RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

Towing H3 uphill

Hello,

I am sorta new to towing and tt been more than a year now. Lots to learn but enduring.

Anyhow, are there any other H3 drivers having a hard time towing uphill?

I have a 2,600 tt and having to floor my gas pedal to climb uphill grades.

I would appreciate any responses

Hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

I don't have an H3, so I'm unqualified. But there are 4 basic things to consider ... if you already have them figgered out, consider me to be simply remedial and ignore me. But if getting the 4 (actually the "experts in this forum will correct me and add two more things to consider) the 4 items together gives you a better assessment, i'll take my fee in random expressions of faith and love for the next three strangers you meet camping somewhere. OK? Here we go ....

1. Towing capacity ... if you don't know it for your H3 (or any tow vehicle you ever consider) go to any site (here's one) Trailer Towing Guides | www.trailerlife.com and look up your vehicle. You'll need model year/engine/transmission (eg Hummer H3 2010Alpha/5.3L V8/a (as in automatic)) Compare towing capacity to the "dry" weight of your t2600 tt.

2. How much stuff do you take along ... minimalist or lotsastuff. You and your co-riders and your stuff and the propane and the water and the food in the fridge and the bikes hanging off the back are all part of what the H3 is being asked to move up the hill.

3. H3 Maintenance? Good, regular oil changes or ... maybe not? Transmission fluids? Other vital fluids? Ok. What I tell my doctor is that it ain't the years, it's the miles.

4 Terrain ... your profile includes "so cal" so i'm guessing you head into the sierras or the chocolates or some tomfool mountains I've never seen. And that you have to pull long grades to get where your going.

So, figger these out 1-4 ... tow capacity, weight (include stuff), miles on the vehicle, and terrain. Maybe the H3 is doing pretty good, all considered. Or maybe the H3 is not really made for this lifestyle, or just has too many miles on those old bones.

Before I go, the experts will want you to know something about (5) gross vehicle weight ratio and about (6) tongue weight. Both are safety factors and need to be a part of the next tow vehicle you look at. But for now, just work with the 1st 4.

encPullToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

See what weight your H3 will pull. Then load like you are going on a camping trip, ie, full gas, how many people that you would take with you, pets, food, waI ter, clothes, etc, just like previous guy said. Get it weighed.

Load the trailer like you normally do, then get it weighed.

Now you will see how, why you are having trouble pulling uphill.

I used to have a Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cyclinder, 5 speed, 4x4, California emissions, Extra cab. Also tried to pull a KZ 14' Sportsman Classic. That trailer alone weighted nearly 2100 lbs. By the time we had full gas tank, DW, clothes, food, bottled water, dog, we had trouble going uphill. A lot of trouble. Enough so that I told DW that this wasn't safe for us or others on the road. End result in in my signature.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #4

The H3 was woefully under powered, heavy vehicle and small engine. It was made for folks to be able to say "I have a Hummer". But unless you have the 5.3L, it it not made for towing much more than a pop-up. I'd be looking for a new tow vehicle or a lighter camper unfortunately.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

Quoted from Wikipedia:
Maximum towing capacities were 3,000 lb (1,361 kg) for the straight-5 with manual transmission, 4,500 lb (2,041 kg) for the straight-5 with automatic transmission, and 6,000 lb (2,722 kg) for the V8 with automatic transmission.

Also:
The V8 models featured the least maximum payload capacity of just over 1,100 lb (499 kg) while straight-5, manual transmission models allowed the greatest payload at 1,300 lb (590 kg).

So, take it to the CAT scales and check your weights.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking girl View Post
Hello,

I am sorta new to towing and tt been more than a year now. Lots to learn but enduring.

Anyhow, are there any other H3 drivers having a hard time towing uphill?

I have a 2,600 tt and having to floor my gas pedal to climb uphill grades.

I would appreciate any responses
Slow down. Gear down. Relax.
totaldla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
Slow down. Gear down....

I would agree. I would think flooring a gas engine uphill while towing is not helping your H3 engine much. I don't know anything about H3 towing capabilities, but I don't see many towing anything. Maybe time to shop around.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think having your setup working hard to travel uphill would be expected.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #9

The hummer to begin with has a very poor , old motor in it, it's not very powerful. More importantly, it weighs as much as a small tank, and has extremely low advertising towing ability. I think with the best motor they offer, you get like 6k advertised, which would be more like 3500-4000 after you take into account the real world. Couple that with your extremely outdated motor, and low power, I could totally see you struggling to get up a hill.
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 AM   #10

The H3 was not designed or meant for towing. It was sold as a cheaper alternative to the H1 or H2 so people could pretend to be Arnold.
Time to decide if the RV lifestyle is for you and then honestly decide how big and heavy a rig you want. We always buy larger units so figure this out and then buy the model that will haul that trailer. You won't be sorry and your travels will be more enjoyable as they should be.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #11

I just got back from a trip with my 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser+~4500lbs TT. Tows on the highway 55mph no problem, only complain is 7 degree downhill has poor handling while tight turns, probably due to short wheelbase.

I pulled the TT thru a 8 degree uphill for 2 miles while passing the Appalachian ridge. The engine is constantly at 5000rpm, but no problem keep with the traffic.

Your H3 has a longer WB than my FJ, so handling should be better. But if your H3 is not the Alpha, the 3.7L I5 engine may slightly underpower, but doing 50mph uphill shouldnt be a problem.

But, as many people said, it's not a safe combo, go slow and enjoy

BTW, I added an aux transmission cooler to prevent a costly burn
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #12

[QUOTE=09 harley;3682626]The H3 was not designed or meant for towing. It was sold as a cheaper alternative to the H1 or H2 so people could pretend to be Arnold.

H3 is not designed for towing, OK. But totally disagree with the later statement, people have various reasons to buy H3, maybe the style, maybe they don't need a big H2, not just because they are cheap and "Arnold" wannabe. Basically, your logic is that people who buy a half-ton truck just because it's a cheaper alternative to 3/4 or 1 ton PU truck, it just doesn't make sense.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

It's not a motor issue it's a vehicle weight issue.

I tow with a 06 Chevy Colorado with the I5 3.5 and my trailer is a 20ft 3000 pound unit. I set the cruise at 60mph in third gear run about 2800 rpm and going up the mountains it will drop to second gear and the rpm will get up to about 4500 and stay in cruise the whole time.

I also added a big transmission cooler.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, the H3 is actually an extremely capable off-roader, especially with the "off-road" pkg that includes lower transfer case gearing and electric locker(s)...BUT...it is a relatively heavy vehicle with a relatively underpowered engine (unless you have the Alpha model) and is really not ideal for towing anything heavy. I do indeed have the Alpha with the off-road pkg, and I love it, but I don't consider it a good "tow" vehicle for anything other than small trailers. On the other hand, they make great toads since the transfer case can be shifted to Neutral and the steering wheel does not lock.

4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing