Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Question Towing a TT with a Tahoe

I am planning a trip from Houston to Louisville, KY and then over to Ft. Bragg, NC in the next few weeks.I have a 28 foot Ultralite Keystone travel trailer that weighs about 4900 lbs. dry.
It has a GVWR of 6550. The tongue weight is 525 lbs..
My question is, in your opinion, will a 2016 Chevy Tahoe be able to sufficiently pull this trailer through the mountainous terrain between KY & NC?
The Tahoe has a 5.3L engine with the 3:42 rear end. It has the Chevy stock towing package (tranny cooler, electric brakes, etc.).I will be using a friction anti-sway control bar.
I have pulled this trailer with my Chevy 1500 p/u many times with no problems.
The Chevy 1500 also has the 5.3L engine with the 3:42 rear end and stock towing package and I use the anti-sway bar.
However, most of where I pull this trailer in this part of Texas is relatively flat.
I have not really tried it hilly or mountainous terrain.
Your suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Biggest problem with the Tahoe, or any similar type SUV is the short wheel base. The tail will try to wag the dog.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

Wheel base has nothing to do with sway. Sway is from not having enough tongue weight. ( it can seemingly be dramatized with a shorter wheel base) Load appropriately. The Tahoe overall is probably a heavier vehicle so the same engine and gearing will have a little more to carry. how much, I dunno. I think you'll be fine. Don't take stuff you don't need. Go grocery shopping there. Drive sensible.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What is the weight of the Tahoe in travel trim? You know, you, your family, your pets, a cooler of food and drink, full tank of gas, and everything else on or in the tow vehcile alone? You need to know what that is.

Once you know what that is, you can find the GVWR for the Tahoe, and subtract the weight you already have. That is your max tongue weight. You can also take the GCWR figure, and go weigh the tow vehicle and the trailer to find out what your GCVW is.

Isn't this fun?
Old 05-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Wheel base has nothing to do with sway. Sway is from not having enough tongue weight. ( it can seemingly be dramatized with a shorter wheel base) Load appropriately. The Tahoe overall is probably a heavier vehicle so the same engine and gearing will have a little more to carry. how much, I dunno. I think you'll be fine. Don't take stuff you don't need. Go grocery shopping there. Drive sensible.
I beg to differ with you. I've towed my 26' enclosed trailer with my 3/4 ton crew cab truck with no problems. I had 15% of the total weight on the tongue w/ LL hitch. Yesterday I had to tow the trailer three miles with my shorter wheel base Avalanche. Again with 15% on the tongue with same LL hitch. At 40 mph, I was just barely in control in a cross wind. I was grateful when the three miles was over. Never had that problem with the longer WB truck.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

Wheel base does factor into the sway equation. I can sink money into a Smart For Two to strengthen it to tow but that short wheel base will like driving a squirrel.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

It was probably more likely the lighter tow vehicle. I've had short wheel based vehicles with a sway problem. Redistributed the weight and the sway was gone. no change was made to the tow vehicle.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

I'm afraid we got way off topic. My parents have both a Tahoe and a Chevy 1500. They are essentially the same vehicle, other than the body style. My concern for your trip would be the Tahoe seems heavier with it's added body structure and seating. Plus, making a long trip you'll tend to load more stuff. So be aware of the added weight of the vehicle and the added stuff that you normally would not take. One thing you might try before you go, is to load up some stuff, obviously your not going to load everything, and take it down the road a bit with the Tahoe. See how it feels. Also look at the door labels to see what each vehicle vehicle weighs and it's max overall load capacity.

Tags
tow, towing