Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #1

Towing in Overdrive or 3rd? Diesel 6.0 F250

I used to pull my travel trailer in 3 with my 1/2 ton gas Suburban. The transmission on my 1/2 ton did well with zero burn smell.

I now purchased a 3007 Ford F250 with Diesel 6.0.

My trailer weight is 8,000 lbs total. It is half of the Ford recommendations for pulling a conventional trailer.

When I put my diesel in 3, the motor winds up to 3,000 RPM. So, I have been using Overdrive with the towing selector on.

What is your recommendation?
Should I drive flat landscape in overdrive and use 3 when going up steep grades?
bpendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Find out the best 'power band' for your engine and try to keep the rpm in that range. A diesel has peak torque much sooner than a gasser, it takes some adjustment to driving habits to use the diesel to its best advantage. Is it an automatic or manual transmission? If automatic, I'd let the computer select the gear until you get used to it or have a need to shift manually. If a manual, pay attention to the rpm, temperature gauge and exhaust gas pyrometer if you have one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your owner's guide tells you to tow with the gear selecter in D and the tow/haul mode turned on. Then the computer will decide which gear you need.

You should downshift to 3rd only if in up-and-down hills or mountains and your tranny constantly shifts between 3rd and 4th and OD. That should be a rare condition, so basically use the tow-haul mode and drive.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X2 on Tow Haul...Lock it down in 3rd if shifting back and fourth. If RPMs get to high in 3rd, time to slow down.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Thank you all for your replies. I could not find the info clearly laid out in my owner's manual. I may have missed it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leave in OD and use Tow haul. If it wants to keep jumping to a lower gear, manually select the gears until you get to a flatter road and if will run on it's own.

We tow mostly in OD and on ocassion we will have to lock out OD and get up a hill.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Most Tow Haul activations do turn off the OD and lock up the TC.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The button on your 2007 shifter should be for tow/haul not over drive disable. When towing, I leave the trans in tow/haul as it changes the shift points and gives me engine braking. Overdrive is still enabled, the only change is the shift points and when OD kicks in.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #9

X3 or 4... Set it and forget it. The gears wind out a little more and The computer does the work. It's nice in traffic of sorts because when you go easy on the skinny pedal and let off, it will slow you down without much use of the brakes. I have an SCT tuner with the Aggressive tow custom tune and it is programmed to use the VGT (variable geometry turbo) as a mild Exaust brake. You feel it even more when TOW/HAUL is on.
07PSDCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #10

"3007 Ford F250 with Diesel 6.0."

and I thought the 2013's had come out early! lol
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
"3007 Ford F250 with Diesel 6.0."

and I thought the 2013's had come out early! lol
Nice catch! LOL! You should see the options! I must admit that the news channel is more like the history channel
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpendley View Post
I used to pull my travel trailer in 3 with my 1/2 ton gas Suburban. The transmission on my 1/2 ton did well with zero burn smell.

I now purchased a 3007 Ford F250 with Diesel 6.0.

My trailer weight is 8,000 lbs total. It is half of the Ford recommendations for pulling a conventional trailer.

When I put my diesel in 3, the motor winds up to 3,000 RPM. So, I have been using Overdrive with the towing selector on.

What is your recommendation?
Should I drive flat landscape in overdrive and use 3 when going up steep grades?
So you're saying for the 2007 model year your F250 6.0l diesel Ford has a max towing capacity of 16000 lbs?? I though it was 12,500??

Also for whatever it's worth my 2003 says it's OK to leave the tow/haul botton off if the transmission isn't over heating.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
On my Ex's,
I always left it in drive WITHOUT tow/Haul unless towing VERY heavy.... and the gears were changing a lot... IMHO what u are towing is not HEAVY

what you are trying to do is stop the trans from hunting for gears - shifting up and down too much... keeping it in one higher gear lets the trans lockup which is the best for performance and best for the tranny...

maybe this will help:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...07_default.asp
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishaPalooza View Post
So you're saying for the 2007 model year your F250 6.0l diesel Ford has a max towing capacity of 16000 lbs?? I though it was 12,500??
2007 F-250 with 6.0L engine has 5er tow ratings of 15,400 to 16,500, depending on cab, transmission and drivetrain.

But you will run out of payload capacity for hitch weight way before you reach 15k trailer weight. So from a realistic viewpoint, about 12,500 is the most you could hope to tow without exceeding the GVWR of the F-250.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, towing