Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks

I am going to weigh the rig next week. I am going to check and torque everything and double check. Once I have the number I am going back to the dealer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #16

sounds like porposing. I had it on my previous trailer. No matter how I adjusted the hitch, no matter how I loaded the trailer it still did it. Both on a half ton and 3/4 truck. Even swapped out the shackles on the trailer with some better shock absorbing ones and it still did it.

Then we got a new trailer and it all went away.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Dazed and confused

Ok went to cat scales, here are my weights. Someone more knowledgeable help me out here, please.

Ford F150 Supercrew 145 in. bed 20 inch wheels 355 gear
Ford reported GCVW limit 13,600
TT= Rockwood Mini Lite 25 foot 2506S
Ez-lift WDH 1400# with two bars and chains

As weighted
CGVW 10,960 Loaded truck 6120 TT 4791 Tongue weight 590

Truck front and rear weights no trailer
Front steer axle 3380 Fords max weight 3600
Rear drive axle 2740 Fords max weight 4050

WDH installed with 5 chain links on bars two loose.
Bar parallel to TT tongue.

Truck front wheel weight 2960 lost 420# from front steer axle
Truck rear wheel weight 3660 Gained 920# on rear drive axle
TT weight 4340 on tandem axels

WDH installed with 6 links and one loose. Bars still parallel

Truck front wheel weight 2860
Truck rear wheel weight 3820
TT weight 4280

With WDH install at 5 links truck sits level trailer level and front wheel well height only rose 1/8 inch from unloaded height.

Trailer pulls OK but porpoises and does sway (some) going over overpasses.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have an well set up WDH, and a 2500 truck. My weights are:

Front axle: 4820
Rear axle: 4800
Trailer: 5120

WDHs are not vertical shock or motion damping systems. They are springs. Without knowing more about your set up (I don't own the hitch you're using), yo may just have to put up with some of the vertical motion influence you are getting. I get some porposing too. I'm not concerned about it.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #19

Hmmm. I'm still learning, BUT I thought a WD hitch was supposed to transfer weight off of the TV rear axle and onto the TV front axle and to the TT axles. Your numbers say that you have subtracted weight from the front and added it to the rear axle of your truck. That doesn't sound right.

Also, I found the following document from Goodyear Tires that has a section on how to get complete weights for your rig. To be completely safe, you need to verify that not only are the axle weights correct, but also that you are balanced left to right so that no one wheel/tire is overloaded. Suggest that you read thru the PDF that you can download from http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

Safe travels.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Hmmm. I'm still learning, BUT I thought a WD hitch was supposed to transfer weight off of the TV rear axle and onto the TV front axle and to the TT axles. Your numbers say that you have subtracted weight from the front and added it to the rear axle of your truck. That doesn't sound right.
A properly adjusted WD hitch will do just that. You have to weigh the rig twice, once without the WD spring bars attached, and another with the spring bars tightened. Texan79423 didn't compare apples to apples. He compared the weight on the truck without a trailer to the weight of the truck with the trailer plus the WD hitch hooked up with the spring bars tight. He didn't weigh the truck with the trailer but without the spring bars. Therefore his numbers are useless for determining if the WD hitch is correctly adjusted.

No need to weigh the tow vehicle without the trailer tied on if your objective is to determine if your WD hitch is properly adjusted.

The difference in the weights on each axle will tell you how much weight the hitch is distributing. With the spring bars tightened, you should see less weight on the rear axle and more weight on the front and trailer axles compared to the same rig but without the spring bars attached.

When you drop the tongue on the ball, the see-saw effect will cause the front axle to lose weight and the rear axle to gain weight, while the trailer axles remain unaffected. But when you tighten the spring bars, weight is removed from the rear axle and distributed to the front and trailer axles.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:27 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Duh Thanks men

That's just like most things I do learning something new.

I am really good at my trade of 40 years. The main reason I am so good is because most things I do I have to redo so I have twice the experience as many of the others.
Proof positive you learn from your mistakes! I will head back to the scale soon.
Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan79423 View Post
Next question to add tongue weight would that require tilting the ball slightly aft or to rear say one washer or put the chain in the sixth link one left over to tilt bars slightly downward to pull weight of truck front wheels?
The spring bar adjustment (based on number of chain lengths used) affects only the amount of weight distributed off the rear axle of the tow vehicle. The tighter the spring bars, the less tongue weight left on the rear axle. You want 50% to 60% of the tongue weight to remain on the rear axle after the spring bars are tight.

To adjust how the weight removed from the rear axle is distributed requires you to adjust the tilt of the head of the hitch. Adjusting the tilt shouldn't change the weight on the rear axle, just the weight on the front axle and the trailer axles.

As mentioned several times in this thread, you must know the actual tongue weight of the wet and loaded trailer. If you don't want to invest in a Sherline Tongue Weight scale, then you can compute tongue weight based on two scale tickets. One ticket you now have - the one for the truck without the trailer. The other you don't have yet - the one with the trailer but without the spring bars tightened. Add the front and rear axle weight to get GVW of the truck. GVW without the trailer subtracted from GVW with the trailer but without the spring bars tightened will give you actual tongue weight.

Example: A TT that grosses 5,000 pounds will have about 600 to 650 pounds of tongue weight. Compare the axle weights with and without the spring bars attached. If your tongue weight is 650 pounds, then when you tighten the spring bars you want that weight distributed to about 130 to 160 pounds added to the front axle and another 130 to 160 pounds added to the trailer axles. That leaves 330 to 390 pounds on the rear axle.

Tags
tow, towing