Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Towing thru Fla (with a 24' boat)

Headed for the Keys in my 40' Allegro Bus and towing a 24' boat . Boat tows great, is about 4200lbs, and the whole rig is 70' long. I think I am a little longer than they like down there. I'm legal in SC .
Anybody with a big long trailer ever been stopped in Fla ?
Think I can sail thru ?

Thanks

Rob
Rmallardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmallardjr View Post
Headed for the Keys in my 40' Allegro Bus and towing a 24' boat . Boat tows great, is about 4200lbs, and the whole rig is 70' long. I think I am a little longer than they like down there. I'm legal in SC .
Think I can sail thru ?

Thanks

Rob
I think you're over the length limit in most states, but I doubt you will get stopped for that.
Good Sam Camping
I would suggest that you make sure you have rear tie down straps from your boat to trailer. I've read a number of times of people being pulled over, in the keys, for not having them.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmallardjr View Post
Think I can sail thru ?

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

You should be fine, but definitely have the rear straps. We are in the keys right now, where are you headed?

Jack
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

All along the Keys in Monroe County there have been numerous reports of getting stopped for no straps, no brakes or working brake lights and over width without a permit. Interestingly, it appears that FL requires brakes on every axle, yet mine is a FL built boat and two axle trailer and only one set of brakes. If you have straps and working brake lights you probably won't draw attention to yourself.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Thanks, almost forgot about the straps ! I am so used to running without them, and only use them on trips. I always tow a nice boat when we go , but this is the first trip with the Allegro Bus and boat. It tows great , we will be fine.

Going to the Grassy Key RV Park. Looks nice. Maybe we catch some tarpon. But April is notorious for the wind.
See you there.........

Rob
Rmallardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
You will like Grassy Key - we spent February there. Only downside is when wind is out of the north, it hits you head on. You will love having the boat right in front of the campground .....
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing