Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I vote for a Peterbilt.
I like Gordons way of thinking..........35k - 40k

Here is my choice for you to buy........
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I will volunteer to drive it for you.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #17

Unless you are commercial why would you need a commercial license? Yes some states you need a Class A or B for being over 26k. You need that for a ldt if over 26k
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #18

Depending on your resident state on whether you need a full CDL, an exempt CDL (Texas) or no CDL (South Dakota).

You are pushing the limits for an RV which is 65' in most states.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Depending on your resident state on whether you need a full CDL, an exempt CDL (Texas) or no CDL (South Dakota).

You are pushing the limits for an RV which is 65' in most states.
Most states your standard license is only good for 26,001 commercial or not.

The length only matters to the state it's registered in. If, theoretically speaking NC allows 65ft combo then I ca t get a ticket for it in Arkansas...same with bumper heights, tires outside fenders, handlebar heights etc.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #20

As far as towing such a beast a f-650 may do it definantely f-750, Freightliner m series etc. You don't need a Peterbuilt or class 8 truck (actually Peterbuilt makes a medium duty truck) a medium duty truck will do ya fine. The ratings posted for say Ford F-750 spec GVWR...Not GCVWR. And a 750 is rated for 37k# on the chassis...one must call for for the actual towing capacity.

But in the same breath a single axel Freightliner FL120 modified for rv use can be had for 20K all day long. A buddy of mine just picked one up with 350k on the odo and a 50 series Detroit for $9ķ
Old 12-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Most states your standard license is only good for 26,001 commercial or not.

The length only matters to the state it's registered in. If, theoretically speaking NC allows 65ft combo then I ca t get a ticket for it in Arkansas...same with bumper heights, tires outside fenders, handlebar heights etc.
Sorry but length is a function of the State that own the highway, not the registration state.

In South Dakota, any vehicle not in the use of commercial activity is covered by a Class C license, and that is good in the 50 states plus DC.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Sorry but length is a function of the State that own the highway, not the registration state.

In South Dakota, any vehicle not in the use of commercial activity is covered by a Class C license, and that is good in the 50 states plus DC.
Your right...obviously on the weight deal...I don't know what I was exactly thinking.

The length thing I just looked up. Kinda stupid if you ask me. One stae is 80ft combined and the next is 50ft. In NC the max trailer length is 35ft....you know how many 40ft work and plays there are in my area. One would think if it's a real problem when the dmv registers a 41ft work and play a red flag would pop up???
Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #23

State laws lag reality quite a bit. RVIA has to lobby each state to get laws changed and in most states, RVs are an important enough voter base to be concerned about having up to date codes.

Now how often do the State Patrols stop and check lengths as aa general policy, seldom. It matters what happens if you do get stopped and checked.

Transiting thru a state would mean you would stay on the National Network (Interstates and US Highways) and virtually every state has agreed to 65' for RV combinations even if the state code is shorter.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Length varies from state to state and also from equipment to equipment. For example, in Texas, max length for a pickup-trailer or truck-trailer combination is 65'. However, for a TRACTOR - trailer, the max length for a single trailer is 59', or 29' for multiple trailers. By definition, a tractor has to have a 5th wheel hitch and cannot be a bumper pull, like a Class 8 motorhome. There is no length limit on the tractor itself, therefore there is no max length on a tractor-trailer combination. There are many Toterhomes that qualify as tractors pulling 59' trailers, that easily surpass 80'. Many of these are "Recreational Vehicles". You will find them at just about any motorsports event.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this the monster maker?
Custom Built Fifth Wheels | North American RV
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #26

A 52' RV will need a over length permit in many states . Do your homework on vehicle combination length and single vehicle lengths in the state or provinces you will travel through.
My state has a 40' max length for a RV trailer and a 65' combined length....but I doubt its enforced unless the combo is handling bad enough to draw a LEO attention.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #27

I searched that company.

In their specs for their trailers they don't list weights. However, they list the 54' as only having three 6000lb axles.

If i was looking at one I'd really need to question them about weights and axle ratings.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
I searched that company.

In their specs for their trailers they don't list weights. However, they list the 54' as only having three 6000lb axles.

If i was looking at one I'd really need to question them about weights and axle ratings.
I was just about to mention that. That means a pin weight of over around 18k lbs when loaded. Yeah, no pickup there. Wonder why they didn't spread the wieghyt around more and space the axles out. Also, should have gone with 9k axles.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing