Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconswife View Post
Well, we got our travel trailer, a Keystone 35bhs. We used The Beast to bring it home to S. Texas from GA and decided we needed a different tow vehicle. I think the van is an awesome vehicle, especially for our crew, but we're going to be towing a 9Klb, unloaded, tt through the Rockies, and The Beast could barely handle the very mild hills we crossed along I-20W from Atlanta to Jackson, Ms. So, we got an Excursion, and are looking for a new home for The Beast.
What beast are you talking about and how didn't it handle the hills?

The Excursion, which drivetrain in it?

Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #16

I call our van The Beast. It is a Ford e350, diesel, 9 passenger. It has a serious brush guard on the front, not a toy aluminum one. It is a great long distance vehicle, but not for towing a heavy and long trailer. It ran hot on hilly terrain. The extended wheel base seems to have contributed to trailer sway. The Beast itself just didn't feel stable. We contemplated installing guages for oil temp and such, a dually conversion, and I can't remember what else my husband had in mind. But, we are only 4 months out from our live-and drive-from San Antonio to Anchorage. Of those few short months, my husband will only be home two of them and we have things that must be done to the house prior to putting it on the market. Many of these things, I cannot do by myself like replacing and repairing the fence. So, with time constraints being what they are, we had to prioritize and cut some corners. Getting a new tv was the path of least resistance. I do hope to replace The Beast with another van, preferably one that is 4wd, in Alaska. I love driving a van, especially with our many pint sized passengers, but 4x4 will probably come in handy up there.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #17

Hrmmm...
a few things you mentioned are a little off, sorry to be one of those nit pickers.
I guess I have some knowledge on Ford's van, so I'll chime in.
as for the vans, there was only one wheel base but two bodies. Regular (8 passenger) and extended (15 passenger). Commercial vehicles aside.
I didn't catch which diesel you had, but it shouldn't matter too much. Either of them are fine for towing the weight you had, I had the 7.3PSD and it used to get a little warm but far from the worry point, only about 7-10 deg above unloaded temps. The trans on the other hand needs to have a larger transmission cooler installed. The cooler from the 6.0 PSD usually did the trick. Anything above 215 was the worry point, 225 and above was the oh boy! point.
Now for the trailer sway, As you see in my past pictures I have towed with two extended body vans, one with the 7.3PSD and one with the V10 and with the proper W/D hitch and correctly setup I've never had any issues towing and I've towed many thousands of miles.
I'd say there was a serious problem with how your rig was setup. Not to be rude. But which W/D hitch did you have/had?
Another reason for poor towing is the tires on the van, Did you have E load tires properly inflated? I mention PSI because once I started towing and felt some odd behavior just into a trip and remembered that I didn't air up, Opps! once I put 75PSI all around it was back to normal.

OK, the Excursion... did you know it's nearly identical to the van's drivetrain (motors & trans) but with a softer suspension?

And no matter which tow vehicle you or anyone uses, proper guages for trans temp, motor temp at the minimum are honestly needed (EGT guage for turbo powered). With out those you're in the dark on how your vehicle is doing. Relying on the factory dash is asking for a very unpleasant surprise.

I hope I wasn't too rude, Just trying to understand and help.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #18

If you would, could you tell me which year, motor Excursion you are getting?
I'd like to look up the specs and compare it to your 2006 E350 6.0 diesel.

I have a odd feeling that you might have went backwards or just the same.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #19

OK, I just looked up the spec of both, the 6.0 diesel Van and the 6.0 diesel Excursion.
Van is listed at 10,000 Max
Excursion is listed at 11,000 Max.

Now if you got a V10 Excursion, it's "Maximum towing capacity: 7600 lbs."
And the 7.3 PSD Excursion it's "Maximum towing capacity: 10000 lbs."

So how does my research effect you?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #20

Ok, to clarify:
We have the extended van, but it has the 9 passenger seating configuration. It's a low-top conversion van with 6 leather captains chairs and an electric sofa in the back, 20" drop down screen, 2 dvd players, etc etc etc. If it were up to me, I'd keep the van. You have no idea how annoying "Moooommmmy!!! He's touching meeeee!" can be when screamed in a high pitch whine over and over. The van totally solved that problem- they couldn't reach each other! BUT, and this really is a big but, my husband prefers the excursion.
The people we got the van from beat the snot out of it. It was used as a ranch truck of all things, towing cattle trailers and such. Maintenance was not done as needed. We've already sunk so much money into it, but there is still so much wrong. And there is the not so little matter of how it has performed towing the trailer from GA to TX and around S. TX, overheating. It needs guages, too. I need a reliable vehicle; being broken down with 5 small kiddos is not fun. And, the excursion has 4 wheel drive, which is more in tune with what we like to do- get off the beaten path.

I guess if time and money were not luxury items and I had them in abundance, I would have the van fixed up to my specifications....or just buy a new one, made to order. But this is the real world and in it, I have a budget. I also have my husband home for only 6 more weeks. During that time, there are things that he must do. Then, when he leaves, it's going to be up to me to deal with getting everything packed, cleaning and painting the house, meeting with the realtor....Time is not on our side, and neither is money.

I think part of our problem with sway was our hitch. We have an Equalizer 12Klb...I'm not impressed. Driving 55mph from TX to GA for the holiday...we pulled over at a rest area and my husband did his routine check of everything. The *(&(*& bolt had sheared off. He dropped the trailer and drove around, looking for a new bolt. Got a hitch pin. That got us to GA (replacing it about 1/2 way with another hitch pin b/c that one had bent). Bought a new bolt with a higher tensile strength (?) in GA. Turned around and came home. Checked it out again. The piece of crap! One of the welds are now failing and the slot where the sway bar goes is cracked. So, I really think a better hitch would help. Even if it doesn't, this hitch is being recycled and we're going to get a Pro Pride or HA before moving the tt again.

To further add to the sway, I suspect we need to increase our tongue weight. I'm on how to do so with our floor plan, though. It's set up so that most of the weight is in the back! There is very limited storage in the front (our bedroom)- even combined with the pass through storage. The back, however, has a slide with 3 bunkbeds, a big exterior storage area, and another bunk with an armoir type thing under it! It just isn't balanced. I have been working on some ideas for book storage in our room as well as incorporating a baby bed/side car bed....I'm going to load it up with everything I'm taking on our trip and take it to the scales. I'll keep weighing the darn thing until I have it right....even if that means adding sand bags!!

Van tires are E rated, fully inflated.

"OK, the Excursion... did you know it's nearly identical to the van's drivetrain (motors & trans) but with a softer suspension?" Hmm...my husband said that the suspension is softer on the van and there are more springs on the Excursion. I don't remember the number, but he was surprised because the van is an E350 and the Excursion is basically a 250. (Sorry, I was only listening with 1/2 an ear.)

And no matter which tow vehicle you or anyone uses, proper guages for trans temp, motor temp at the minimum are honestly needed (EGT guage for turbo powered). With out those you're in the dark on how your vehicle is doing. Relying on the factory dash is asking for a very unpleasant surprise. <---Yep, we figured this out since the van's guages are USELESS! The Excursion has some oil temp and other guages going up the front of it, along the part between the windshield and the driver's door. Sorry, I don't know what they are- again, I wasn't interested. He does most of the driving; I only drive around town and refuse to tow the trailer. I tried. I cried. Never again. But, maybe it was the hitch....either way, I'll stick with playing with the kids and being navigator. Oh, and it is the 6.0L....The van is the 7.3L.

I hope I wasn't too rude, Just trying to understand and help.[/QUOTE] <----Not rude at all. As I said, if I could afford to (money and time) give the van the facelift it needs with guages and such, I would. It would make our upcoming trip SO much better! I guess the kids are either going to learn to get along on this trip or someone is going to ride on the roof rack.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #21

ok
Enjoy.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #22

I just got my conversion van last weekend. I am going to be towing a Jayco 21m. I am very unsure about how low my new van is sitting. I have the equalizer hitch, but I don't know if I will be able to adjust it so I tow level. I noticed a picture of a similar set up a few pictures up. What hitch is that sitting up so high?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #23

What hitch is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywiredogs View Post
We tow with a van too. We have a 97 Chevy with low mileage. We added a super huge tranny cooler and so far she pulls great.

Attachment 13663

What hitch is that? I just got a conversion van. I'm worried I wont be able to tow level.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgschmieg3 View Post
What hitch is that? I just got a conversion van. I'm worried I wont be able to tow level.
Don't know which hitch he has. But, I just purchased a Hensley and anticipate zero sway. Did a couple months research, talked to a bunch of drivers and read more literature than I ever dreamed of reading. Looking forward to several thousand miles of calm trailering this spring/summer.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #25

Coastal Campers
New to this board ....

... and therefore late chiming in about vans, but I am a van lover for a long time - have driven vans since the kids were toddlers - our first was a 1983 Chevy conversion.

We love to surf fish, and need to have a 4x4 vehicle for the beach. Vans are perfect because we can hang 12' surf rods inside without taking them apart.

Our first tow vehicle was a 1995 Chevy/Quigley G20 4x4 with 5.7L gasser, 3.73 gears. It did OK with our 6500 pound Jayco JayFeather LGT 29N, but she was old and tired, and we were going to do her in pulling the trailer. We still have her - she is the dedicated surf fishing vehicle.

"Moby" is a 2005 Ford/Quigley E350 4x4 with the 6.0L Powerstoke diesel and 4:10 gears. It is a Chateau Superduty - think airport limo-van. I had no problem with the Jayco, and also handles our newer 2012 Outback 277RL at about 8000 pounds without much of a problem.

We love vans as tow vehicles and people haulers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0434 (640x230).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	24698   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	24699  

Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	24700   Click image for larger version

Name:	PineVal2009_0908AG.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	24701  

WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #26

Very nice! I agree that 6500# is about the limit for a V8.. My 5.4L tows it well, but I don't think I'd be happy pulling any more with it.

Vans are the most useful vehicles, I find.

Tags
kz-rv, towing, van