Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Towing Truck Mirrors

We just picked up our 09 Cougar 27RLS and tow with our 06 F150. We have standard mirrors on the truck and thus cannot see down the side to the back of the trailer. Obviously we are in the market for towing extension type mirrors.

We would appreciate any suggestions as to type or things to be aware of and where to buy.

Thanks, Bill & Cheryl, Sparks, Nv.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #2

TascaParts.com
Tasca has factory tow mirrors if you have power options and want to keep them operating. I have a pair that I have not installed yet because they are large and we do not have our TT yet. I get to keep the power features that the original mirrors have.
There are many types of strap on or slip on mirrors. Some work well and some fly off on the hwy!
Read the reviews carefully.
I had a pair of these
Amazon.com: CIPA 11650, Deluxe Door Mount Towing Mirror: Automotive
that I used on my Ranger. They work very well, mount and dismount easily.
They did not shake or vibrate if the windows were up. If you like to have your windows down, you may not like them.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Accessories has the Ford OEM factory telescoping trailer tow mirrors that will fit your truck perfectly, and are easy to R&R. I installed mine today. Click on this link to see a post I made today on the F-150 forum.
Replace outside mirrors with telescoping trailer tow mirrors - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

As noted in that thread and the link included, Ford offers two levels of functionality for my 2012 F-150. But glancing at the parts available for your 2006 they have three for an XLT. (I didn't check the other trim levels). If you order a set of TTTMs from a discount Ford parts dealer, you can probably get a set at a reasonable price.

My favorite discount Ford parts dealer is Tousley Ford Parts. On their website they have three different ones for the XLT:
Manual trailer tow mirror = $368.15 a pair
Power trailer tow mirror without turn signal lights = $388.29 a pair
Power mirror with turn signal = $579.50 a pair

2006 FORD F-150 Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the detailed information. Exactly what we needed.

Bill
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #5

I know you found what you were looking for but I thought I'd throw this out their. When I had my 2005 Toyota Tacoma I couldn't see around my T.T., so I put on Dodge Ram tow mirrors! I don't own that truck anymore because the family out grew it.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
gts

I have a ford f250 super duty I wanted to go to the dpf delete with the programer has anyone did this modification i would love the input
thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts View Post
I have a ford f250 super duty I wanted to go to the dpf delete with the programer has anyone did this modification i would love the input
thanks
You might want to post this in the "POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS" or check them out. I'm sure you will get a quicker response. Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
gts

thanks starGazer-1 im new here sll the topics r kind of related so im still learning thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

No problem, glad I could help out.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer-1 View Post
I know you found what you were looking for but I thought I'd throw this out their. When I had my 2005 Toyota Tacoma I couldn't see around my T.T., so I put on Dodge Ram tow mirrors! I don't own that truck anymore because the family out grew it.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. It looks like it worked out very well. I have a 2008 V8 4Runner and we just bought an 8' TT. All strap on mirrors (tried 4 different ones) don't work on the 4Runner mirrors, so I picked up some used McKesh tow mirrors. They are pretty good, but there seems to be risk of scratching up the windows when raising and lowering them, so I'm not at all happy with the McKesh mirrors. I'm looking for some kind of solution that doesn't involve buying a truck when I don't really want to.

Could I trouble you with a few questions:
Do you happen to know if your 05 Tacoma OEM mirrors and attachment configuration might be the same as the 4Runner?
What year of Dodge Ram were those mirrors off of? Did they bolt up without modification?
Did the power adjustment mechanism work once installed?
Thanks in advance for any info. Much appreciated!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #11

Dual Head XLR Ratchet Clip-On Mirror

Do a search for these mirrors. There strap tightly to the mirrors on my Ram 1500. They are inexpensive and easy to install when towing TT and simple to remove when back home.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you are on a tight budget you may consider these:
Towing Mirrors

I learned about them on another F150 forum, there seems to be pretty good reviews of them or the ones on ebay.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #13

I just odered and installed a set of tow mirrors for my 1998 dodge. I got them from A1 Auto Parts. Power, Heated, And the head folds out. I paid $261.00 for the pair and installed them both myself in about 1-1/2. I love them.
Arthur
Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer-1 View Post

Sorry, for some reason I never got anything about anyone responding to this post till now. Go here:My Towing Mirrors - Tacoma World Forums
I followed up w/ post #43. Good Luck!!

Tags
towing