Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #15

Matusky, let us know how things work out after the accident.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #16

Why if you have a tow vehicle would you want to tow another?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
If you "accidentally" run a red light (illegal act) resulting in a crash, are you covered by your insurance?
Pardon-
I should have said "deliberate, planned, and executed" illegal act.

If I chose to simply disregard red lights as inconvenient to my getting from point "A" to point"B" and ran through them all as a matter of course, my insurance would certainly be void.

Hope this clears it up...

Francesca
Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
re insurance illegal applies to felonies..ie robbing a bank and using car/truck for get away veh..not misdemeanors..deliberate acts are usually excluded so don't run your neighbor over on purpose..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #19

It's called triple towing. It is legal in only a few States. Even if it is legal in the State your are licensed, it does not make it legal in any State you travel through. Aside from the fact that the braking, lighting and legal issues are going to be complicated your tow vehicle is going to have to be some mighty vehicle! Get in an accident? I promise that you will be found to have been at fault even when the other guy ran a red light and hit you broadside!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
It's called triple towing. It is legal in only a few States. Even if it is legal in the State your are licensed, it does not make it legal in any State you travel through. Aside from the fact that the braking, lighting and legal issues are going to be complicated your tow vehicle is going to have to be some mighty vehicle! Get in an accident? I promise that you will be found to have been at fault even when the other guy ran a red light and hit you broadside!
Bill that is towing doubles, not triples. Towing two trailers/units is doubles. One does not count the tow vehicle as being towed. For some reason unknown to most of us, some camping forums say triples when towing two trailers. Look at your state DOT's definition of towing doubles. Mine, Indiana, states towing double is legal if the second trailer is a boat trailer, and the first trailer is a 5th wheel trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #21

If I decided to do this, which I seriously doubt, the dolly would have brakes, either electric or surge.

Thanks for all the posts. I knew I would get some good information here to consider.

We are going south (first time snowbirds) for 4 months. A subcompact would come in handy and much less costly to operate.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Bill that is towing doubles, not triples. Towing two trailers/units is doubles. One does not count the tow vehicle as being towed. For some reason unknown to most of us, some camping forums say triples when towing two trailers. Look at your state DOT's definition of towing doubles. Mine, Indiana, states towing double is legal if the second trailer is a boat trailer, and the first trailer is a 5th wheel trailer.
As if we're not confused enough!
"Triple tow" most commonly means three distinct, linked units, one of which is doing the towing.
For a good example of that usage/meaning see the State-by- State rules listed at http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm.

There's no mention there of "double-towing"...Indiana's on the list as a "triple-tow-yes" State.

Francesca
Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #23

As a former commercial unit supervisor with the CHP, in "DOT" lingo, double towing means two vehicles being towed and does not include the towing vehicle.

It does not take a DOT officer to look up the maximum length allowed and to then read a tape measure.

If you are towing an illegal combination of vehicles and somebody runs a red light you will NOT be found at fault for the accident but still might be cited for being an illegal combination, driving out of class, too long, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #24

Thank you for the definition OldChief. I have two cousins who are Indiana state policemen and both say as you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
As a former commercial unit supervisor with the CHP, in "DOT" lingo, double towing means two vehicles being towed and does not include the towing vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Thank you for the definition OldChief. I have two cousins who are Indiana state policemen and both say as you.
Well, I guess that settles that!

Let's follow it through to its logical conclusion, though-just to make sure we've got the whole thing straight!
So when the page at http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm uses the term "triple tow", it means anything towing THREE whatevers.

Right so far?

And since "double towing" isn't mentioned/restricted at all, it's legal in all fifty States!

I think we've got it now...

Francesca
Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #26

As old chief says tripple towing out here in the real world is pulling three trailers. Regulations for doing so may read truck-truck tractor/semi trailer/trailer/trailer = three trailers or tripples.

A two vehicle combination is a single trailer.

The towing world clicky is for a three vehicle combination = two trailers combined with a truck or a double tow combination.

Double tow regulation may read same as the tripple tow with the third trailer missing.

Snow birds are migrating now in big numbers. I'm on I-44 in NE OK and see lots of toads of all sizes behind trailers of all sizes pulled by trucks of all sizes.

I double towed for eight years with a 9200 lb 5er and a 3500 lb boat. Insurance company says the only requirement is the truck and trailer are to be legally insured and both vehicles legally registered.

If your not confidant in your ability to double tow then I wouldn't recommend doing it.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing