Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2005, 03:48 AM   #15

The guy had a CDL license with double tow endorsement so he knew the laws. Now if I could just get Baddwalk to go over into Arizona and stop my inlaws before they kill themselves I would appreciate it. They are towing double, a 30 foot bumper pull with slide and an 8 foot flatbed with golf cart (no brakes) behind an Avalanche from Texas to Tucson, AZ. At least they will be going down trough El Paso around the mountains. I am really worried...not so much because I love my inlaws, but because they are the grandparents of my kids. Yes, I did offer to pull one of the trailers. Showed them the towing laws, tried to talk them out of it, etc. All to no avail.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2005, 08:07 AM   #16
jka

My appologies to all for coming on so strong.

My job also takes me to the scenes of motor vehicle accidents and many other life and death situations. Any of us who deal with these types of incidents know first hand the consequences of unsafe practices on the road at home or wherever it may be. Peoples safety is always first IMO and infractions should always be dealt with.

When I read this thread there was no offense taken but I felt a strong message deserved a strong response. If the "whole" story was posted my reply probably would have been different.

Again lets all have a safe and Happy New Year.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:25 PM   #17

if he was a true professional law officer he would not have to brag ...jim d...
Old 01-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james1:
if he was a true professional law officer he would not have to brag ...jim d... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you not understand "the lesson" in this post? Baddwalk may have put too much "personality" in the post, but the lesson to be learned is to make sure, as a responsible driver, to know the law, know the limits of your rig, and stay within both... for your own safety and those on the road with you.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #19
CD

Paul
I agree with you. Some people seem to feel they should be able to do what ever they want.
baddwalk
I know you don't make the laws but try to enforce them. One that Ca. has that I think is asinine is the 2 speed limits on a 2 lane road (such as 111 south of Indio W/cars 65 & trucks 55). Can you explain their rationale? On 111 I've had big trucks & Rvs blow by like I was parked when I was doing 65. Also what speed limit applies to MHs? Some MHs are nothing more than a van W/living quarters and there are the class A the size & weight of a big truck and have air brakes. Some drive them like a sports car. If I remember right Ca. has signs that say vehicles towing trailers must use 55 limit.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CD:
One that Ca. has that I think is asinine is the 2 speed limits on a 2 lane road (such as 111 south of Indio W/cars 65 & trucks 55). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like Texas. I once hear a clown at a rodeo say in a joke:

"Boy, it's good to be in Texas...Where you can run up and down the road at 70 miles per hour, unless you're in a truck and you have to drive 65, unless your in a school bus and you have to drive 60, unless you towing a mobile home and you have to drive 55...Because everyone driving the same speed just wouldn't make sense."
Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #21

Hi CD,
I have to agree with you that some of our laws don't make very much sense. The reasoning for some of them even I don't understand. As far as the two speed limits goes, I think the reasoning behind it has to do with weights and stopping distances. A car driving at 60 mph can panic stop in less than 160 feet. A big rig at the same speed needs at least 360 feet. Beyond that, who knows?

A motorhome is allowed to travel at the posted speed limit, same as passenger cars. If it is pulling its toad, then the 55 mph speed law takes effect.

Some of these laws are as wacky as the legislators who crafted them. I guess at the time, the automakers union was stronger than the Teamsters.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #22

baddwalk,
I am thinking of towing my atv trailer behind my fiver and have been told many differant story's on the laws. Do you need a full class A or a non commercial class A. Yesterday I was told non commercial with a doubles endorsement, but the book says a regular class A is the only way to pull two trailers. I have also heard that even if I get the correct license I will still be pulled over all the time just becase it is an odd set up. Is that true? Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:47 PM   #23

5gocamping,
I do not know how much the laws vary from state to state so I can only reference California law. In Ca. you will need a commercial class A license with doubles endorsement to tow a combination like this. You also need to remember that you can be no longer that 65 feet in total length from bumper to bumper. California vehicle code mentions an exemption that alows certain vehicles to go to 75 feet in length. Ignore this as it will not apply to you.

I dont think that you will get pulled over all the time unless you are doing something to attract attention to yourself, ie. speeding or driving in the wrong lanes. If you look overly long then you could be stopped for that, but probably only then by a commercial enforcement unit. I think that you will be fine as long as you make sure that you are properly licensed and your rig is good on length. Also, if the rear trailer has electric brakes then it also has to be equipped with a breakaway safety switch and cable.

If you do decide to pull doubles, practice with the combinations before getting on the highway. Backing up changes and allow more room for turning. The rear trailer cheats corners even more. Drive safe and allow a little more stopping distance. Enjoy and have fun. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:17 AM   #24

Baddwalk - Thank you for all of the info. Im in the market right now for a rig to tow doubles. A 5er and a ski boat. Im in the middle of a CDL A test, to know all I need to do. We dry camp at lake Mead. Where do you mesure the 5er from to be under the 28'6"? We are looking at a 28' Titanium.
Thanks - P.S. I dont want to be one of thoes guys!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #25

gwnkids,
Depending on the fiver, the measurements will be the furthest extending point on the front of the trailer to the rear bumper. on some fivers it is the lead edge of the pinbox or the front cap. On the Titanium it will be the front cap to rear bumper. Keep in mind that if you are looking at 28'6" for the trailers so you can go to 75 feet, that exception will not apply to you. That exception only applies to commercial truck tractors. I dont know if you plan on buying a Kenworth or Peterbuilt etc, but I think the exception only applies to commercial big rigs engaged in interstate commerce. You will be restricted to 65 feet in total length. hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #26

Baddwalk,
Thanks you just kept me from making a very expensive mistake. My truck mesures 17' from bumper to hitch pin - the boat is 23' from toung to bumper - according to what your saying Im stuck with a 25' camper! This will not work for my wife so I gess I need to find another driver to haul just the boat. I was hopeing that the 75' applied to me as long as I had the CDL.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #27

gwnkids,
Glad I could be of some help to you. I learned, the hard way of course, that the best lesson learned is one that does not cost you a ton of money. As for the second driver, my wifes solution is for you to buy your copilot a Suburban. LOL

Old 02-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #28

I pull doubles here in Minnesota quite often. The law says here the first trailer CANNOT be over 28' (private or commercial), and the second trailer must be a 'legal' trailer (lights, mud flaps, brakes if needed) and the total lenght is 60'. However, here you do not need doubles endorsement. Does that mean other states have reciprocity? I don't plan on going to other states with doubles, just curious.
Tom

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote