Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Towing Capacity Feedback

I'm still struggling with the basics on towing capacity for my 2004 Ford F150 Crewcab truck. This truck has a frame mounted trailer hitch with that square hole for a receiver. The specifications on the bumper of the truck says the maximum gross towing weight is 9900 pounds and the maximum tongue weight is 990 pounds with a weight distribution hitch. Is that frame mounted trailer hitch a weight distribution hitch? Or is a weight distribution hitch something that is fitted to the existing trailer hitch?

Thank you in advance for guidance on this important part of my TT education.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A weight distribution hitch (WDH) slides into the receiver hitch on your truck. The rest of the WDH is attached to the tongue of the trailer. Here is a link so you can see a WDH and how it is connected to the tongue of the trailer Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

What the WDH does is to shift some of the weight off the rear end of the truck back onto the front end so the truck and the trailer each set level, when properly adjusted for ball height for the trailer.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Well that explains it. So it seems to me that I ought to plan on a weight distribution hitch. Thank you for your guidance.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
you are welcome.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Good answer above.

However, it seems to me that you are relying more upon the "towing capacity". Please be aware that typically, the towing capacity of just about any pickup (1/2 - 1ton) is just a "selling" point and not really applicable to towing travel trailers or 5th wheels.

Your main concern will be the "payload" capacity, RAWR, and its GVWR. You will max out the payload capacity long before you will even come close to its towing capacity.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The capacity listed on the hitch is not the capacity of the truck. The same hitch may be fitted to many vehicles that have different capacities. You must look at the vehicle loading information sticker which is located on the drivers door sill for cargo capacity and axle loading. That will vary depending on the options your truck came with.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Please be aware that typically, the towing capacity of just about any pickup (1/2 - 1ton) is just a "selling" point and not really applicable to towing travel trailers or 5th wheels.
You are right about most 5ers, but the idea that no half ton is capable of towing a travel trailer is just wrong.
I would say that the vast majority of travel trailers on the road are safely towed by half tons.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, it is very important you know if the Ford came equipped with a factory "tow package". It might include larger alternator, tranny cooler, different gears in the rear axle, maybe an extra leaf-spring in the rear, different shocks.

That hitch on there now, is it a Ford item?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Yes, it is very important you know if the Ford came equipped with a factory "tow package". It might include larger alternator, tranny cooler, different gears in the rear axle, maybe an extra leaf-spring in the rear, different shocks.

That hitch on there now, is it a Ford item?
My Ford has the tow package and a Ford installed frame mounted hitch.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My past tow vehicle (2005 SUV) had a sticker by the hitch that the stated the tongue limit was 720 lbs without a WD hitch and 1100 lbs with a WD hitch. So your Ford has a 990 tongue with the WD hitch. Without a WD ??? maybe 600? It's going to be safe to say you will want a WD system. Not a whole lot of tt's loaded under 600lbs hitch weight.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #11

I have the tow package on my 2004 F150 SC, 5.4, 3.73. Standard receiver (class III ) that came with it is 6000lb. and 500lbs. tongue weight. Think you need a class IV, 9000lbs. and 1000lbs. tongue weight and WDH to be good.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
You are right about most 5ers, but the idea that no half ton is capable of towing a travel trailer is just wrong.
I would say that the vast majority of travel trailers on the road are safely towed by half tons.
The subject matter was "towing capacity"...not towing capability.

So, I'm sorry, but can you point out to me in my post where I said that "no half ton is capable of towing a travel trailer"????

What I said was: Please be aware that typically, the towing capacity of just about any pickup (1/2 - 1ton) is just a "selling" point and not really applicable to towing travel trailers or 5th wheels.

I was talking about the "towing capacity rating" that is assigned to trucks by the mfg that is "not applicable". You really need to read my reply over again and not try to put words in my mouth.

I had a 1/2 ton pickup and pulled my 25', 5500 lb travel trailer for many, many thousands of miles.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #13

So it can tow a boat or other trailer of that size/weight, but not a travel trailer??
I have no idea how to interpret what you are saying. Not a knock on you... I just am not understanding why it would not "apply".

For the most part, the ratings seem to be rather conservative because the manufacturers would have to build in a significant margin of error to protect themselves from safety issues and associated lawsuits. People wrecking their trucks and trailers doesn't exactly sell trucks.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
So it can tow a boat or other trailer of that size/weight, but not a travel trailer??
I have no idea how to interpret what you are saying. Not a knock on you... I just am not understanding why it would not "apply".

For the most part, the ratings seem to be rather conservative because the manufacturers would have to build in a significant margin of error to protect themselves from safety issues and associated lawsuits. People wrecking their trucks and trailers doesn't exactly sell trucks.
I read his post as saying the towing ratings of the vehicles are many times a marketing point. If you read all of the literature they will also say the TV has to be specifically optioned and you are not to exceed the GAWR, GCWR and GVWR.

I would not count on the percieved "margin of error" that everyone assumes is built into vehicles. I can recall one manufacturer who sent out a platform for several models of car that met the braking specifications while in the showroom. Drive through a rain storm and it no longer met specs.

All you have to do is recall the number of times the big three have been called in front of congressional hearings to explain why they are derelict in the due diligence. The number of recalls is horrendous.

To my recollection there has only been one Engineer who posts on this forum using his credentials and experience as talking points. That is Roger Marble who states the tire inflation specs are low. He has advised that he grosses up his tires by 20% to determine the inflation pressure.

Tags
tow, towing