Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #1

If i use a towbar im wondering if it will follow the trailer due to tail swing.
cborthoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #2

If i use a towbar im wondering if it will follow the trailer due to tail swing.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
cborthoffroad,

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

Jeeps are towed behind motorhomes which have a rear axle overhang similar to a fifth wheel and they follow OK.

Other than safety issues involving weight and length considerations and also questions of legality in some states, I'm sure it could be done.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #4

Thank you for the info you are right if it works with a motorhome it should work with my 5th wheel and i will check into the weight issue.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I pulled a 97 TJ behind my Terry for a couple of years. You are correct in that the jeep will follow the tail swing, no cutting across at all, it follows the trailer perfectly. The biggest issue I had was the debris damage from the trailer to the front of the jeep, make sure you put a good guard on the tow bar, one on the bottom of the trailer won't get the job done. The other issue is seeing the jeep while going down the road. If I was going to tow again I would put a rear vision camera on so I could watch the jeep.

Other than that, just the legal aspects of it depending on the states you are towing in, the length, brakes, and all that. But, as far as towing, its no problem, just remember, you can't back up more than about 10ft.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #6

Thank you vette racer your info is a great help i will be sure to get rockgaurds and a rear view camera i also pull with a 2002 chevy duramax auto trans but i dont get very good fuel mileage any help there would be great.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, don't know that I can help you there. Mine (3500) gets between 6.5-11 pulling 24K. It can vary all over the place depending on every factor known to man and probably a few not known. I can usually bet the farm on an average of 9 and go from there.

I don't really know if my Edge box costs me mileage or not but it sure helps my LB7 towing all that weight so...no matter what, I'll keep it. Good luck!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote