Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Towing for 35k-40k

Although we have be RV'ing for over a decade now, I have never had a need for anything larger than a 3500. What types of trucks do you all recommend for hauling a 35k 5th wheel? I honestly don't know where to begin! TIA!

Jenna
JRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #2

Google "medium duty truck". Many use converted Volvos for this weight class.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #3

What 5th wheel weighs 35,000# ?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

There is a website with a lot of information on MDT and HDT trucks at Heavy Hauler RV Resource Guide.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinger View Post
Although we have be RV'ing for over a decade now, I have never had a need for anything larger than a 3500. What types of trucks do you all recommend for hauling a 35k 5th wheel? I honestly don't know where to begin! TIA!

Jenna
35,000 5er would require a large MDT or HDT IMO.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
35,000 5er would require a large MDT or HDT IMO.
And no one ever complained that I've heard because they bought too much truck!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

Thanks so much! And I feel certain that DH would agree that there is never too much truck!

And its for a 52'. They said it will weigh roughly 30k unloaded.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

First, none of the factory pickups have enough oomph to tow a 35k trailer. Even the class 5 trucks aren't enough.

For example, Ford F-550 chassis cab with the special order only high capacity trailer towing package and with aftermarket tow body has only a 26,000 pounds tow rating. So you're looking at a minimum of a class 6 chassis cab truck with aftermarket tow body (or flatbed with a 5er hitch).

So as a minimum look at Class 6 chassis cab trucks from Freightliner, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Mack. Study the specs and order one with enough oomph to not only pull 40k but to also haul up to 10k hitch weight at the same time.

Mountain Master is a custom truck builder that will build you a tow vehicle that can tow your trailer without being overloaded. Not cheap, but safe and reliable. Here is link to their Freightliner custom trucks: (They also can build a Ford F-650 to your specs.)
Mountain Master Exterior

Sport Chassis converts FreightLiner medium-duty trucks by adding a pickup bed, tow body or flatbed with 5er hitch to a chassis cab truck.

Here is a link to SportChassis RHA 350 on a Freightliner M2-106 chassis:
SportChassis.

I don't see the towing specs on that website, so go to the Freightliner website and get the towing specs for the M2-106 chassis.

Here is a link to SportChassis RHA 450 on a Freightliner M2-112 chassis. Plenty of tow vehicle for your needs, but note you will need a CDL with air brakes endorsement to drive this tow vehicle:
SportChassis

And finally there are lots of folks that insist on a retired OTR class 8 truck (HDT or heavy duty truck/tractor) to economically tow that much trailer. That retired but overhauled HDT with less than a million miles on the clock will cost a lot less than a new Mountain Master or Sport Chassis medium-duty truck (MDT). And with a proper overhaul/rebuild, it should last you another half-million miles towing only 40k, which is only half it's designed towing capacity..
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #9

Thanks! I will definitely look into those!
Old 12-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #10

First, you need a CDL. A 2016 F450 (like mine) will get you a 31,200lb towing capacity and combined 40,400lbs...but that's not enough for your trailer.

I've heard the 2017 F450 will be between 36-38k towing capacity.

If you can find a 5ver for around 30k lbs (which is crazy huge) I would suggest that. No need driving a MDT around all the time if you don't need to.

Who makes the trailer you are buying? Any pictures or links? I'd love to see the beast.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #11

Its made by North American RV. I have another post on this forum about the manufacturer. I'm a little hesitant, as I have never heard of them, but maybe some of ya'll could help me out.

And I do have a floorplan pic, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to load it, without a URL. It's just on my computer. LOL
Old 12-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #12

I agree that at least a class 6 medium duty chassis, and better a full class 8. The class 8 can be a single rear axle, you won't exceed the load capacity. However two rear axles is a lot more common. You won't necessarily need a CDL, but you should get your state license that is good for over 26K weight; whatever class license that is for your state.

while you may find a F550 or Dodge Ram 5500 that has the rated capacity, why be right at the limit? The safety factor of a real truck chassis will ensure no reliability or performance problems.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #13

Thank you! DH has his CDL, but I may look into that weight rated state license for myself. I very rarely drive, but would like to be legal if I HAD to drive. And I agree about the F-550. Some of the ratings for those are not that much higher, or even some lower than our Ram 3500. You all are so helpful! I love this forum
Old 12-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I vote for a Peterbilt.

Tags
tow, towing