Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
jak

Towing Mirrors

I have a new 2013 Dodge Ram 1500. My dealer insists there are currently no OEM towing mirrors to fit my truck. Apparently even mirrors off a 2500 Ram would not work. When I say "not work" I mean the electric components are not compatible, they will bolt onto door alright.I did a google search and could not find even aftermarket mirrors to fit. Anyone else run into this? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

Not working at Dodge any more and no dealer in town that I live in to check this out. So bear with me as I try to figure this out.
Did Dodge drop the flip up tow mirrors as an option on the 1500s ?
I know I've seen 1500s with the flip mirrors in the past; I'm sure I've even changed a few. The , side to side , up down , power was corrected by slip ring contacts in the flip hinge, so the mirror controller was the same, between the standard 5X7 power mirror and the flip/ tow ; now, I retired in 07 so things may have changed, but a change like this makes no sense.
I'll get to the Dodge web site and try to figure this out.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
jak

The dealer and their mechanic say the pig tails are different and no towing mirrors are available at this time. They can put the 2500 mirrors on my truck but I will have no electric adjustment, will have to do manually. They did say if it was a 2012 there would be no problem. I just can't believe that dodge didn't have the foresight to think guys with a 1500 wouldn't need mirrors. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a set of these that I used for over 30 years and then sold them with a boat. I'd used them on a number of different tow vehicles whether I was towing an RV (including on our '96 Dodge Ram one ton - towing a 38' 5th wheel). Last year I bought another boat and bought another pair. I expect they'll outlast me.

McKesh mirrors
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
According to the following Motor Trend article on 2013 Ram 1500 Mopar accessories, the following is what you need (note: since this is from a magazine article, I'd verify before ordering, but it should give a good Mopar parts man a place to start):

Quote:
Trailer Tow Mirrors (MSRP: $465, Part Number: 82210941AB)
Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

From what I found online , they have added a " power fold " feature to the tow mirrors, so different switches and wiring involved.
Manufacturer changing things without thinking of the customer; that's never happened before.
Could be worth looking into Rusty's P/N , maybe you only need the mirrors off a 2012.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The part number in post #5 is supposed to be unique for the 2013s (as I said, though, I can't vouch for that personally). From what I'm reading, the 2012 and back 1500 tow mirrors are not functionally interchangeable.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
jak

Well I have to give my dealer credit. They found a truck (2013 1500) that came from the factory with towing mirrors. They yanked them off and put them on my truck and said they would worry about replacement later. Now I have towing mirrors with all the electric gizmos. But the parts guy, the service guy and the manager all tried and all said they cannot find a part # for those mirrors. They now have a brand new truck on their lot with no mirrors. That is impressive service and I am a happy camper.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Well I have to give my dealer credit. They found a truck (2013 1500) that came from the factory with towing mirrors. They yanked them off and put them on my truck and said they would worry about replacement later. Now I have towing mirrors with all the electric gizmos. But the parts guy, the service guy and the manager all tried and all said they cannot find a part # for those mirrors. They now have a brand new truck on their lot with no mirrors. That is impressive service and I am a happy camper.
That IS very good service. They know you will remember that when you need a new truck and you should. However not many dealers would do that. Glad you got it fixed.
Chad
Old 05-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dang, you missed a good opportunity to get a 2500 Cummins diesel.

Ken

Tags
towing