Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #15
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's just me and the dog, plus a couple of hobbies, so a smaller trailer was a no-brainer for me, especially since I wanted to make sure I could easily get into national parks. I went with the 3/4 ton truck so that I would have too much truck for my towing needs, and it is a fine daily driver for me.

You mentioned not getting the larger capacity truck so that you were forced to get the smaller trailer, and I applaud you for your intentions, but if you can keep enough discipline to get the smaller trailer and pull it with a larger capacity truck, you will increase your safety margins and have a little room for a larger trailer if you decide that is what you want in the future. It might be the best of both worlds.

No one has laughed at me while pulling my twenty one foot long Outdoors RV travel trailer that I know of. At least not after I pass them climbing a long hill, or easily glide down a long hill with the exhaust brake doing all of the speed control work.

Just some stuff for you to consider either now or in the future. Good luck finding a great camper for you and your family.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #16
This 2013 F150 PDF for CONVENTIONAL AND 5th-WHEEL TOWING towing guide

The pdf has the F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.55 axle ratio with a maximum max. trailer weight of 7,700 lbs

5.0L - GCWR -12,900, 13,300, 13,500, & 14,900 (max.) lbs.

The GVWR isn't your actual towing capacity, it's used to estimate a vehicles towing capacity along with other ratings.

I was told the GVWR set by the manufacture can only be changed by the manufacture.

To actually change a vehicles GVWR from a door sticker, you would need to obtain a new weight certificate from the manufacture.

I came across a SUV where the GVWR (set by the manufacture) is significantly less than the auto manufactures a standard and optional tow capacity ratings. The SUV has a max. 2000 lb. standard TCR and an optional TCR of 5000 lbs max., with an automatic transmission. Using the vehicle door jam sticker GVWR the SUV's tow capacity would be much less than the towing capacity set by the manufacture, not matter the tow vehicles payload and trailers TW.

Essentially the GVWR is based on a fully loaded vehicle, minus any towing. A fully loaded vehicle may include both a payload and TW.

There are tow capacity calculators that use a vehicles GVWR along with other input to "estimate" towing capacity.

I'm have always been well under the manufactures tow capacity rating and haven't needed to think and worry much about a vehicles payload and towing capacity.

Towing add-ons and re-gearing axles may help facilitate towing but won't actually change any ratings set by a manufacture, unless the manufacture provides new ratings with door sticker for a particular vehicle.

user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #17
towing over weight

Normally I stay out of these areas but too many people are trying to kill
themselves and me.

So here goes hope you listen. Way over 15,000,000 miles otr and this is a fact diesel
yes gas no.
Sure you can pull a TT with a VW bug (seen it) but oh lord the problems!
AS was said here over load is WAY BAD and easy to do.
So before committing social and actual stupid talk to people eyeball to eyeball who currently doing what you want to do.
From long years of towing I know that the makers of various tow rigs lie out their donkey.
And adding stuff to make up for a bad T.V. is putting a band aid on a sucking chest wound!

OLD Knut
OLD Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:16 AM   #18
Your " empty " F150 vs it loaded with passengers and equipment cannot tow the same size trailer. Every pound of weight you add after the driver and fuel decreases your tow weight pound for pound.

There is no free pass on all of the people, equipment, firewood, grill etc that end up being loaded onto a tow vehicle. That weight COUNTS.

Retired Police / DOT Enforcement Officer. 1986-2011.
Class A CDL
PA CDL Third Party Driver Examiner
Mcsap9213 is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing, upgrade