Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
i can't believe my dealer sent me away with a 2 inch shank... ... they had to order a second blue ox shank anyway because the stock one didn't have enough holes to get the ball low enough due to my truck bed height. So when they ordered that taller hitch, you'da thunk they would have ordered it in a 2.5 inch shank at the same time.... go figure.

Maybe I just need longer chains... and extra two links would give me the reach to get to the bottom and through the back.

I hate the adapter, it's a real pain to get everything lined up while you're holding a gazzilion pound hitch..

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is, and that is why I stopped removing it. I have a hitch lock that doesn't get in the way, and when I drop the trailer, I put a plastic shopping over it to remind me not to hit it with my knee, and to keep my clothes cleaner.

But I full time, so hitching to go in the very near future is a real possibility, and leaving the hitch on the truck makes that easier.

ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #17
I have an F-150 and I had a hard time getting the hooks thru the safety chain holes in the hitch receiver. I went to Home Depot and bought two 3500 lb rated links. Now I just clip the safety chains on the links. Works great.

Lehigh 3500 lb. x 3/8 in. x 3-1/4 in. Stainless Steel Quick Link-7443S-6 - The Home Depot
2016 Winnebago 2201DS
2015 Ford F-150 5.0 L
Badlands Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Might I suggest that the load bearing ability of something like a quick link, and its ability to take a great deal of shock, may be two very different things. If it were me, I'd get quick links that could carry much more weight than I believe they would be forced to carry just to be safe, as long as their size allowed me to use them of course.

For example, I have a 6K pound trailer. I would try to get two 6K pound quick links, as long as their size would allow me to use them on my safety chains and attachment holes on my hitch.

ETA: It appears there are 7,500 pound 1/2 inch quick links avialable from eTtrailer.com, so they are out there.

The odds are in my favor that I will never need them, but if I ever do, ...

I'm am *not* a big fan of surprises.
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #19
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
they would have to be large enough to go around my opening... these might be, I'll measure..

but I was thinking about something like this.

Amazon.com: Heavy Duty 3/4" Steel Shackle For Towing, Off-Road Recovery, Hauling, Sailing | By Titan Auto (3/4" 1 Pack, Powder Coated Black): Automotive
Get the shackle at 9500 lbs each and will with stand heavy shock loads from a heavy bumper pull trailer...when its needed.

Those 1/2" quick links are only 3300 lb rated = 6600 lbs per pair. Might be good for lighter weight trailers.

On all of my GN/pintle/bumper pull trailer I use safety latch hooks. 3/8 Clevis Slip Hook - Grade 70

They fit all size of chains and come in grade 43/70/80. I find them at Lowes/farm and ranch stores/trailers parts supply stores.

'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing