Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Towing with a van

I am towing a 29' Terry Resort (6700lbs loaded) with a 1991 Chevy G30 Sportvan (8-lug, one ton). My total vehicle and trailer weight is just over 12K. I contacted GM and they told me that based upon my VIN # my tow capacity is 2000lbs. This just seems inaccurate. I have no problem rolling down the road at 65-70mph (hills can be a challenge). I have 10K hitch, a weight distribution rig and an over-sized tranny cooler. This is the 5.7L 350 passenger model. I'm just looking for some peace of mind before I set out on 6000 mile trip. I can't find anything on the web and I don't have the owners manual. Thoughts?
LOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

The 2,000 lbs. TTC may be based on factory equipment , no trany cooler, & a bumper hitch. Did they give any indication of Gross Combined Weight Rating. Do you have your axle weights with the trailer attached ?
If your over the axle weight ratings with the trailer attached , loaded ready for travel, JMHO. you're asking for trouble. I'd sure want to look into insurance, if your in an accident and charged with being overloaded it may void your policy.
And again JMHO. Slow down , you'll get better fuel economy and give yourself more time to react with your heavy load to traffic situations.
BTW. Welcome to iRV2. sorry to get heavy on your first visit.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Maybe the dealer didn't know better and the 2k lbs was for CCC of the van, but not total trailer weight?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a link to a manual about the '91 Sportvan. It depends on what differential gear ratio you have, springs, etc. Towing info starts on pg. 28.

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs...olet-G-Van.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #5

Camping Life Magazine, web site , has tow ratings back to 91 and list a G-30 van with gas 350 v-8 engine and 4:10 gears at 6500 lbs. MAX , that amount is calculated for an empty van with only a driver , so all passengers and cargo in the van will reduce the allowable trailer weight.
Hitch weight max 1000lbs.
99% certain your overweight , if your description is accurate @ 6700 for the trailer.
And if you gearing is other than 4:10 your TTC is even lower, as per the manual in Bob's post.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
I don't know enough about your set up to give any advice.

Regardless, I'd hate to be the person in front of you when you are in a situation where you have to stop quickly, going 70 mph, and you are grossly over weight.

You said you have a 6K mile trip that you are about to start out on. You wanted some piece of mind..... Maybe you should consider upgrading the tow vehicle to one that results in you being under the tow limits versus over.

I'd hate to pass you at the side of the road with your differential sitting on the ground, or worse situations that I can only imagine...

Good luck!
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #7

In 1991 the frames on vehicles were not a strong suit. Neither were brakes or suspension. In 1991 pop-up trailers were the norm.

IMHO that is too much weight for that Van. In a 6,000 mile trip there will be bad roads, construction, and traffic.

Is there a way you can get a much lighter trailer. I am thinking something easy to handle in an emergency.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

Coastal Campers
We have a 1995 Chevy G20 (3/4 ton) van with the 5.7L V-8 and 3.73 gears. It has a Quigley 4x4 conversion, so the tow rating was 6500 lbs. Our first trailer was close to that gross weight. It had a highway "sweet spot" where it liked to cruise at about 58 mph, but hills and headwinds we were a problem, and 45 mph was about the best we could do. We were going to kill the old girl, so we got a Ford E350 with the 6.0L diesel, and the problem was solved ....
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTV View Post
I am towing a 29' Terry Resort (6700lbs loaded) with a 1991 Chevy G30 Sportvan (8-lug, one ton). My total vehicle and trailer weight is just over 12K. I contacted GM and they told me that based upon my VIN # my tow capacity is 2000lbs. This just seems inaccurate. I have no problem rolling down the road at 65-70mph (hills can be a challenge). I have 10K hitch, a weight distribution rig and an over-sized tranny cooler. This is the 5.7L 350 passenger model. I'm just looking for some peace of mind before I set out on 6000 mile trip. I can't find anything on the web and I don't have the owners manual. Thoughts?
I suspect you talked to the village idiot at GM. Your GVWR is probably 8,600 pounds and your GWR is probably 12,000 pounds.

With your GCW (combined total vehicle and trailer weight) just over 12k, compared to 12k GVCWR then that's no disaster. The GCWR is a measurement of your pulling power. So climbing steep grades will be no picnic. You'll probably be the slowpoke holding up traffic going up the mountain pass, so try to pick routes that have minimum steep hills and passes.

Your GVWR of 8,600 pounds is a more serious matter. You probably have a van so you can haul lots of people and stuff. And you can do that, but you probably cannot haul a van full of people and stuff and tow a 6,700-pound TT at the same time without exceeding the GVWR of your van.

Before you hit the road, remove any weight you can from inside the van and trailer. Be certain the grey water and black water holding tanks are empty. Have only enough fresh water in the fresh water holding tank to flush the potty while on the road. Leave all the heavy dishes and pots and pans at home. Haul minimum canned goods and drinks- buy that stuff near the destination.

ASAP on the road, weigh the rig on a truck scale, full of gas with all the people and stuff on board. Add the weight of the front and rear van axles and compare the total to the GVWR of the van. If you're overloaded, then realize you must drive very carefully.

If you're not overloaded, enjoy the trip.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTV View Post
But, can you STOP it? You admit that hills are a challenge, why not stopping?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing