Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Towing with a van

Just thought I would show a picture of my tow vehicle and ask for Any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4023.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	154574  
mt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt92 View Post
Just thought I would show a picture of my tow vehicle and ask for Any suggestions.
The problem with a van for towing a trailer is that the van has room inside to haul a lot of weight in the van as well as the hitch weight of a trailer. But the limiter (if not the receiver hitch weight limits) is the payload capacity for people, stuff, and hitch weight. Yours appears to be overloaded.

I would weigh the wet and loaded rig on a CAT scale before you get to your next RV park or campground. Stop at a truck stop that has a CAT scale, fill up with fuel, and weigh the wet and loaded rig with everybody and everything in the rig.

The CAT scale report will give you 4 weights:
1] Front axle
2] Rear axle
3] Trailer axles
4] Gross combined weight

Add the weights on the front and rear van axles to get GVW. Compare the GVW to the GVWR of the van. That's the one where you're most likely to be overloaded.

Compare the weight on the rear axle of the van to the rGAWR of the van.

Compare the combined weight on all axles of the rig to the GCWR of the van.

Compare the trailer axle weight to the combined GAWR of the trailer.

Those first three comparisons tell you if the van is overloaded. The last comparison will tell you if the trailer is overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

I just looked and Explorer re- labeled the van since the interior conversion. The GVWR is now at 9600LBS. I will definitely weigh it and see how it looks. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It doesn't look like you have a WD hitch. While it won't solve an overall overweight problem it will help to level out the van.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 AM   #5

I do have a WD hitch but didn't have it on for the picture. The van is a one ton diesel, do you think there be a overall weight problem? Airbags might be a good idea?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #6

Coastal Campers
Over the years, I have owned 5 vans, and towed with three of them. The conversion vans capacity is limited due to the weight of the conversion, the "softer" springs often used to improve the ride, and the unfortunate fact that most converters start with a half ton or 3/4 ton van. You are fortunate in having a one ton and no fiberglass hi-top to add extra weight. You really need to haves it weighed to be sure, but our current Ford/Quigley E350 diesel 4x4 regular passenger van works great with a 34' 8600lb trailer . The last van had airbags, which worked fine to help level the van. Current van has Roadmaster Load Levelers which also work well. Neither increases capacity, just level things out.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #7

Just on our way home from a 2000 mile tow with our 2014 3500 chev. van 6 liter gas. Towing 2017 28' rockwood lite this is the first trip with this setup and I could not be happier. You don't see a lot of vans towing but if you don't overload I like it.
pipefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

Mt92, question off topic, do you camp up at airventure in Oshkosh Wisconsin?
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old family friends dumped the 5er and pick-up for a big TT and 1 ton van.

The reason was 3 parts for them:
- The 5th Wheel hitch is just a huge space waste and prohibits a bed cap, so what can go in the bed was exposed.
- The 5er hitch was so dramatically different to the driver, that they never got used to it.
- Grandma was coming along and they wanted a bit more room for the rear seating than their crew cab.

I've never heard a legit argument to the space reasons above...just the way it is.
For the second reason, the hitch is different...also no argument. But many prefer a 5er...Not these folks. A bumper hitch with a weight distribution hitch is very stable and can be maneuvered very well if you know what you're doing.

For the OP, just be sure to avoid loading overweight and a legacy American made van makes a very good tow vehicle...the Eurovan's (Sprinter, Transit, Promaster)...not so much.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:56 AM   #10

Thanks for the comments. I had to get a different hitch to level up the trailer and I am using a WD hitch now. We have been on two short trip so far and it pulls great. The diesel in the van does awesome! Here is a picture now that is is leveled up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4069.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	157104  

Tags
tow, towing