Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #1

What are your thoughts about the idea of pulling an 18' tandem car hauler loaded w/shortbox pickup behind a 24' 5th wheel? This would be very occasional short haul trips. I know I need to add up weights etc., but what is the "general" consensus. TV is F250 Powerstroke 6 spd.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #2

What are your thoughts about the idea of pulling an 18' tandem car hauler loaded w/shortbox pickup behind a 24' 5th wheel? This would be very occasional short haul trips. I know I need to add up weights etc., but what is the "general" consensus. TV is F250 Powerstroke 6 spd.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #3

I towed double with my Ford Powerstoke that I used to have when towing cargo trailers out of Indiana factory. The setup we used a 34' flatbed gooseneck and usually loaded two trailers on it, then towed a 12-14 foot cargo trailer behind the GN.

What you are talking about is LOT of weight being towed behind your fiver. IF your frame on your 5th wheel could handle it which I doubt very much, then you are asking for the "tail wagging the dog" because of the weight whipping the 5th wheel around.

On the setup we used, the GN trailer frame was very heavy and could handle the effects of the trailer hitched to it by the special hitch that we welded onto the back of the trailer. Also, we also only pulled the lighter trailers double. But we could pull them across the Indiana and Ohio turnpikes at the speed limits plus with no problems.

Another thing is to remember that you also have to stop all that weight. On our triple axle GN, we had brakes on all six wheels, but the small trailer in the back they usually didn't have electric brakes, although we had the wiring run back for any trailer that we towed double that did come equipped with brakes. We never had any problems stopping, even when we had to lock them up when a car pulled out in front of us going when we traveling at 45 mph.

With all that being said, "Did I like towing doubles?"

NO WAY. My friend still does it and has over 300k under his belt, He still doesn't like doing it.

The advice from both of us is "Don't try to tow the weight you are talking about, a fiver and a car hauling loaded with a pickup."

I cannot print what my friend said when I talked to him about what you asked.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Here's a similar thread.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, I kinda thought I was pushing the envelope on this idea. How about at least pulling a little Bronco II (no trailer, just Bronco).
Old 09-04-2005, 12:44 AM   #6

chevyrod,
I dont think that I would recomend pulling that setup either. It is still alot of weight to be pulling with a 3/4 ton truck. Not to mention wiring the Bronko for lights and the possible need for it to also be set up for braking. Just out of curiosity, why the need for a second vehicle?

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #7

baddwalk:
In the first instance, the pickup is a show truck that towed or driven to special events - within 300 miles. It would be convenient in some circumstances to have the 5th wheel. The Bronco II deal is a hunting/kayaking package - I would really like to be able to make this work.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #8

Check out http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

Dave