vehicle, why not find an inexpensive front wheel drive vehicle that can be towed on a dolly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I towed my mustang once on a dolly by the back, only because it wouldn't fit forwards. It was SCARY! it would jerk side to side so hard that I thought it was going to pull my F250 Diesel off the road. I would strongly suggest against it. The easiest way to tow that vehicle is to drive it up, then disconnect the drive shaft and tow it that way. I was a wrecker operator in the Marine Corps, and disconnecting the shaft worked fine. When we left it in during combat situations, the trannys almost always blew, but I'm guessing you know that or you wouldn't be trying to tow it backwards.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

Spend some money and buy a color matching enclosed trailer. You will look like a rock star on the road and protect the Beemer at the same time. Plus, just think of all the other toys you will be able to protect after you purchase them.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

towing

Trade the X5 in for a CRV awd. At least it can be flat towed.
ps would not dream of towing my M3. It's meant to be driven.
Good luck
Old 03-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #6

Wrecker drivers pull cars backwards all the time. With that said, I pulled my 2005 Dodge Durango backwards for a little over 6k miles with no problems with swaying or with tire wear. Just be sure you secure the steering wheel.
Texas Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bohunk View Post
Wrecker drivers pull cars backwards all the time. With that said, I pulled my 2005 Dodge Durango backwards for a little over 6k miles with no problems with swaying or with tire wear. Just be sure you secure the steering wheel.
If this is your thoughts on towing, I don't understand what advice you are looking for?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bohunk View Post

And wrecker drivers usually only pull for a few miles....not hundreds or thousands of miles. How often have you seen the towed vehicle behind a wrecker tracking to one side or weaving back and forth?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #9

Dude. Do the trailer! A 745 deserves it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, thanks for all the replies. A lot of great feed back. AK49er & CampDaven...As soon as space/cash allows the enclosed trailer is a given, love to find one the same height as the coach....just looks awesome on the road. I originally wanted to get either a H2 or H3 to tow behind but while looking I found the X5 and well you've heard about the "wild hair"???? Well. Then thought maybe my Ford Explorer...but it doesnt match the coach and Im not painting or wrapping it, Then I bought Lucille Balls 1970 Fleetwood Brougham but if I tow it I'm over the 65' lenght limit. I need to sell some things to make room for either a Hummer or a trailer. I need to do some more research now after all the feed back on towing my 7...Thanks again...Happy traveling
YachtSea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Dude. Do the trailer! A 745 deserves it.
Second.

Also it may be possible to modify the drive shaft (Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect) so that the 745 can be towed 4 down.

if you got to tow, full trailer (if you have the tow rating consider an enclosed trailer.. Many advantages including .. It is a garage for the 745) or 4-down are the best.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #12

I would also be concerned about the front airdam dragging over bumps.

Why not just get a dual axle car railer (open)? Safe, easy and not real expensive. Then you can take the X5 if you prefer.
Can you trade the dolly?
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
These replies are great! But, except for Texas Bohunk seem to lack any actual experience.

Well, I have done it (just not a BMW). Towed an E150 backwards on a U-Haul (swing pan style) dolly for over 200 miles behind a Dodge 3500...no problems. And would not worry about going much farther.

The van's steering was tied down, preventing any steering movement. It did not swing at all.

Tow, caster and camber on the car are not going to be the same as level, because the rearend of the car is up on the dolly.

The only point I could not address is the space afforded to the BMW's front fascia...that could be a deal breaker for even trying it.

By far an enclose trailer or open car carrier would be best...if you can afford these. But for about the same money or less a cheap front wheel drive car can be acquired to load on the dolly.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #14

YaghtSea2, just don't do it. It is not worth the the anxiety about the potential, or actual, damage to the Beemer. Either put it on a trailer or disconnect the drive shaft. Remco makes driveshaft disconnects.
Last option is to trade it in one something that can be towed four down or on the dolly. Yea I know... It sucks but what are you going to do? Several of us have been there.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, towing