Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

towing hitch receiver lenght

I recently got a 2007 Jayco Jayflight that had a hitch welded on the back. I am assuming the original owner towed something else behind it. But the hitch is 7.5 inches from pin to end cap without a collar. By comparing the normal on my tow vehicle and suv at 3.5 inches.

Here are my questions:

1. WHY???
2. Can I cut it down to standard and go without a collar?
3. Is the collar needed for just a bike rack or extra cargo rack?
4. Can I (average smuck) cut the extra off with a hack saw?
5. WHY???

Will post a picture later if needed.

Thank you
popamurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

Apparently the receiver was put on backwards.

If you want to hang cargo or bicycles from a trailer bumper, you might be asking for trouble. Trailer frames and bumpers are marginal at best.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

This receiver has two cross welded supports under the main frame welded to main frame. 
Name:   IMG_1550.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:   IMG_1549.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  109.4 KB
Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by popamurphy View Post
1. WHY???
Probably to mount a bike rack or cargo carrier loaded with stuff that needed more clearance space behind the trailer.

Quote:
2. Can I cut it down to standard and go without a collar?
There are several ways to skin a cat. That's one way.

Quote:
3. Is the collar needed for just a bike rack or extra cargo rack?
Probably not, for loads of less than about 300 pounds on the receiver.

Quote:
4. Can I (average smuck) cut the extra off with a hack saw?
Sure. That's one way to skin a cat.

But it appears someone added a length of tubing to the original receiver, then welded it in place.

That extra tubing out past what you are calling the collar is an extension. Disadvantage is any extension added to the length of the receiver reduces the weight the receiver can handle. I have a "factory" Reese extension that says it reduces the receiver's weight-carrying (WC) capacity to 65% of the receiver without the extension. My receiver is rated 500 pounds WC, so that means any luggage carrier I add to an extension cannot gross more than 325 pounds.

I would probably have my welding/fabrication shop use a cutting torch and cut out those welds, then remove that extension tubing, then clean up the receiver with files and sandpaper or whatever it requires (heavy duty Dremel tool?) so a 2" shank will easily slide in there. Then you can haul the full 500 pounds on the receiver without overloading the receiver.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #5

It's not a welded extension. It is one solid tube pipe from front to back. With no collar

Tags
tow, towing