Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Towing with a Jeep Cherokee

I had asked this question previously, but would really like to hear from someone who has towed a Travel Trailer with a Jeep Cherokee. The Jeep is a 2005, Grand Cherokee, 4.7 L Rocky Mountain edition with Tow Package.

I have had some serious health issues, and want to get back into RV'ing but due to the medical costs, can only afford the tow vehicle I currently have. Yes, I would love to have a pickup, but I have what I have.

We bought a 22 foot Salem Cruise Lite TT, with a weight of 4300 lbs. I did weigh it at a CAT scale.
The tow rating on the Jeep is 6,500 lbs.

I have heard all of the arguments about shorter wheel base, but personally, with the use of caution and not being in a hurry, I am hoping that we can get the job done with the Jeep.

Getting back to RV'ing will be beneficial for us, as this has been a tough year physically, and some RR would be great.

Thank you for your input ahead of time, and we wish all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Evergreen Owners Club
Towing with a Jeep Cherokee

Buckeyes; Hope this will help you out I have a 2001 Toyota 4 Runner and we had a 2008 R Vision lite 23 ft. TT that I had a grand time pulling around I found that the 6cly. was working a little bit more that when I use to pull our pop-up but at the time it worked for us.
I did find that we had a weight & sway distribution hitch put on when we bought the new trailer and I believe it made all the difference towing .....don't get me wrong when you would hit a bump or when you where driving down the highway and you would hit the bridge expansion joints it would bounce a lot because of the short wheel base but it could still get the towing done.

Hope this information helps you out.
Dave
dae3662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #3

When matching a tow vehicle to a travel trailer, this guide is a good beginning (excerpt below);
The First Guideline
(This guideline was first used by the RV Consumers Group rv.org)

For the first 110" of wheelbase, this allows you 20' of trailer.

For each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer.

Wheelbase / Trailer length
110" = 20'
114" = 21'
118" = 22'
and so on
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and I pulled both our 18 foot heavy and a 20 foot lite with it no problems and that was through the mountains here in BC. I did find that both an anti sway bar and a good equalized hitch sure stopped all the swaying and bouncing.

I had to turn off the OD to tow in the mountains but when we got into the flat lands I would slip on the OD and watch for hills and switched it off again. The 318 did a great job of hauling up the hills and passes. I would suggest that you get the fan clutch changed if you will be mountain towing.

I don't think you'd have much trouble towing in Tennessee but better safe than sorry.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

While it will be a bit of an investment, suggest you go with a ProPride hitch to tow with--you will be very happy with the tracking/steadiness of the trailer with that hitch.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I only have what I have, no money for another hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
While it will be a bit of an investment, suggest you go with a ProPride hitch to tow with--you will be very happy with the tracking/steadiness of the trailer with that hitch.
Joe
Thank you for all of the replies, but as I stated, medical bills have left me with the tow vehicle and hitch that we already have. Looking at the Pro Pride, it is far too expensive for me at this time.

Merry Christmas and thank you for all of your input.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
That 22' trailer is the absolute most I would consider towing with your vehicle. For a hitch you cannot beat the tried and true Reese Dual Cam Straightline. It is a little more trouble to to install, but well worth the efort.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I got it hooked up and home, no problems!

I want to thank everyone who gave me input as to whether or not my Jeep G.C. could handle our new TT. Yesterday we went to Ocala and picked it up. The folks at the dealership installed a brake controler, EZ Lift hitch and sway bars.

Pulled it 143 miles home with no problems. We averaged 57-60 mph at 1600-2000 rpms. We are looking forward to a good 2012 and the TT will definately ease the stress of having gone through 15 surgeries this past year.

This is going to be a good Christmas, and better New Year.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to all....
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solved my Dilemma

I solved my towing problem! Traded the Jeep GC for a Ford F-150 Lariat with 5.4 Triton engince. Don't even know the TT is behind me now.
Thanks for all the assistance.

Tags
towing