Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #1

Towing Length Limits

I have a friend out in California who tows his Jeep Wrangler behind his 5th wheel. He says his rig is about 90 feet long on the road.

We have the Winnebago and tow a Jeep Wrangler. We also have a 17 foot aluminum boat. Would I be violating any laws, be they laws of man, physics, or other, if I were to tow the boat behind the Jeep, behind the Winnebago?

Our hitch has been upgraded and we use a Brake Buddy in the Jeep. So I know that the Winnebago is capable, I'm just not sure about the legal aspect of doing this. Help!

Would I be legal in YOUR state?

MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Most states have a 65' length limit for non commercial vehicles. Also depends on the state weather you can tow 2 trailers or not. You will have to check on each state that you plan on traveling through for their rules and regulations on this.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

Some states allow double towing some don't you can check by googling state towing laws you also need to google state length laws. As long as it's legal in the states your traveling in and you don't exceed your GCWR it can be done. To me it sounds like a red flag to law enforcement so make sure your legal and be prepared to prove it if your stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #4

The maximum length in CA for truck and trailer, or anything is 65'. You can tow double only if you have a Commercial Class A license that permits double towing provided you do not exceed the 65' length. I do not believe the 90' total length.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
My concern for being blatantly over the limit, besides the safety factor of braking and handling, is running into the one LEO who has a hot nut for this type of infraction. He could, well with-in his right, fine you and prevent you from moving the rig until you are in compliance. Make sure that your Wrangler is able to legally tow the boat on it's own and meets the GCVW rating.

I knew someone who was stopped for a routine check in PA. He has a 3500 pickup towing a 44' double car trailer and though his rig was totally legal, his truck was not registered for that combined weight. He was fined $2400 and forced to wait on the side of the road until someone who had the "proper" truck could come and get his trailer.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

Here is where to check towing laws. http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm
Old 08-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
It is only a problem if you get stopped.

Most states have a length specification. Some folks will tell you that RV's are exempt but to operate on that premise is foolish IMO.

I think you can probably get some understanding if you are driving in a sensible manner and not overly impeding traffic or causing an unsafe environment. I do not know of many officers who are looking to spoil a tourists vacation but there will be a few out there. If you decide to test the waters you have to be prepared to pay a penalty.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feed back everyone.

Not including the Blue Ox tow bar we are at 64 feet 9 inches, give or take a few. So we are over by the distance used by the tow bar, about 68~69 feet total I think.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I would surmise that since you are visibly aorund the 65' over-all length limit, if you stay in states that allow triple towing, you will probably be ok. For your sake & everyone else on the road, just make sure it stops (working brakes on the toad and trailer).
Old 08-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

I agree, and for the sake of everyone's piece of mind including my own we will not do this. It's just not worth the risk I think. Besides, the Jeep tows the boat just fine for short trips.

Maybe for the long trips I'll strap a 2 seater fishing kayak on top of the Jeep
Old 08-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Keep in mind that some states that allow "triple towing" reserve that to truck/5th wheel/trailer (Michigan is one). Towing 2 bumper tows are not allowed. Just saying, check carefully.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Would I be legal in YOUR state?
Your double tow (two trailers ) would be legal in my state.
In fact we also triple tow (three trailers) which are common in the summer. Usually its a truck pulling a 5th wheel trailer/ski boat trailer/and a PWC trailer bringing up the rear.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
Here is where to check towing laws. http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm
And they are known to be wrong too, or at least they were for WA, OR and CA the last I checked. But they are still the best one out there.

Just checked again at least CA is right now for towing a car behind a MH. WA and OR are still wrong though. Both WA and OR require the combination vehicle to stop from XX mph in XX feet. WA is the same speed and distance as CA but OR's is tougher.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is no practical length limit on interstate highways in the US, but the various states have them. If triple towing is legal in the state you are towing in , but you are over the state length limit, you can get in trouble once you travel too far off the interstate highway. The laws are all jumbled up from one place to another.

The only way to be sure is to call the folks that do highway law enforcement work and hope they can give you the proper advice, or search the various state websites and hope you can understand the legalese.

Tags
tow, towing