Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 45
Towing Grand Design Solitude with FordF350

Anyone towing a Grand design Solitude with. Fordf350 super duty Swr
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Jpdkmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Looks like most of them are 16K GVWR so that means a minimum 3,200# 20% pin weight and easily 4,000# at 25%

So lets look at a RAM 3500 SRW with the highest rating since I don't have a Ford Chart.

3500 SRW with the Cummins and Aisin trans.

GVWR 12,300

Payload 4,330

GAWR rear 7,000

Base WT rear 3,001

Max trailer WT rating 16,860

So it looks like the RAM can "CARRY" 4,000# on the rear axle.

Looks like it's at the top of the RAM's weight ratings. Personally it would be a Dually for me.

The RAM's ratings are SAE J2708 compliant.

Ford has different numbers but hope this gives you an idea what to look for.

__________________

__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,328
F-350 SRW
GVWR 11,500
GCWR 23,500

Grand Design Solitude 360RL has dry pin weight of 16.25% of dry trailer weight. So probably around 18% when wet and loaded on the road. If loaded to only 15k, then pin weight at 18% would be around 2,700 pounds. 9,000 truck plus 2,700 pin weight = 11,700 GVW. Overloaded.
__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
caissiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,312
All Fords are grocery getters with a frame to carry much more then rated. To bad we have to believe those numbers.
__________________
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Depends on your trucks configuration. My 2012 SRW 350 is 8550 ready to tow. Full tank, hitch and family in. So, it wouldn't be overloaded with that RV. If you have a crew cab or long bed or both you will be heavier than me and perhaps right at your max but still fine. Only way to know for sure is weigh your truck and the trailer.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Depends on your trucks configuration. My 2012 SRW 350 is 8550 ready to tow. Full tank, hitch and family in. So, it wouldn't be overloaded with that RV. If you have a crew cab or long bed or both you will be heavier than me and perhaps right at your max but still fine. Only way to know for sure is weigh your truck and the trailer.
So fully loaded you still have 3,200# of capacity on your rear axle left as in tires?
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
So fully loaded you still have 3,200# of capacity on your rear axle left as in tires?
Ready to tow I have 3450# of rear axle left for pin and 3950# of tire capacity left. My rear axle is rated at 7k and weighs 3550# ready to tow. My rear tire capacity is 3750# per tire so 7500# for the pair.

So not 3200# in capacity. More like 3450/3950.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Ready to tow I have 3450# of rear axle left for pin and 3950# of tire capacity left. My rear axle is rated at 7k and weighs 3550# ready to tow. My rear tire capacity is 3750# per tire so 7500# for the pair.

So not 3200# in capacity. More like 3450/3950.
Nice, the heavier rated tires sure are nice!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Yes, the 20" option gives you 110# more per tire than the 18" which is rated at 3640# each. The 18's are still rated higher than the rear axle though. I ordered my truck with 18's as I didn't like either of the 20" options on the Lariat. I tend to lean more to the brushed look as opposed to the chrome look. However, I wanted to upgrade my tires from the just OK Michelin LTX AT 2's as they weren't great with my plow on. So, since I was going to grab some new rubber, I also found a set of new/take off Ford Platinum rims on eBay for 1k delivered. I couldn't resist. Swapped over my TPMS sensors and mounted up some GY AT Adventure w/Kevlar. Sold the 18" tire/rim combo on craigslist for 1k so it was like the Platinum rims were free. Just had to buy the tires... That hurt at $350 each but they are awesome in all conditions.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
justafordguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
To bad we have to believe those numbers.
We don't have to.
__________________
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL/Helen, GA
Posts: 968
There are a number of owners towing Solitudes with single rear wheel trucks.

There was someone the other day on the Grand Design Owners website that posted his truck scale weights with single rear wheels towing a Solitude. The kingpin and trailer weights after all the owners' stuff was loaded in the trailer were very high. He needed dual rear wheels badly.
__________________
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Yes, the 20" option gives you 110# more per tire than the 18" which is rated at 3640# each. The 18's are still rated higher than the rear axle though. I ordered my truck with 18's as I didn't like either of the 20" options on the Lariat. I tend to lean more to the brushed look as opposed to the chrome look. However, I wanted to upgrade my tires from the just OK Michelin LTX AT 2's as they weren't great with my plow on. So, since I was going to grab some new rubber, I also found a set of new/take off Ford Platinum rims on eBay for 1k delivered. I couldn't resist. Swapped over my TPMS sensors and mounted up some GY AT Adventure w/Kevlar. Sold the 18" tire/rim combo on craigslist for 1k so it was like the Platinum rims were free. Just had to buy the tires... That hurt at $350 each but they are awesome in all conditions.
I am running 18s on my f350 and recently purchased cooper tires with a 4,080lb rating.

Just to clarify ford RAWR on the single rear wheel super duties has nothing to do with the limitations of the axle itself. It is used in other applications with a much higher weight rating, I think something like 9k lbs.
__________________
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Absolutely correct on the axle rating 84.
__________________

__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
towing, ford, tow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem and solution for 7 way towing light socket tucson pappy Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 07-09-2015 01:01 AM
Need to remove Reese Straight-Line (Dual Cam) Hitch when Towing Light bobinyelm Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 4 06-06-2015 10:17 PM
Towing a Ford F250 Super Duty Scottybdivin Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 37 12-27-2013 07:54 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.