Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having used Prodigy and then MaxBrake, there is no comparison with the smoothness. The hydraulic based controllers put the P3 in distant 2nd place. So sad that cheaper wins over safe.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Having used Prodigy and then MaxBrake, there is no comparison with the smoothness. The hydraulic based controllers put the P3 in distant 2nd place. So sad that cheaper wins over safe.

Ken
I agree. Safety should always be the first concern. Since the hydraulic controllers don't seem to be an option would the P3 be the next best choice?

Steve

Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The best trailer brake controllers currently available are the integrated trailer brake controllers (ITBC) from the factory. Unfortunately, I can't find an option for an ITBC on a Toy. Ford, GM and Ram all have it, but I can't find it for a Toy - not even an option on a new 2014 Tundra.

Second-best currently-available controller for a Tundra would probably be the Prodigy.

BTW, I'm a Toy fan. My first Toy was a 1986 Camry LE stick shifter - my favorite car so far of the 50-or-so different cars I've owned since my first new one in 1961 - a Ford Fairlane 2-door with three on the tree plus overdrive. Right now my "other car" is a 2013 Venza - stick shift not available but it has a really sweet automagic.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Some sources are saying that MaxBrake is moving from a distributor to a direct sales business model. It might be worth contacting them to see if you can buy direct. I have the following contact information for them:

337-328-2264 (or 2294, I've seen both numbers, but one is probably a typo)

info@maxbrake.com

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Some sources are saying that MaxBrake is moving from a distributor to a direct sales business model. It might be worth contacting them to see if you can buy direct. I have the following contact information for them:

337-328-2264 (or 2294, I've seen both numbers, but one is probably a typo)

info@maxbrake.com

Rusty
Thanks for the research Rusty. Unfortunately the first number is a private residence and the second is disconnected.

Steve
Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdoc973 View Post
Hi all, Is anyone out there towing with a Toyota Tundra 4.6 Ltr. Double Cab with factory installed tow package. I am looking for some suggestions on wdh, sway control, and break controller.
Steve
That's exactly the same truck and engine I have, (a 2011 BTW). However, with my little 17' EggCamper I have no need for wdh or sway control. The trailer manufacturer recommend against them and in the four years I've had it never had even a hint of a problem. I am thinking of getting a larger 21' Escape trailer and will consider wdh and sway control with it, if the manufacturer recommends them.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #21

I been thinking about either the Nissain Titan or the Toyota Tundra 5.7L models , just dunno which one would be better .. How are you guys liking the towing with your Tundras? How much weight are you guys hauling ?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I been thinking about either the Nissain Titan or the Toyota Tundra 5.7L models , just dunno which one would be better .. How are you guys liking the towing with your Tundras? How much weight are you guys hauling ?
Both have adequate power. The decider is 1/2 ton suspension. Dont be overly optimistic about larger TTs. If you tow any weight at all, you must consider the WDH set ups. Our Arctic Fox 22H fully loaded is about 6700 lbs and I wouldn't want any more than that behind our Tundra. Transmission temps don't climb over the mountains and we travel about 60-62mph for various reasons. If I went to a 24' or bigger regardless of weight I would go to a 3/4 ton.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #23

Which Truck

Mark-
Sounds like you have taken into account safety margins and safety equipment; you're doing your homework. Seems like you already know what to do, so are you looking for help on marital justification to purchase a new truck with a larger engine?

From what I've read on these forums, brand choice is a personal experience decision - everyone has their favorite. The advice every "gray-hair" will give you is to pick the brand your wife likes best and then go for it... worked for me.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #24

I tow my attitude toy hauler no problem I do recommend air lift fully loaded hauler weighs 9600 I have a 2008 Toyota tundra sr5 love it my hauler is a 2009 eclipse attitude 26lfs one problem is it uses so much gas I take gas cans and fill my hauler to the top when headed any where secluded air bags psi 55-60 prodigy brake control and a sway bar I also changed out my tires to 10 ply hankook dynapro ATM