Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Towing question (go figure)

Feel free to consider me special needs. I know this topic probable has been beaten to death but the more I read the more confused I become. I plead to you the experts for advice. I have the following. TV Ram 2500 Crew cab 4X4 5.7 HEMI. TT Salem Cruise Lite 26rksxl
TV GVWR 8800. TT GVWR 7600. Tongue wt 600lbs. My question is this; is the equalizer hitch a reliable anti sway hitch and adequate addition to this set up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #2

Sure the tongue weight isn't around 750-800? A WD hitch should handle this fine. You might consider the ProPride hitch: www.propridehitch.com and that would cure any sway problem.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
Sure the tongue weight isn't around 750-800? A WD hitch should handle this fine. You might consider the ProPride hitch: www.propridehitch.com and that would cure any sway problem.
Joe
I'm sure 750 is a more realistic tongue weight when loaded. I was under the impression that the equalizer hitch afforded sway protection without spending the additional 1500 more on a hitch that uses a similar principle
Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

A WD hitch should do fine, when set correctly. Did not mean to infer that it would not. The ProPride, and also the Hensley Arrow are both a step up in sway control.
I have used both types--after using the Hensley, would not tow a TT without one. I suggested the ProPride as a less-expensive unit than the Arrow.
Joe
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
A WD hitch should do fine, when set correctly. Did not mean to infer that it would not. The ProPride, and also the Hensley Arrow are both a step up in sway control.
I have used both types--after using the Hensley, would not tow a TT without one. I suggested the ProPride as a less-expensive unit than the Arrow.
Joe
Thank you for the advice and I would like to upgrade to the ProPride or Arrow someday. Can't really afford that right now and I have someone that will sell me a equalizer for dirt cheap. His TT was totaled in a storm and he never had a chance to take the hitch out of the box. Our usual trips are 200 miles long down relatively flat interstate highways
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Joe
I appreciate your advice wingnut60. I would like to upgrade to the ProPride or Arrow someday. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the equalizer. I was offered a deal on an equalizer that is about a 1/4 of the actual price. The neighbor bought it new and it's still in the box. His TT was totaled in a storm where it was parked and he never had a chance to install it
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by derald1961 View Post
I appreciate your advice wingnut60. I would like to upgrade to the ProPride or Arrow someday. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the equalizer. I was offered a deal on an equalizer that is about a 1/4 of the actual price. The neighbor bought it new and it's still in the box. His TT was totaled in a storm where it was parked and he never had a chance to install it
I won't try to debate the pros & cons of HA or WD hitches. I have used WD hitches for over 40yrs. and the time I had handling problems was with a 17' TT that had grossly under sized tires. I put bigger, heavier tires on it and it became the best handling TT that I have had.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #8

Equalizer is a good hitch--if it is new in box, at 1/4 the new price, you can't go wrong. Go for it.
Joe
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by derald1961 View Post
TV GVWR 8800. TT GVWR 7600. Tongue wt 600lbs. My question is this; is the equalizer hitch a reliable anti sway hitch and adequate addition to this set up?
Equal-I-Zer makes reasonably reliable and safe weight-distributing hitches with sway control. They are as good as the other inexpensive hitches, such as Reese, DrawTite, Curt, Hidden Hitch, Valley, etc.

Whether it good enough is in the eye of the beholder. If you've ever had a trailer go into a severe uncontrollable sway, then you'll be glad to pay a lot more to assure that you will never get into an uncontrollable sway again. There are basically three expensive hitch systems guaranteed to not allow sway. ProPride, Hensley Arrow, and PullRite. But they all cost about twice as much as the more-common Reese and Equal-I-Zer weight distributing hicthes with sway control.

If it's my neck and my children's necks and my grandchildren's necks at stake, then I'm going to pay the big bucks for a ProPride hitch. But thousands of folks get by with the less-expensive hitches such as the Equal-I-Zer.

Equalizer makes 5 sizes of hitches, for trailers that gross 4,000 or less, 6,000 or less, 10,000 or less, 12,000 or less, and 14,000 or less.

In your case, don't buy that bargain hitch unless it is the one rated for 10,000 pounds or less. Since your trailer has a GVWR of 7,600 pounds, then your hitch should be the one rated for 10,000 pounds gross trailer weight. The Equalizer rated for 6,000 pounds trailer is not enough hitch for your trailer and the ones rated for more than 10,000 are overkill.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
With the 3/4 ton truck a WD Hitch will be all you will need.
Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #12

I have used the Equalize WD hitch for years with good results. It is cost effective and also I only tow in Florida so we don't have any mountains and the wind isn't too bad. I did tow through a tropical storm once (on way home) and it was fine.

Joe
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #13

I just looked at that ProPride 3 and the Hensley Arrow. Watched the Video's. Man, those are really nice. I can see the additional cost. They both look very similar in form and function. I will have to save my pennies for one. For now though, I'm happy with the WD/Sway setup I have.

If your trailer is swaying, or starting too. Why don't you drag the trailer brakes a little while maintaining the speed of your vehicle? "snap the rope straight" so to speak?

Joe
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28
I just looked at that ProPride 3 and the Hensley Arrow. Watched the Video's. Man, those are really nice. I can see the additional cost. They both look very similar in form and function. I will have to save my pennies for one. For now though, I'm happy with the WD/Sway setup I have.

If your trailer is swaying, or starting too. Why don't you drag the trailer brakes a little while maintaining the speed of your vehicle? "snap the rope straight" so to speak?

Joe
I'm not having any swaying issues. Just a little preventative Information gathering. Never used a WD/sway hitch (didn't realize they made such a thing till I joined this site). I pulled everything from a go cart trailer to the most over loaded trailers on the farm you can imagine. Always used the trailer brakes to even us out.