RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #1

Towing issues

Hey Guys. Still having a problem with my truck going all over the place while towing. We have a Dutchmen Endurance TT Toy Hauler that weighs in currently at 10,000lbs with no toys. We have a Chevy 2500 with supersprings in the rear(leaf spring helpers) and a 14k rated Equalizer hitch. We adjusted the hitch today and got it within 1/2 of inch from being level in front and rear. Went down the road and the truck was all over the place between 57-65 mph. A couple of things, is there anyway that these supersprings are messing up the setup? Maybe not allowing all the weight to be distributed equally? The equalizer bars are very tight(have been since day 1), is there anyway that is messing up the weight distribution? On a side note, we towed a TT for a friend of ours that weighs in at 8500lbs and had the dealer adjust the hitch to her TT and had the same issue going down the interstate

KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

Do you have new or fairly new mud terrain tires on the truck.

NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Do you have new or fairly new mud terrain tires on the truck.
BF Goodrich A/T with about 5,000 miles on them
Old 06-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #4

Getting the truck level is not a valid setup criteria. The WDH does "front axle load restoration" (FALR). The goal is to have enough load on the steer axle for safe handling, not to get the truck level. The FALR is never more than 100% (meaning the axle has more load than when unloaded), many manufacturers recommend between 50% and 75%.
When the WDH is cranked too much the rear end of the tow vehicle becomes very stiff and not compliant with the road undulations. That increases oversteer and causes generally weird handling. The added springs contribute to the stiffness as well.
Try less weight distribution, ideally take it to the scales and measure the unloaded front axle weight and then adjust the WDH so weight is close to unloaded. The rear might have more sag but is also softer.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #5

Thanks, make sense. The springs makes it very stiff in the back. Raises it a little over an inch
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

I had a similar issue when I had a new set of tires inflated to max on the front of my previous truck. Reducing it 5 PSI helped.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Toy hauler? Are your toys in it? Are the tires load rating E?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #8

Today there were no toys. It does the same thing with the golf cart and bikes loaded though.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #9

I’ve talked myself into just taking the supersprings off and adjusting the hitch again. Hopefully that gives me a smooth tow
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #10

Try backing off of your WD a bit. I think that's your issue. If you have it set too high, the rear end will be very jumpy and won't want to hold the road.

Do you have one with the bars and a chain? Take the WD bars completely off. Then with the tongue sitting on the hitch ball latched and ready to go, put the WD bars back on with the link of the chain that just barely tightens all the way when you flip the bracket up. Then drive around a little and see what happens. If it drives better, your issue was having the bars too tight.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Hey Guys. Still having a problem with my truck going all over the place while towing. We have a Dutchmen Endurance TT Toy Hauler that weighs in currently at 10,000lbs with no toys. We have a Chevy 2500 with supersprings in the rear(leaf spring helpers) and a 14k rated Equalizer hitch. We adjusted the hitch today and got it within 1/2 of inch from being level in front and rear. Went down the road and the truck was all over the place between 57-65 mph. A couple of things, is there anyway that these supersprings are messing up the setup? Maybe not allowing all the weight to be distributed equally? The equalizer bars are very tight(have been since day 1), is there anyway that is messing up the weight distribution? On a side note, we towed a TT for a friend of ours that weighs in at 8500lbs and had the dealer adjust the hitch to her TT and had the same issue going down the interstate
Sounds like the tow vehicle is simply overloaded. If so, you can pile on all the helper devices you want, they'll all help a wee bit but the truck is still past it's design and possibly legal capacities. We don't know until you show us the door jamb sticker and also someslips from a weigh station loaded and unloaded.

Tires. Size, brand and load rating of your tires will greatly influence towing. Wide mushy offroad tires suck at towing.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Sounds like the tow vehicle is simply overloaded. If so, you can pile on all the helper devices you want, they'll all help a wee bit but the truck is still past it's design and possibly legal capacities. We don't know until you show us the door jamb sticker and also someslips from a weigh station loaded and unloaded.

Tires. Size, brand and load rating of your tires will greatly influence towing. Wide mushy offroad tires suck at towing.
The truck is not overload. Its under every rating including payload, confirmed by CAT scales. Just like the last sentence of my post said, towed a TT for a friend that weighs roughly 8500lbs loaded and it did the exact same thing. It is 100% not a weight issue
Old 06-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #13

The CAT scale numbers are based on golf cart and bikes loaded in garage and 90 gallons of fresh water, which is up front. The truck was driving weird with that set up as well. Unloaded with no water and no toys, it does the same thing
Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #14

As stated above are you adjusting the WDH for a level TV or have you taken unloaded measurements on the front end of your TV and tried to return the front end to that measurement when loaded? Be sure to do this with the toys loaded too.

You sound very focused on the rear end and I don't think you're confirming the front end isn't overloaded by the WD hitch. Worry more about the front measurements when setting up a WD hitch.

You say you have CAT scale numbers? Can you post those? Did you make 3 passes?

ASTMedic is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing