Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I really need some help. This issue about towing my motorcycle behind our 30' Wildcat 5th wheel is driving me bonkers. First, has anyone done this, and how did it handle?
Then the big question, after alot of research, the towing law tables ONLY address issues related to Triple towing which I will not be doing. I need information on the legality of double (tandem) towing and the various state laws pertaining to it.
We have someone who will weld the hitch to the frame, and have designed a lightweight trailer to be used, however, before investing all of this money, I would like to hear from those of you who have done this. Thanks in advance, as my patience is wearing thin, and I am about to scrap this whole concept.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I really need some help. This issue about towing my motorcycle behind our 30' Wildcat 5th wheel is driving me bonkers. First, has anyone done this, and how did it handle?
Then the big question, after alot of research, the towing law tables ONLY address issues related to Triple towing which I will not be doing. I need information on the legality of double (tandem) towing and the various state laws pertaining to it.
We have someone who will weld the hitch to the frame, and have designed a lightweight trailer to be used, however, before investing all of this money, I would like to hear from those of you who have done this. Thanks in advance, as my patience is wearing thin, and I am about to scrap this whole concept.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I suggest you go HERE, open the Excel spreadsheet that gives state-by-state towing laws and look under column R titled "Two Trailers".

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the response, but this is the type of confusion that is out there. This list is out dated due to the fact that New Mexico and Alabama do allow double towing based on legislation passed within the last 2 years.
I guess the only way to know, is to write each state and ask their position. That way I will have it in writing from the "horses mouth". Thanks for your help though, it is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, any listings I've found have some age on them. As you say, the only sure way is to go to the source, but even then your information is only as good as the individual who provides it, and I've found some Texas DPS personnel who aren't up to speed on RV-related laws.

I know your plight - I have a 2007 BMW K1200GT that I would like to take along with the RV but haven't found a solution yet.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #6

Buckeyes

We tow double. We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind our Teton. As far as the laws are concerned I can't help you. Seems like every one you talk to have a different answer. Even officials at the same office have different opinions. What seems to be true is that if the police think your rig looks unsafe you may be stopped. We have towed double through States that are not supposed to allow it and we have never been stopped. We have even been passed by numerous State Troopers and only gotten nice waves from them.
(Noticing that you are from New Mexico), we were stopped once just north of Carlsbad on Hwy 285 where New Mexico troopers had a roadblock set up to check for alcohol. After looking at my license and registration and determining that I did not appear to have consumed any alcohol, we were sent on our way.
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks alot guys, you have helped quite abit. My conclusion will be that we will double tow the bike behind the 5er and hope for the best. As a former Officer, my thoughts are that if I am not driving recklessly, staying in the right lane, and have all of the safety equipment on the second trailer, then no one would probably say anything even if it isn't legal in "their" state. The states that worried me were Alabama and Florida, but leaving New Mexico headed to Florida, I will just be careful, try to stay on Interstates, and maintain a smooth flow of travel. I am pulling the Wildcat,(9,800lbs) and the second
open m/c trailer (1500lbs loaded) for a total of about 11,500lbs. This is still under the rated tow limit of 13,400 for the truck. Overall my GCWR will be about 17,500 with the
limits of 20,000 for the Dodge. We have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with Air Bags, and Cummins Diesel.
We added a Trailair Pin to the trailer, so it seems to me that all should be good, as there are no more bases to be covered. Common Sense will go along way, so we will use lots of that.
I would still like to hear from anyone and all who have towed double, as the more I hear the better it sounds to do it. Have a great day, and Thanks again. Fellow RV'ers are nice people, and you prove it everyday.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #8

Make sure you have a long tongue on the trailer. It will add a considerable amount to the stability. Also, make sure you have 10% to 15% of the trailer weight on the hitch. If you still have a fishtail problem, consider the Hensley or Pullrite type of hitch.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #9

Buckeyes, did you ever wonder why you never see an OEM receiver on the back of a 5th wheel? You speak of weights; have you considered your proposed overall combined length.

Another source you might want to check out is your insurance company-not the local agent; but, the folks who actually put the print on the paper.

As to your driving careful and using common sense that is all well and good; but, it sure does not address the issue of the other guys on the road who may not be so careful nor even have any common sense.

One safety issue that would certainly bug me is that with your proposed set-up you will have zip visibility of the second trailer and of course backing up will be nigh to impossible.

Nothing personal; but, if we meet on the highways I will give you wide berth. good luck however you elect to proceed, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Old 05-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Roberts:
Buckeyes, did you ever wonder why you never see an OEM receiver on the back of a 5th wheel? ...Ken, '04 DSDP... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2003-4 HitchHiker 32.5 has a OEM hitch installed by the manufacturer.

2002 F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4,
cdrcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Buckeyes, did you ever wonder why you never see an OEM receiver on the back of a 5th wheel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ken, Peterson Industries, Excel 5th wheels, installs receivers at the factory. In fact, they offer a MC lift for the rear of the 5th wheel rated at 1,000 lbs. capacity.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:50 AM   #12

Teton offers a factory installed receiver hitch capable of towing a full size car or pickup. I would recommend a rear view camera installed on the rear of your fifth wheel to monitor the second trailer. I can see my entire Jeep plus both lanes of traffic on either side of the Jeep.
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #13

I tow double with a Jazz 5th wheel and a 17 foot boat. Have done it for years. I take temp. readings on all tires and bearings every stop. You can see the boat on turns and the sun shower. Know where you are going so you don't have to back up. Good luck

2007 Jazz 5th wheel
royce is offline   Reply With Quote