Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2005, 12:04 PM   #1

I am thinking about purchasing a Jayco Flight 25 ft RKS with a dry weight of 5300+ lbs. I have a 2002 GMC half-ton pick-up with a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. I would like to hear from you about any positives/negatives on towing with this weight ratio. Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2005, 12:04 PM   #2

I am thinking about purchasing a Jayco Flight 25 ft RKS with a dry weight of 5300+ lbs. I have a 2002 GMC half-ton pick-up with a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. I would like to hear from you about any positives/negatives on towing with this weight ratio. Thank you.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Ken Lenger has an excellent spreadsheet (RV and Tow Vehicle Weights) linked in his signature. I'd suggest picking one of his posts and working through the numbers - THIS thread has one of his posts down toward the bottom.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #4

The empty weight of 5300# will put about 20% of its weight onto the bed of your truck. Just dry you are looking a 1060# in your truck bed. Your GVWR of your truck should be on the door post of your truck. Subtract the pin weight from that and that is the maximum weight your truck can weigh before you hitch up your 5er. Weigh your truck and add the extimated weight you will find necessary to carry in the truck. (Mom, kids, dog, tools,hitch etc. I suspect yoou would be better off with a 3/4 ton truck.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #5

^Thank you for your prompt reply. I don't want to buy another vehicle and am trying to get something that suits my wife and I for camping in Texas. We have an old 23 ft TT now that I pull with my GMC half-ton and it does fine, but was wanting to get one just a tad larger. BUT I don't want to harm my truck in any way. Just trying to see how much trailer I can get and still have no problems towing.

Noel
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #6

Sorry, but you're overweight.

By the time you add in any optional equipment that wasn't included in the base model's approximate dry weight, you will be even heavier than 5300. Add a full tank of fresh water, two full cylinders of propane and two batteries, and you're probably over 6K before you even load any food. You will be pushing 7,000 to 7,500 before you know it.

I recently traded up from a 25' TT that had a dry weight of 4,800. My Ram 1500 had a towing capacity of 7,800 and this truck was no longer stock. It was a pretty powerful half ton. On paper, it seemed like a good match. It wasn't. The trailer was well over 5K dry just because of the optional equipment. Add the water, propane, batteries and load the camper for a family of four for a weekend and I hit the scales at around 7K. On longer trips I weighed a little more.

I only towed this setup with my 1500 twice before I was shopping for a 3/4 ton. The truck could move it pretty well, but it was really working hard the whole time. I was very concerned for the longevity of my tow vehicle. And the mileage was horrible. Under the best conditions, I could barely get 8 mpg with this setup. Even worse on hills or traffic. Going uphill from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park on a four lane highway, I was in second gear doing 35. It was not a good setup.

My neighbor went through the same experience just a couple months after me. He had a 1500 Ram with a 5.9L V8, bought a 26' TT a few months after we bought our 25'. His weight was actually a little less than ours. He towed it about three times before he bought a 2500 CTD almost identical to mine.

The good news is that there are trailers out there in your weight range. The Lite models really keep the weight down. You just need to keep shopping. I would suggest that the GVWR of the trailer you buy should be less than the towing capacity of your tow vehicle.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:28 AM   #7

Thank you very much for your honesty. I was afraid of this, thus the posting on the forum. I think I will keep shopping for something lighter. I appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

Noel
Old 05-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #8

I would suggest that you take your TV and weigh it at a cat scales with a full tank of fuel. Find out what it truely weights. Add the weight of your family and whatever woulg go inside of the truck. From there you can determine the tounge weight of the trailer and so forth. There are lots of light weight trailers and even hybrids out there that would work great for you. Good luck with your search.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #9

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been looking on the internet for lightweight TTs and have found one that both the wife and I like and we are planning on going to look at one tomorrow. It's called an "R-Vision Max-Lite", which weighs about 1,000 pounds lighter than the trailer we have been looking at. The pictures look great. Have you or anyone else heard of this line of travel trailers before? And if so, any feedback?

Noel