Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I could use some advise from all of your veteran RV'ers. We are "really" thinking of pulling a single axle trailer behind our 30' Wildcat RV. The motorcycle is a Honda Goldwing, wgt is about 860 lbs, the trailer is 350lbs so we would be adding about 1200 lbs, which should pose no problem for our Dodge 2500 with Cummins Diesel. Trailer is 9,800, so we would have 11,000 total. We are ONLY thinking of towing this puppy from New Mexico across I-10 to Florida where we winter. It would be nice to have the bike down there to run around on. No way would we consider towing it on our treks up and down mountains, or questionable roadways. I-1-10 is relatively flat, and of course, Florida has NO obstacles to speak of. My question for all of you intelligent lifeforms is two fold: the first is do you think it is safe to tow this way, and the second, where can I find out which states frown on this method of towing. I appreciate all the feedback you can provide. Oh, we have checked with Wildcat, and the trailer will accommodate the receiver hitch, if it is properly welded on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I could use some advise from all of your veteran RV'ers. We are "really" thinking of pulling a single axle trailer behind our 30' Wildcat RV. The motorcycle is a Honda Goldwing, wgt is about 860 lbs, the trailer is 350lbs so we would be adding about 1200 lbs, which should pose no problem for our Dodge 2500 with Cummins Diesel. Trailer is 9,800, so we would have 11,000 total. We are ONLY thinking of towing this puppy from New Mexico across I-10 to Florida where we winter. It would be nice to have the bike down there to run around on. No way would we consider towing it on our treks up and down mountains, or questionable roadways. I-1-10 is relatively flat, and of course, Florida has NO obstacles to speak of. My question for all of you intelligent lifeforms is two fold: the first is do you think it is safe to tow this way, and the second, where can I find out which states frown on this method of towing. I appreciate all the feedback you can provide. Oh, we have checked with Wildcat, and the trailer will accommodate the receiver hitch, if it is properly welded on.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #3

You should not have any trouble at all towing double the way you proposed. I have been double towing for years pulling a two wheeled trailer with two ATVs or a JD garden tractor/lawn mower. I keep extra good tires on the second trailer plus I have a rear camera in the back of my fiver so I can keep watch on the second trailer plus I have a pressure pro system that will tell me if a tire gets low. I just tow in Kansas where it is legal. There are sites that will give you state by state info. I'm sure someone will give you a reference in another reply.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:21 AM   #4

I would suggest that you check with your insurance co. you may not be covered. Jim

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">where can I find out which states frown on this method of towing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click here for Trailer Life's Rules of the Road which lists the states that permit or prohibit such towing.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #6

I am very interested on your selection of truck (very nice) to pull your 5th weel as well as choise of 5th wheel vs motor home to be a full timer. We are planning to go full time in about 5 years and have been looking at the options. Would you mind sharing?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #7

I have towed my toys behind our 5th for years (hwy and mountains). I have had upto 2500 lbs behind 5th with no problems, atvs and bikes or jet skis.

Just make sure that the hitch is done right. Best advice I can give on the trailer that will haul your gold wing, make sure it is has large wheels (14-15") to keep wheel RPM down. I see many small trailers broke down on the side of the road with failed wheel bearings. Small wheels = high RPM = heat = bearing failure.

Also a wide enough trailer that you can at least see the wheels/fenders of that trailer in your mirrors.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #8

Also check to see what kind of special licensing you may need. For example, California allows towing doubles but you need a Commercial driver's license with doubles endorsement. Check with your states DMV.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote