Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

We have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia with a towing capacity of 6200#. Our TT is 24' and 6200# GVWR, 3000# unladen weight. We have a brake control box, weight distribution bars and a sway bar on the TT hitch. We really want to purchase a golf cart to take with us camping. We have a 8' utility trailer with a GVWR of 1500#. Any ideas or concerns with loading a golf cart to our trailer and pulling it behind our TT? Don't want to buy the cart to find out we put it before the horse.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

We have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia with a towing capacity of 6200#. Our TT is 24' and 6200# GVWR, 3000# unladen weight. We have a brake control box, weight distribution bars and a sway bar on the TT hitch. We really want to purchase a golf cart to take with us camping. We have a 8' utility trailer with a GVWR of 1500#. Any ideas or concerns with loading a golf cart to our trailer and pulling it behind our TT? Don't want to buy the cart to find out we put it before the horse.
Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Welcome to iRV2, it's great to have you here as a new member. I don't think Virginia is one of the states that allows the towing of two trailers. Click here for a list published by Trailer Life.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #4

That would be a really bad idea. It would probably become extreamly unstable, esspecially behind a smaller truck like yours. I'm also pretty sure that you can only double trailer with 5th wheels.

The utility trailer would try to drive the travel trailer. Heck I can even feel the back of my trailer moving around when somebody tailgates me too close. The wind disturbance is enough to make the trailer move around, I wouldn't want to see what another 1,500lbs would do back there.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe that there one or two states that allow towing of a trailer behind a travel trailer. Some allow the towing of an additional trailer behind a 5th wheel hitch.

Whether you can tow in a state or not, depends on the state you are traveling through. It may be legal in your home state, but the other states do not recognize your home state towing. They will accept your license classification.

Your best bet may be to consider a Toy Hauler to load your cart.

Ken
Old 09-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #6

Thanks for all of your input. I thought I'd probably get those responses but thought I'd give it a shot.

Anyone know of any light toy haulers with nice floor plans and a slide that would fit into our weight limits for the Toyota Sequoia?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Only you can decide if a toy hauler is the right choice for you. They are typically made for hauling sand rails, dirt bikes, and ATVs into the desert or other wild area. Once the toys are unloaded they can be converted into a nice place to stay. So take a look at what Fleetwood and Thor have to offer and see if they meet your needs. I did come across a new idea in SURVs (the new catagory for "toy haulers") from Outback called the Loft. Check it out http://www.keystone-outback.com/loft.html
Old 09-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

I sometimes pull a Suzuki Grand Vitara behind a 34' travel trailer. The Suzuki has it's own braking system and I use a Hensley hitch. It tows extremely well and because of the TT overhang, the Suzuki tracks nicely during turns.

BTW, I would never attempt this setup without the Hensley and a good braking system for the unit behind the TT.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Towing something on four wheels is different than towing another trailer behind the unit because there is no added tounge weight with a unit being towed on 4 wheels. It will however add the same to your CGW.