Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by SmokeyWren
That's a tow hauler with a GVWR of less than 10,000 pounds.
Too late to edit that typo now, but I hope everyone understood that was intended to be toy hauler, not tow hauler.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, you do see people pulling big trailer with SRW trucks and most do not have clue about GVWR and GAWR for a truck. Do not listen to the folks toting a 40' 5er with a f250 or a F350 SRW and they claim that it pulls like the trailer is not even back there.

There is a lot of difference in pulling with too small of a tow vehicle and one that is sized right for the trailer.

K-Star noted, if you do not want to drive a DRW, go look at smaller trailers that are within the tow ratings of the truck.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
As others have mentioned, it's all about the pin weight. 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks use the same engines - you may find, depending on manufacturer, that the 1 ton has less towing capacity than the 3/4 ton because of the weight of the truck. My 2500 is a short bed and maxes out on pin weight of right around 2500lbs. That was the governing factor is choosing my trailer. Depending on what you get, a triple axles may actually have less pin weight than a dual axle, so it really will depend on the particular trailer you are looking at.

I've heard that Chevy is coming out with a SRW 3500 with the new redesign. That would put the truck right between the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton. So that may be something to look into as well as what the other brands will offer. What I like about the Chevy is that the body of the 3/4 ton truck is no bigger than the 1/2 ton, so it makes it alot easier to live with. My trailer is 36' long and tows beautifully, even with the shorter wheelbase. I'd advise you to consider the air cushion pin box as I love mine.

When you select a trailer, they will be showing you what the pin weight should be dry. You also need to factor in some of your accessories - like if you are getting a washer/dryer, generator, propane, fuel cell, etc, and how those will add to your pin weight. Additionally, how your garage is set up - is the entire length behind the axles? and how much weight you are going to put back there. You may not know exactly what you'll have until you have it, so that is why so many advise getting a truck that is not maxed out.

But I definitely feel your pain. I was not going to get a 5'er if I had to deal with a dually truck.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
...you may find, depending on manufacturer, that the 1 ton has less towing capacity than the 3/4 ton because of the weight of the truck.
That would be true only if both the 3/4 ton and 1 ton have the same GCWR, which is seldom the case with late model trucks. In reality, most 3/4 tons pulling a 5th wheel will max out on GVWR or rear GAWR before they reach their GCWR. That's generally not the case with a dually due to its higher GVWR and rear GAWR. So, in the real world, the dually with the same GCWR can tow a larger 5th wheel than the SRW (3/4 or 1 ton) without exceeding GVWR or rear axle GAWR.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
Is there a reliable source that has all these ratings listed somewhere?

GM Online Order / Reference Guide

These are all the specs from Ford/GM and the RAM. Takes a while to learn how to get around in each one.

The GM has a weight calculator that figures each truck with all the options selected for a very close weight.

The F350 SRW Ford and the 3500 SRW GM and the new 3500 SRW '03 Ram all have payloads up to 4500 lbs depending the truck configuration. All three have tow ratings up to 15k to 17k.
However your looking at THs with 18000 GVWR with tri axles. No doubt the right 3500 SRW configuration will carry the pin weight from the tri axle trailer as they are quite low in pin weight compared to a tandam axle trailer.
Your biggest problem IMO is none of the one ton SRW trucks are rated at 18k lbs.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
when looking at GVWR, don't forget to add in the weight of the passengers, pets, hitch (unless that is one of the options the calculator added in already), full load of fuel and anything else you will throw into the bed when going on a trip. That is ALL part of the payload. not just the truck and the 5er pin weight.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
For those stuck on the idea of not having duals maybe an MTD with super singles on the rear would work. That will nicely handle any 5er made. Problem here is you will probably have a trurk that is a full 8' wide. My dually is about 90/92" wide. A SRW is about 7" narrower on each side. Liike I told my step daughter when she wanted to learn to drive the dually " if you hit something with the duals, you are too close with your 1/2T PU" . She quit worring about the hips.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote