Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Timon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I just have to wonder..... Why worry about how fast someone else is going when they are towing? I may shake my head at someone running a bit fast, but you are only responsible for your vehicle.
Because when towing at high speeds there are many things that can go wrong and kill not only the driver but others around them. A car going 80 is bad enough but 30,000 of truck and trailer doing 80 can wipeout a lot of people fast when something goes wrong.

Why is that, because the kinetic energy of a vehicle traveling 80, 8,701,720.55 Joules, is almost double that of one traveling at 60, 4,894,717.81 Joules. Take that up even another 5mph and it will be more than doubled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
DMTTRANSPORT,
I agree with you, too slow compared to traffic speed is just as dangerous as too fast. I do normally drive at 62 to 65 in the right lane, but have sped up when it becomes necessary due to traffic conditions. As far as driving too fast, when you see the trailer wagging like the tail of a happy dog, they are a danger to everyone on the road, and it is too fast.
Frank
Yes and no, if you're on a two lane road and going slow you need to pull over and let people pass. However on a multi-land highway you stay in the right lane above the minimum speed you're running safe because the right lane is for slower traffic. Just because someone wants to do 75 in the slow lane is no reason that everyone else should.

In addition try tell that to the LEO that pull you over for speeding. But officer, everyone else was doing 80 so I was just trying to keep with the flow. The next thing after you say that is the LEO giving you the ticket. No Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
As states increase their speed limits like Ohio from 65mph to 70mph. Utah was xxx now xxx plus, Texas upped their speed limit etc.etc. To me these new higher speed limits makes it more difficult to find a good speed when towing or driving a RV. It is best to go with the flow. Not too slow. I know I do not want cars zooming up on me then zipping around me. That just makes me nervous. Especially in traffic. I try to stay around 72mph. That cuts my mpg by 1 but I am going with the flow better.

The higher speed limits are good for cars but not for us who tow or drive an RV.
Why, If the towing speed limit is 60 then and the Auto speed limit is 75 or 80 why I should feel pressured to drive above the towing speed limit? That's just plain ridiculous and the way accidents happen. The 60mph limit is there for a reason and telling someone they "Should" go faster because other want to is just crazy. If you want to go faster then move over to a faster lane.

This is one reason I don't agree with those states that say everyone has to travel in the right lane except with passing. That does create safety issues since they are constantly moving in and out of the slow lane. I have no idea what those states were thinking when they put those rules in. Oh, wait a minute, I do know, they weren't thinking which is normal for government workers.

One last point. As the speed increases the drag increases exponentially which is the primary reason your milage goes to pot with increased speed. If there was no drag then you would get about the same milage doing 80 as you do going 60.
__________________

__________________
John (N6BER), Joyce, Lucas (Golden Retriever mix), Bella (Great Pyrenees) and Lance (Great Pyrenees).
Tustin, CA
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Franka548's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 3,465
I agree with pulling over on 2 lanes if you are holding up traffic, But I have not seen the speed limit above 65mph on a 2 lane road. The higher speed limits are usually limited to interstate highways or limited access highways.
On another note, A properly set up and loaded TT is just as safe as a 5er. the problem is too many people do not set the hitch up properly or don't have enough tongue weight on the trailer. Another reason for bad things happening , is a severely overloaded TV.
Frank
__________________

__________________
05 Alfa Gold 40' Motor Home "Goldie" 03 Malibu Toad towing 4 down
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything Above for sale PM me for details
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
DMTTRANSPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
I agree with pulling over on 2 lanes if you are holding up traffic, But I have not seen the speed limit above 65mph on a 2 lane road. The higher speed limits are usually limited to interstate highways or limited access highways.
On another note, A properly set up and loaded TT is just as safe as a 5er. the problem is too many people do not set the hitch up properly or don't have enough tongue weight on the trailer. Another reason for bad things happening , is a severely overloaded TV.
Frank
Yes 65 usually on a 2 lane with people not in a hurry doing 50
__________________
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 134
Smile Passing and being passed

Yes, that also brings to mind the people that get into the passing lane, then get right beside you, even traveling below the speed limit, and just hold a holding pattern. When I do pass, I always attempt to get past the vehicle i'm passing as quickly as reasonable possible. Also, I will try to be at least 5 or 6 vehicle lengths ahead before I pull into the right lane. That way if I were to spit a stone or other object in the center line, it doesn't go right into the passed vehicles windshield. That's another reason I try to maintain a reasonable following distance as well. Realize in heavy traffic that doesn't always work in your favor as you always have the smart a-- that will try to get in the right lane and them block you from getting back or better yet, attempt to pass on the right.
__________________
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I just have to wonder..... Why worry about how fast someone else is going when they are towing?
Until they kill or injure you that is!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Dasmoeturhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,003
for the past 17,000 miles and 16 states, I've towed from 55-60 mph depending on conditions. I have never been a traffic hazard, and I'm usually in the slow or truckers lanes. I like that speed. I can stop just fine and can avoid obstacles just fine. There is no way anybody can convince that pulling a 17,500 lb 5th wheel going 70-75 mph is safe. I see it everyday, and I just smile at them when the pass me by.

