Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Towing with a V6 Nissan Frontier manual trans

I think of buying a 4.0L V6 Nissan w/6-speed manual and towing a TT.
TT will weigh about 4500 LBS and be about 23' long.

Is anyone doing this now? If so how is it working? A Frontier is rated to
tow 6500 LBS, with either a manual or auto trans.

My other choices would be a Toyota Tacoma, or a V8 Big 3 truck. Big 3
V6 trucks can't tow very much. So a 4.8L Chevy, or a 4.6L F-150, would
also be possibilities.

DougCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
Doug, if you stay within vehicle manufacturers recommendations for towing, any vehicle will perform satisfactorily. Keep in mind most vehicle manufacturers use a 150# driver,no passengers, no other weights other than 1/4 tank of fuel to obtain curb weight. This means you must calculate how much added weight you plan to add, when ready to go camping, to the truck.
Here is a Tow Vehicle/Trailer Calculations Demonstrator that really helps when attempting to properly and safely match a tow vehicle and trailer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
A V-6 with a 6500 towing cap. I wouldn't want to ask a V-6 to tow near the cap. We have a 24' hybrid with a dry wt. of 3800. I keep it light, so without getting her weighted I'm going to guess I'm at 4600 loaded (no water). I tow with a V-8 4-Runner (Toyota) which has a cap of 7500 for the manual and 7200 for the auto tranny. You have to look at your hitch wt. limits too. That 4500 was that the trailers "dry" wt.?
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we have been the route of a down size tow vehicle (Blazer and an explorer)with a V-6 and a 21' Lite series trailer. It would pull it, but it was not a pleasant chore or trip for more than a couple of hours. Personally, I'd limit my load to about 3500# as a maximum with your truck. Generally the small trucks have a lower towing limit on the standard transmission. You need to check that out.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Just for your info, I towed a 17'TT back in the 70's with a !/2T HD Ford that had LT tires that I doubt the Nisson will have. The TT dry weight was 2300. It towed and handled OK but later I got a 3/4T Ford. I towed the same TT and what a difference in handling. It towed better without the WD bars & sway control than the 1/2T with all those things.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Word from the street, you need more truck than you think. Getting the load going is not the problem. Stopping the load can be just down right dangerous. You think you will not upgrade TT's right now, but trust me you will. Well what are you going to do then? Yo will have to upgrade your tow vehichle also, take it from me start with a real tow vehichle and then get your TT or at least get all the data for your TT and then go Tow veheichle shopping to ensure you can actually to it safely.
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Excel Owners Club
I might as well pile on. I towed a 3,000-pound hybrid with a half-ton 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 and considered it marginal in the mountains. I didn't trust the transmission to make it over Vail Pass for many more trips. Never thought I would upgrade, but it took me just 3 years to outgrow that trailer. Then I ended up with the stuff you see listed at the bottom of this post. Like CD wrote below, the new truck towed the old trailer better and safer without the WD hitch and anti-sway device that the old truck did with all that stuff. Do yourself a big favor and get the most truck you can afford. You won't be sorry.

My 2.

Bill & Deb Karsell
Excel Winslow D28RLW w/ Hydralift and rear camera
2009 Ford F-250 4X4 SRW-SB 6.4L diesel King Ranch Nav & Sync, Pullrite 16K SuperGlide
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote