Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Yes, Scarab0088, That is the link. Thanks for posting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 06:38 AM   #44

When we spoke with them about the modifications we would like, that is when i was told the weight of 'give or take 30k'. I assumed that that is unloaded, however, could be loaded. And we have thought long and hard about not choosing a custom fifth wheel, however, I can't see myself having to buy a stock for $70k-100+k, then having to tear stuff out and put things in that I need. That' why I prefer custom built. I love suggestions though, so if you all have any for a reputable custom dealer that isn't going to cost a fortune, I would love that! Thank you for pointing out the axle rating, I will be sure to call on Monday, to see if they can install heavier duty axles... maybe like 10,000lb ones like a previous poster mentioned.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #45

The other custom builders 'Space Craft', 'New Horizons' or 'Forks RV' will build 30,000lb. rigs. Especially if you want granite counter tops, tile floor etc.

Now that is the way to RV!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Three 6k axles would be 18k max combined GAWR. With 20% pin weight, that would be a trailer GVWR of about 21,600 pounds. 6k axles could have relatively inexpensive and easily available LT235/85R16E tires.

Also available on the market are 7k single axles, which require tires rated for at least 3,500 pounds each. Those are less common and more expensive tires, usually 17.5" tires on 17.5" wheels, but some of the super-heavy luxury 5ers have those. Here's one: notice the tire load index is 124, which is 3525 max pounds per tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=1&RunFlat=All

Heavier trailers than that requir dual wheel axles. Most common is 10k axles for a total of 30k combined GAWR, or about 36,000 GVWR.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Especially if you want granite counter tops, tile floor etc.

Now that is the way to RV!!!
I respectfully submit my opinion, and this is worth less than anyone could ever pay for it, that the above statement is not the way I would ever want to RV.

More weight needs more fuel to get moving, to climb hills, and increases wear and tear. Harder to stop, more expensive to repair, mo money mo problems.

There is a little more to this stuff than just looking really damned good when you're finally parked.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinger View Post
When we spoke with them about the modifications we would like, that is when i was told the weight of 'give or take 30k'. I assumed that that is unloaded, however, could be loaded. And we have thought long and hard about not choosing a custom fifth wheel, however, I can't see myself having to buy a stock for $70k-100+k, then having to tear stuff out and put things in that I need. That' why I prefer custom built. I love suggestions though, so if you all have any for a reputable custom dealer that isn't going to cost a fortune, I would love that! Thank you for pointing out the axle rating, I will be sure to call on Monday, to see if they can install heavier duty axles... maybe like 10,000lb ones like a previous poster mentioned.
What specifically are you looking for layout wise? The problem with budget custom work is that the engineering might not be there. If you want slides to be in specific areas and rooms to be configured a certain way, you need to pay for the engineering to ensure those changes do not compromise structural regitity. Also, you need to ensure the quality is there. Customing the interior is nice but I'd take quality and safety over that.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Three 6k axles would be 18k max combined GAWR. With 20% pin weight, that would be a trailer GVWR of about 21,600 pounds.
So a "properly equipped" late-model F-350 DRW or F-450 pickup with diesel engine would work just fine. That requires 3.73 or 4.30 axle ratio, and the F-350 DRW also requires the high capacity towing package.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
What specifically are you looking for layout wise? The problem with budget custom work is that the engineering might not be there. If you want slides to be in specific areas and rooms to be configured a certain way, you need to pay for the engineering to ensure those changes do not compromise structural regitity. Also, you need to ensure the quality is there. Customing the interior is nice but I'd take quality and safety over that.
Quality and safety definitely is first. Honestly, I could care less about granite countertops or Italian leather sofas, as long as I have a sturdy well constructed rig. We work on the road. Traveling cross country every six months to a year, and are looking for something with a clean divide between the kitchen in living room, and two bedrooms. The second bedroom doesn't have to necessarily be a bedroom, it could be a toy hauler garage. We wound need it empty for work. The layout (I wish I could send a pic) was front living, kitchen, master, bath, and office/ workspace. We are talking about shortening it up a bit, and removing a slide to make it lighter, and I am planning to call on Monday to get some better info on the axles. The closest thing that I have found that is stock, is a voltage 3970 (even though it doesn't have a front living) And we may end up just doing that. I'm a little Leary of this custom place bc no one has really said anything good or bad about them.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #51

Have a friend with a custom Spacecraft. He had a bicycle shop built into the end of his.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #52

Grand Designs has a new front living space 5th wheel. Its a Momentum 376TH. We have a 2015 385TH that we bought new a few months ago but I haven't had it long enough to give any true reliability feedback. I can tell you so far we are very happy with it but we were also very happy with our previous Fuzion. Any RV manufacturer can be hit or miss as far as reliability.

http://www.granddesignrv.com/momentum376-floor.php
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #53

The Insulation factors are weak reading thier web site specs that 70 k trl is going to end up costing you alot more. I would go with the advice of others and get a DRV or lux . What type of repair network do they have ? Nobody gets somthing for nothing . Find other people that have that trl or have the manufactuar give you names of customers to get thier expeirences.
Do your research befor spending the money on somthing that turn into a nitemare.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 AM   #54

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that there are actually recreational trailers that weigh this much. WOW!
Old 12-14-2015, 01:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinger View Post
Quality and safety definitely is first. Honestly, I could care less about granite countertops or Italian leather sofas, as long as I have a sturdy well constructed rig. We work on the road. Traveling cross country every six months to a year, and are looking for something with a clean divide between the kitchen in living room, and two bedrooms. The second bedroom doesn't have to necessarily be a bedroom, it could be a toy hauler garage. We wound need it empty for work. The layout (I wish I could send a pic) was front living, kitchen, master, bath, and office/ workspace. We are talking about shortening it up a bit, and removing a slide to make it lighter, and I am planning to call on Monday to get some better info on the axles. The closest thing that I have found that is stock, is a voltage 3970 (even though it doesn't have a front living) And we may end up just doing that. I'm a little Leary of this custom place bc no one has really said anything good or bad about them.

It's not that we don't want you to have a super large rig, we just don't want you making a coslty mistake simply because you have a very highly trained sales rep who knows how to choose the deal by giving you that "special" feeling of being taken well care of. If the rep tells you "we can easily upgrade your trailer to 10k axles" that's a big warning sign to stay away from them as it means they would gladly sell you a rig with underrated axles if you didn't say anything! Their specs speek for themselves. To give you a comparison, we own a 8500lb travel trailer and it came with dual 6000lb axles. Your trailer is 3-4 times heavier.

This is how I would ask the sales person: "I just wanted to make sure that my trailer does indeed have 3 6000lb axles and not 2?".... This will call him out if he thinks 3 6000lb axles is enough (which it clearly isn't)

I can see where the problem exists. It's very hard to find a two bedroom Front living Fiver with a bunkhouse and a 1/2 bathroom.

I think it would be a good choice to either ask for customer references or visit their manufacturing plant if you still consider the custom brand you are looking at.

Remember, custom and cheap dont mix well. What you are looking at spending will not get you high end (quality) and custom together.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:32 AM   #56

Checkout the Heartland Cyclone CY4000
Or the Keystone Raptor 425TS

Tags
tow, towing