Every single person I've met on the road that has had a blow out that caused damage to the rv told me they were going over 65 mph. When I inform them that those little China bombs they are using are only rated for 65 mph (at best) they say, Oh! I didn't know that. Jeez!
__________________
2017 Forrest River Salem 32bhds TT
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Where ever I park it
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Until they kill or injure you that is!
So, in about 41 years of towing and running my speed and not trying to drive everyone else's vehicles I need to worry about what someone that has passed me and now is in front of me and pulling away? I fail to see what the big worry is because the chances of them crashing right where I am is so slim I would be a major lottery winner before that happens. There is something called "Defensive Driving" that comes into play too. BTW, I have driven wreckers to straight trucks to over the road semi trucks so I think I have some experience towing.
__________________
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St. Augustine
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I just have to wonder..... Why worry about how fast someone else is going when they are towing? I may shake my head at someone running a bit fast, but you are only responsible for your vehicle.
In a thread that's about towing speed you can expect to see opinions about...towing speed. It's a given. Why would you expect something other than that?

Are you arguing that we shouldn't be concerned with hazardous behavior on the highway because that behavior is unlikely to affect us? It seems you are. If so that's a rather shortsighted attitude, and perhaps a selfish one too.

As for your citing your experience towing and driving; well without my knowing you that argument doesn't impress me as I've known fellas who after 30 years at a job still weren't very good at it.
__________________
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
As states increase their speed limits like Ohio from 65mph to 70mph. Utah was xxx now xxx plus, Texas upped their speed limit etc.etc. To me these new higher speed limits makes it more difficult to find a good speed when towing or driving a RV. It is best to go with the flow. Not too slow. I know I do not want cars zooming up on me then zipping around me. That just makes me nervous. Especially in traffic. I try to stay around 72mph. That cuts my mpg by 1 but I am going with the flow better.

The higher speed limits are good for cars but not for us who tow or drive an RV.
I beg to differ slightly. I do not mind cars zipping up behind me and passing. I have observed there is a group of folks in front of me who do not know how or especially when to pass, including trucks.

Too often you see someone driving at say 55 mph and someone following them at 56. It almost appears that they do not check their rear view mirrors before changing to the passing lane (or maybe they are worried the faster guys will pass them) in front of a group of vehicles traveling at 75+. First thing you see is brake lights on a string of vehicles that are now having to avoid a slow moving vehicle in the fast lane passing an even slower vehicle. Same as how often do you see someone coming down the on ramp at 40-50 expecting to merge into traffic flow at 70?

IMO folks can travel in the slow lane at whatever speed they feel comfortable at as long as they stay in the slow lane until there is a large enough gap for them to pass that slow fellow in front of them.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St. Augustine
Posts: 229
Yeah, one shouldn't pull into the fast lane if doing so will make someone in that lane have to hit the brakes. I'll either accelerate into the fast lane to match or exceed the speed of overtaking traffic or I'll wait until the fast lane clears. But never interfere with the flow of overtaking fast lane traffic.
__________________
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #39
Member
 
GoldWing2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Nottingham, PA
Posts: 99
Gordon you are so right, I couldn't agree more. I can't tell you how many times I have had someone going barely faster than the vehicle they want to pass pull out when I or others are going significantly faster and are just about to pass them.

I am convinced that they just want to slow everyone else down and don't care if they might cause an accident or not.
__________________
Rod and Emma
2015 Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL9, 380hp, 28ft Car Hauler Trailer, 2014 Ford, C-Max, 2004 Honda VTX1800, 2003 Honda Gold Wing, GL1800 w/2 Seat Champion Sidecar
GoldWing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
So, in about 41 years of towing and running my speed and not trying to drive everyone else's vehicles I need to worry about what someone that has passed me and now is in front of me and pulling away? I fail to see what the big worry is because the chances of them crashing right where I am is so slim I would be a major lottery winner before that happens. There is something called "Defensive Driving" that comes into play too. BTW, I have driven wreckers to straight trucks to over the road semi trucks so I think I have some experience towing.
Doesn't matter what you experience is, accidents still happen, that's why they call them accidents. I've been driving RV's for 50 years now. and have never had a wreck while driving them, in fact the only wrecks I've ever been involved in were ones where someone ran a stop sign.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Where ever I park it
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
In a thread that's about towing speed you can expect to see opinions about...towing speed. It's a given. Why would you expect something other than that?
I don't have a clue what you mean by this comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Are you arguing that we shouldn't be concerned with hazardous behavior on the highway because that behavior is unlikely to affect us? It seems you are. If so that's a rather shortsighted attitude, and perhaps a selfish one too.
Where are you inferring the 'hazardous' behavior? If you don't like the way someone around you is driving just slow down a little for five to ten minutes OR stop and go pee, get a drink, get out and walk around. Once you get on the road there is a good chance you won't see them again. Plus you have had the chance to relax and won't get caught up in the way they drive. That is selfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
As for your citing your experience towing and driving; well without my knowing you that argument doesn't impress me as I've known fellas who after 30 years at a job still weren't very good at it.
I put that there so that you or anyone else would understand that being on the road is not a new experience for me and maybe I have a SLIGHT amount of experience to back up what I am saying.
__________________
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Where ever I park it
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't matter what you experience is, accidents still happen, that's why they call them accidents. I've been driving RV's for 50 years now. and have never had a wreck while driving them, in fact the only wrecks I've ever been involved in were ones where someone ran a stop sign.
Yes, experience does make a difference. It is called being able keep out of or knowing how to get yourself out of a potential accident. Why do you think most companies that have drivers require experience? But, you are correct, accidents do happen.
__________________

__________________
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford F-350 6.7 V8 Diesel 4WD SRW Crew Cab & Long Bed and Towing Capacity pcuddeback Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 16 10-23-2014 08:37 PM
Towing WenWes Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 21 06-22-2014 10:57 AM
Towing kcereska Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 18 05-13-2014 11:19 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.