Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
PJN

Towing a Hitchhiker with a shortbed?

Because of some great advice on this forum, we are now narrowed down to looking at getting a Nuwa Hitchhiker 5th wheal. We currently have a Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel - shortbed truck. I am concerned that the Hitchhiker will not have the clearance for our truck. I know there are some hitches that have up to a 9" slide but still not sure that would do it. Does anyone have any experience with them?
PJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Do you even have the payload for a NUWA? Those are pretty heavy 5'ers. As far as the slider goes, the 5'er is the standard 96" wide, I don't see the problem.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
Because of some great advice on this forum, we are now narrowed down to looking at getting a Nuwa Hitchhiker 5th wheal. We currently have a Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel - shortbed truck. I am concerned that the Hitchhiker will not have the clearance for our truck. I know there are some hitches that have up to a 9" slide but still not sure that would do it. Does anyone have any experience with them?
You might want to make sure your truck is able to tow it legally. I know you have the power but that 5th wheel will wreck that truck if its to heavy. I work at a RV dealer with the hitch look into a PULL RITE SUPER 5th wheel hitch that is all we put in if you have Reputable dealer put it in you should never worry about hitting the truck and the nice thing about that hitch is you don't have to do anything but back up it moves on its on
irishmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

I have a 2500 Dodge/Cummins short bed. I use a 16K Reese manual slider which is seldom used.
You might want to look at the Reese Sidewinder. Eliminates those expensive auto sliding hitchs.
Pin Boxes - Reese.

Play the video and see how it works.

The only legal issue on weights will be staying within your trucks axle/tire load ratings or a registered weight if your state requires it.
I would stay under a 2500-2700 lb wet hitch weight.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
PJN

Thanks, I appreciate the replies......
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

Know what your truck weighs full of fuel ready to roll add weight of passenger . See what truck & axel weighs. Chances are you will be lucky too add 2200 to 2400 tongue weight before being overloaded.
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Because of some great advice on this forum, we are now narrowed down to looking at getting a Nuwa Hitchhiker 5th wheal. We currently have a Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel - shortbed truck.
You received pretty bad advice if someone advised you to tow a Hitchhiker with a Ram 2500. The GVWR is probably 10,000, and the pin weight of a 2006 wet and loaded Hitchhiker will be at least 2,880 pounds for a 32' LS model, around 3,300 for the regular 35' Hitchhiker and could be as high as 3,800 for the 38' Champagne edition.

So even with the smaller model Hitchhiker, you're looking at 2,880 pounds hitch weight, which leaves you only 7,120 pounds for the weight of the wet and loaded Ram without exceeding the GVWR of the pickup. Ain't gonna happen, so you're going to be overloaded.

Bad plan. Either look for a lighter trailer, or plan on trading for a dually real soon now.

If you insist on a shorty tow vehicle, I think Ram makes the 3500 SRW diesel with a 6.5' bed that will be adequate to tow the lightest of the Hitchhikers without exceeding the GVWR of the Ram.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, HitchHikers are not light weight units and your GVWR is probably north of 14000# or more and the pin weight is in excess of 2800#. You need to start by weighing your truck and run the numbers on GVWR, GAWR and GCWR. Most of the folks we know with HH units use dually diesel trucks for 34' and up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
PJN

Thanks again, we are definitely looking more closely at the weight involved. Don't want to burn up the truck.

Thanks you all for the good advice.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Before we got our motor home we had a 36 foot HH Champagne. Heavy trailer. I towed it with a 3500 Dodge dually. Would not have towed it with anything less. Which model of HH are you looking at and what length? That will help you in deciding whether or not you need to go up to a 3500 dually.

Jerry
Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks again, we are definitely looking more closely at the weight involved. Don't want to burn up the truck.

Thanks you all for the good advice.
You won't burn the truck up as your 2500 is the same Dmax/Allison and 11.5" AAM rear axle and front axle as the 3500 SRW truck. The SRW has more rear spring/wheel and tire capacity for carrying more hitch weight.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
The SRW has more rear spring/wheel and tire capacity for carrying more hitch weight.
Do you mean the DRW has more?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Do you mean the DRW has more?

Ken
No I didn't mention the DRW.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
GAWR is based on far more than the theoretical load capacity of the axle assembly itself. Lest there be any confusion, the manufacturer's rear axle GAWR as shown on the driver's door jamb is substantially higher with the DRW truck than the SRW truck - that's one of the primary advantages of the dually.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing