Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
We have an F150 super cab 4wd with a v6 ecoboost engine and are looking at a Forest River Surveyor SP 240 trailer. Trailer dry weight is around 4700 lb. tow capacity of truck is 11000. The truck has a heavy weight trailer tow package with 3.73 rear end ratio. Any opinions on whether this would work as a match for towing? We would use a weight distribution anti sway hitch. Any advise appreciated.

Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
I towed a 5,500 lb. trailer with the 5.0 liter F-150. The truck and trailer were a good match. The Eco-Boost is a nice powerful engine and the frame on the F-150 is the best in the light duty arena.

I would expect your mpg to be around 10.5 to 12.5 - Depends on how fast you drive.

Now my truck was rated to tow 8,500 lbs. No way would I try to max the truck out. I would not tow more than 8,000 lbs with any light duty truck. Make that 7,500 lbs.

You have to smile when you hit the gas in that Eco-Boost truck.

Fyi - I traded my 5.0 liter F-150 that I really liked on a 2012 F-450 that I really like and now tow a 5th wheel.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
No issue with lots to spare. I wouldn't have a problem with my little diesel with that trailer either.
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD tuned by Green Diesel Engineering
Trailer - 2011 Rockwood Roo 21BH
ChooChooMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be good to go with your EcoBoost. Smokey Wren has an Eco Boost and should be around here soon.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
There are lots of post and articles on the web about the EcoBoost being a better tow vehicle than the V8, primarily due to the torque curve.

So you have a good match-up. You'll definately want a WD hitch, as you tongue weight loaded will be higher than 500 lbs. So get your dealer to set up you hitch for you and make sure your trailer is nice and level. You truck should not sag a bit with the SP-240, but if it does, you have a couple inexpensive options to fix that.

The SP-240 is a great family trailer - you should have a great time with it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Thank you for all the advise. We really liked the size of the SP 240. For two people and two labs it might be a little tight on multiple rainy days, but the outside kitchen is one of the preferred items on our list. Looks like we are closer to getting back to camping
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Kdjay View Post
We have an F150 super cab 4wd with a v6 ecoboost engine and are looking at a Forest River Surveyor SP 240 trailer. Trailer dry weight is around 4700 lb. tow capacity of truck is 11000. The truck has a heavy weight trailer tow package with 3.73 rear end ratio. Any opinions on whether this would work as a match for towing?
First, don't fool yourself by using the dry weight of the trailer. Nobody tows a dry trailer. Almost everybody will have the trailer loaded to almost the GVWR of the trailer by the middle of the third RV trip.

The GVWR of that trailer is 4,759 dry weight plus 2,829 carrying capacity, for a GVWR of 7,588. Count on the trailer grossing 7,500 pounds. The dry hitch weight percent is 12.3%, so count on it being at least that much when wet and loaded for the road. I would use 13% for your purposes, and it can easily go up to 15%. So count on hitch weight of around 975 to 1,125, or rounded to 1,000 pounds.

It sounds like your truck has the max tow pkg but not the HD Payload pkg. So your GVWR is 7,700 pounds? Your tow rating of 11,000 pounds is Ford's wet dream because it ignores hitch weight. You can pull a TT that weighs over 11,000 pounds, but the hitch weight will cause you to be overloaded. (My F-150 EcoBoost is overloaded over the GVWR of my F-150 with my TT that weighs only 4,870 pounds when wet and loaded on the road, but my GVWR is only 7,100 pounds because I don't have the max tow pkg.)

So it sounds like that trailer will be a good match for your tow vehicle - provided you don't haul much weight in the pickup. Two adults and two labs plus a few pounds for tools should be no problem. You'll know for sure how much wiggle room you have for more weight in the truck after your first trip across the CAT scale in the middle of your first RV trip.

But if you want to be certain before you spend the money on that trailer, then weigh the pickup before you buy the trailer. Load the pickup with everything that will be in it when towing - people, pets, tools, spares, options such as bed rug or spray-in bedliner, and the shank/ball mount for your weight-distributing hitch. Go to a truckstop that has a CAT scale, fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded F-150. If it weighs less than about 6,700 without the trailer, then you'll probably be okay. If it weighs less than 6,500, you're good to go buy that trailer.

We would use a weight distribution anti sway hitch.
I hope so. Any TT that weighs more than 5,000 pounds requires a WD hitch. I would not tow a trailer that grosses more than about 3,500 pounds without a WD hitch.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote