Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Towing speeds

Well, just back from a Vegas trip. First time ever. Didn't tow 5'er there but noticed many that did. Also, as I'm sure most of you know, there are good rates, some as low as $16 per day for RV parking. The one other thing I did notice was "towing speeds". Lets just say, 60 - 65 mph was never seen by most unless they didn't have to power to run faster. Generally, when possible, 75 to 80 mph. Up or down hill. After having a China bomb blow at about 50, sure would hate to be them or be around them, if ever a tire blew. Also, amazing of how many cars or other trucks will just hang on the rear bumper of their trailer or motor home. Kind of scary to me. Especially, in UT, where speed limit is 80 and most drive 85 to 90. Don't mind the higher speeds but do my level best to keep some distance between me and some of the crazys. lol Had a wonderful trip and no problems. Will definitely be going back again but next time will tow 5'er.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #2

I don't understand towing much over 60. Is everyone in such a big hurry they can't stay close to the towing limit.
IMHO

Old 04-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
...The one other thing I did notice was "towing speeds". Lets just say, 60 - 65 mph was never seen by most unless they didn't have to power to run faster. Generally, when possible, 75 to 80 mph. Up or down hill...
It should be noted that most trailer tires (those marked ST - special trailer) are only rated for maximum sustained speed of 65mph. Those traveling at higher speeds are asking for trouble.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
And here we go again. This has been beat to death on other threads. OP does make a very good points about speed and following distance.
Although I seldom tow over 65 and usually under, I understand those that are trying to get from point A to point B and trying to stay up with traffic usually 70mph, there is no excuse to pull a trailer over 70 (and that is pushing it). I know the 65mph speed rating on ST tires, but remember that big truck tires are speed rated for 75mph and some of them go over that all the time with few issues.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

Frank, it seems like everyone has an opinion as to the safe "Towing Limit" I say opinion as I have yet to see somewhere where it say this speed is the only safe speed so do not exceed while towing.

My personal feeling is that if towing a pull behind TT the safe limit is 30 mph as too many of them end up on their side. So I believe we should tell those folks to slow down.

If pulling a 5th wheel it should be 65 mph as they are more stable.

If in a Motorhome well just go ahead and drive 70 mph as you deserve it!

My point is that each person has their own opinion and it is just that an opinion!

I really do not believe that anyone should pull faster than 70 mph, but that's just me.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Speed rating on ST tires is 65mph, period. If I go over 65 on mine it's because I'm coasting downhill, not by design
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #7

We run XPS Rib tires. 99 mph speed rating. Still run 65
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #8

I try to tow around 60, maybe up to 65, mostly for gas mileage. I'm not concerned about the tires, they are well maintained, and dought if 5 or ten mph over there rating is going to make them fail ??
Old 04-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #9

The trick isn't towing fast, its having the brains to let faster drivers get by as soon as you can.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #10

I set the cruise for 63. At my age, bad things happen when I get into a hurry!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post

How do you like the XPS Ribs? I've been running them for almost two years and so far very happy with them. I usually tow around 65-70 mph with proper conditions otherwise slower, all depending on roads and traffic. We'll be going East of Nashville an hour or so in June so it'll be a pretty long trip and don't plan on poking around the whole way but not rush either.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #12

Personally, I don't care what anyone else tows at for speed. I only worry about me and if I am towing faster than you I will pass you and if you are towing faster than I am I will get passed by you. I tow at the speed I am most comfortable at and just stay in the right lane as much as I can.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Personally, I don't care what anyone else tows at for speed. I only worry about me and if I am towing faster than you I will pass you and if you are towing faster than I am I will get passed by you. I tow at the speed I am most comfortable at and just stay in the right lane as much as I can.
Right answer
I do drive my speed and let the traffic pass me, including transports and other trailers.
That way I have no one in front and leaves me with plenty of braking space. Of I follow the traffic I need to slow down anyway because cars keep filling my opened space. It's very relaxing driving my own speed with no one in front or running away from me.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
ST tires are limited to 65 MPH. LT tires are speed rated to higher speeds. However, most LT tires are not rated for trailer service. There are very few LT tires rated for trailer service. Michelin XPS is one of them, but none of the other Michelin LT tires are rated for trailer service. Goodyear makes only two expensive 16" LT tires rated for trailer service - G947 RSS Armor Max and G949 RSA Armor Max. Nobody I can find makes LT tires rated for trailer service bigger than LT235/85R16E. And nobody makes them for less than 16" wheel diameter.

You should not run LT tires on a trailer unless those tires are commercial truck tires rated for trailer service (or all position service which includes trailer service).

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing