Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately engineers design but accountants control the construction. While manufacturers do not deliberately (?) make things unsafe there are too many instances where they are called in front of congressional hearings to explain deficiences. While I feel I have a good vehicle there are no guarantees that all of them will meet or beat the standards.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you for this discussion. I am getting closer to truck shopping, and this is stuff I need to know.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #31

If you think all the above advice is useful and needed, you are right--just wait til you ask what truck to buy....
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
--just wait til you ask what truck to buy....
Joe
Nah, I'm smarter than to ask something like that. I'll only ask what oil to use.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Doesnt matter what truck you purchase. Your choice. We all agree that most folks have their favorites and will defend them to the "death". Just a matter of justifying the one they are currently driving.

All manufacturers build a good product depending upon the market they are aiming at. You have your highway cruisers that are super comfortable and your off road work trucks and those that are in between. No one vehicle can do everything no matter what the marketers say.

IMO it is most important to get a truck large enough to handily tow (with some extra capacity) the trailer you will purchase. After all you are carrying some very precious cargo when you are out with the family.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The "towing capacity rating" as you call it, is definitely overstated for most people. The manufacturers use the GCWR, but then subtract an unreasonably low truck weight to come up with the tow rating.
And what adds to the confusion are the rv manufactures apparently understating both the total weight and hitch/tongue weight of their units.
Many people discover there new RV is significantly heavier than advertised even before loading any personal supplies and material.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Try seeing what the J2807 SAE. Towing Standard is for the truck your looking at. I believe Toyota adapted the new standard a few years ago, not sure if GM & Ford are on board yet. Here is a article on the subject. New Towing Standard

Here is Youtube video on Part 1 "magic towing dust" Part 2 Part 2
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
And what adds to the confusion are the rv manufactures apparently understating both the total weight and hitch/tongue weight of their units.
Many people discover there new RV is significantly heavier than advertised even before loading any personal supplies and material.
When we purchased our 5er the actual weight we received was higher that the advertised weight. Upon looking at the unit the weight was for the basic unit.

We added a generator, and the bedroom slide was an option, dual pane windows, an extra water tank, built in vacuum. While that increased the curb weight the GVWR remained the same.

IMO it is foolish for anyone to look at the published weights for the basic unit and start planning for a TV that is suitable. Using the GVWR would be more practical.

I do not know anyone who will ever use their unit at the base weight. About the only time they will tow at the minimum weight is when they tow it home the first time. Many will say they are not going to add much - they are fooling themselves.

The DW has added lots of pots and pans, lots of correlle dishes, appliances, our cleaning products rival the cleaning section in the store, extra blankets, clothes, plus a couple motorcycles, full fuel tank, tools. It did not take long to get to the GVW.

Fortunately the dealer I purchased the truck from was knowledgeable. I thought he was overselling me until I got the unit on the scales. The truck I wanted would be sadly overloaded.

Tags
tow, towing