Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #1

I need advice concerning towing a 12' tandum enclosed trailer behind a 27' Phoenix. Rigs will be pulled by a '04 F-250 with the 6.0 Diesel. My concerns are cross winds, tracking and the obvious - stopping. Also the tongue weight ratios for the second trailer. Will I need a 2nd independent controller?
Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #2

I need advice concerning towing a 12' tandum enclosed trailer behind a 27' Phoenix. Rigs will be pulled by a '04 F-250 with the 6.0 Diesel. My concerns are cross winds, tracking and the obvious - stopping. Also the tongue weight ratios for the second trailer. Will I need a 2nd independent controller?
Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will be over weight for truck. You also run into the proplem of the Phoenix chassis not being able to support the second trailer. Oh yeah stopping is going to be very interesting also.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 PM   #4

First of all.....Welcome to the site!
There are many folks here that can tell you about weight and brake issues.
Here in Utah we can tow "doubles" but it seems to be used mostly with 5th wheels and they are towing ATV's or a boat. There is a length limit that has to be followed.
I can't imagine towing that. This is the reason we sold our 32 foot 5th wheel and got a Lance camper. Now we can go camping and take the quads with us.
My personal opinion is that the F250 is "not enough truck" for that towing combo. It will do the job but it will increase the wear and tear factor on the drive train and trans.
It would be a good idea to check with your local DMV to find out the laws and the laws of the surounding states.
Chet
Old 06-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #5

I seriously doubt the Phoenix frame is strong enough to withstand the tongue weight of the second trailer. The braking issue is complex, you want the rear trailer to begin braking slightly before the first trailer, which should engage it's brakes slightly before the tow vehicle, to keep everything straightened out when stopping. All trailer brakes must be designed to stop it at it's GVW, so total braking energy should be satisfactory-in theory! Porpoising will be a real headache unless you modify all the TV suspension system, because the first trailer will magnify any up/down movement of the rear trailer, and transfer it to your TV. The bottom line is: obtain a large enough toy hauler and TV to tow it, to accommodate everything you want to take along. Indiana has a 65ft length restriction on double trailers and TV. You will find all state's regulations in a truckers road atlas, available at truck stops.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #6

Been there & done that, threw away the "T" shirt. Previous set-up was '02' 2500HD Chev CC 4X4 long box Duramax/Allison towing a 36' Cedar Creek Custom 5'er, towing a Continental Cargo 12' rear ramp door cargo trailer with Harley Ultra inside for a total bumper-to-bumper length of 71'. I used a Tekonsha Prodigy for the 5'er and a Tekonsha Voyager for the cargo. The "train" would go down the highway very well as long as there were no variable such as side winds which set up some really interesting dynamics with the single LT tires of the TV and their flexible sidewalls. In one word; "DON'T"!
If your intent is to drag your stuff to the cottage for the summer and leave it all there , fine, you may get away with it, but if you are seriously thinking of enjoying touring for many miles forget it. You are going to be passed by a lot of larger commercial trucks and the "bow wave" turbulence hitting each trailer in turn will have you white knuckled before you've gone 50 mi's. JMH experienced O.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #7

All I'm gonna say is I've done this lots. Both my trucks are ton duallys. I've been drivin OTR for bout 3 years, all day everyday. My truck is 25 foot long and 10k pounds, and. . .I don't do it any more! I know many with Medium Duty trucks that won't do it either. But these guys are pros, maybe they don't know any better. Be Safe.

Cheers,
OTRPU
Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #8

If you upgrade to a 1 ton truck I would say you can do it safely. Ya, your current truck 'can' do it, but you will be over doing it.

I tow tandem most of the time. Jet skis behind the boat to lake powell, atvs or jet skis behing the 5th. Have also towed toys behing our last TT, works but can be a white knuckle experiance, behind a 5th is a peice of cake if set up right. This is key, make sure you get the hitch behind the 5th done right! and all will work good with a little common sence.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #9

I tow doubles behind my '04 F 350 all the time. I have a 27' 5th wheel and I tow either a 19' boat or 16' flatbed trailer with dirtbikes behind it. I use the same brake controller for both, this has worked well for me. I recommend a sway control device for the 2nd trailer. Cross winds don't bother me as much as uneven road surfaces.
Dragboat Dad is offline   Reply With Quote